Subdued Vietnam "Twill" Sleeve Ranks Outside Of Vetmam

patches

post-34986-0-71438800-1483675281.jpgpost-34986-0-66521700-1483675464.jpg

An example, on one S/Sgt Willie R. Holt at Bragg in 1969 wears the type. Interesting he's a Drill Sergeant, I mentioned some where in an older topic that I seen these subdued type before on a non RVN item once, in a vintage clothing store in Manhattan, on a M51 field jacket, a drill sergeant too, all other insignia subdued, 3rd Army and all, it was in good/fair condition, significant wear, but a huuge price tag :lol:

post-34986-0-50081400-1483675623.jpg

Holt was in the 101 in Nam, no luck on finding more info online on him, sub unit etc etc.

So what? You should have bought it, as I would have loved to see a photo of it!

Not for 375 bucks :lol:, and that was like 2006, the store was Cheap Jacks in NYC, not cheap I'd say :lol:

wow. Even for one of those stores in NYC, that's a stupid price. (At least these days, you can take out the 'ol phone and take some good photos.)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

post-1761-0-50246000-1520432355.jpg

Another great foto find by member seanmc1114 (posted a few days ago in Patches in Action). This, a 3rd Armd Div Spec 5 in West Germany in 1968. The first time in this topic we're seeing the type on a Non Drill Sergeant.

• 3 weeks later...

post-1761-0-50246000-1520432355.jpg

Another great foto find by member seanmc1114 (posted a few days ago in Patches in Action). This, a 3rd Armd Div Spec 5 in West Germany in 1968. The first time in this topic we're seeing the type on a Non Drill Sergeant.

He appears to have a right sleeve patch which likely means he served in Vietnam. I'm guessing he just kept his VN stripes rather than sewing on the full color green/gold rank .

• 2 months later...
mysteriousoozlefinch

As requested by Patches, 33rd Infantry Brigade Sergeant and Staff Sergeant wearing subdued insignia during the 1968 riots in Chicago.

ogkLpqg.jpg

Another example of non Drill Sergeants wearing these. It would be interesting to see if these two Illinois National Guardsmen are both Nam vets, to see if they got combat patches.

• 11 months later...

A Spec 4, a non infantry U.S. Army Vietnam Vet of the 24th Infantry Division (M), worn maybe at Ft Reilly Kansas circa 1969-70 or by that elmt of the division still in West Germany during the same period.

(posted originally by member hardhead a ways back)

post-34986-0-20193300-1557541351_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

My father wearing jungles fatigues with subdued rank insignia at Fort Gordon, Georgia - early 1968. This was during the period he was serving in an AIT unit as part of the On The Job Training Phase of the NCO Candidate Course before he went to Vietnam.

post-1761-0-98746600-1563975704_thumb.jpg

Members of the 101st Airborne Division wearing subdued rank insignia on their jungle fatigues at Fort Campbell, Kentucky in late 1967 prior to deployment to Vietnam.

post-1761-0-56731200-1563976026.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2019 at 6:53 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Members of the 2nd Infantry Division in Korea

post-1761-0-97335000-1563976401_thumb.jpg

Wow see how the one GI is wearing a Subdued 2nd Division patch but is wearing a Full Color Americal Division Combat Pach

• 2 weeks later...

Also interesting that some have rank on the collar and some on the sleeve. Am I right in thinking that the pin-on collar rank started in Vietnam? It would make sense since jungle uniforms likely had to be changed out multiple times for troops who spent a lot of time in the field and they likely wouldn’t want to take the time to sew on rank insignia for a uniform that was probably going to be swapped for another one when it became unserviceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Martinjmpr said:

Also interesting that some have rank on the collar and some on the sleeve. Am I right in thinking that the pin-on collar rank started in Vietnam? It would make sense since jungle uniforms likely had to be changed out multiple times for troops who spent a lot of time in the field and they likely wouldn’t want to take the time to sew on rank insignia for a uniform that was probably going to be swapped for another one when it became unserviceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was only towards late 68 that the enlisted collar rank insignia's both metal and cloth started to be seen more and more in Vietnam itself, they were worn in one form or another a little earlier, these being South Vietnamese made, but there use them in say the 66-67 period was not widespread at all. it was also around this time. late-sh 68 that U.S. made examples started to be made both metal and cloth, the cloth base cloth being OD Cotton Sateen, already the subdued OD Cotton Sateen officers ranks and branch of service cloth insignia  and CIBs, CMBs  and Jump Wings etc were already being made a little earlier in 1967, basically for wear in South Vietnam rather than outside of it.

Late 1968,  this was the time remember that the army prescribe the wearing of only subdued insignia on fatigue items, and taking its cue from the very practical enlisted metal and cloth collar rank badges that originated in South Vietnam decided to adopt this type for the whole army. By mid to late 1969 the subdued sleeve rank badges had largely disappeared and could only be seen here and there being worn, it being replaced by the metal and cloth collar rank badges, now U.S.. made types would also be seen alongside Vietnamese made types. As for the army outside of Southeast Asia and throughout the 70s in to at least in my day in the early 80s it was a mere personnel preference as to which one you would wear, cloth ? or metal ? on fatigue items and steel helmet covers both where thoroughly authorized with one not being prescribed over the other.

• 3 weeks later...

A shirt sold long time ago with its images still floating about see's a Sergeant E-5 Type of the 4th Army, a Cadre Instructor at Fort Polk Louisiana's Basic or AIT courses would be my first guess late 1968 into 1970.

smu.jpg

s600.jpg

On 3/14/2021 at 7:01 AM, seanmc1114 said:

South Korea around 1967/1968.

2nd Infantry Division.Korea.1967-1968.Subdued Twill Rank.jpg

More like 1968-69 Sean as he's wearing the new Pfc ranks.

Another find, MACV Vet now stateside in a unit under 1st Army, 1967-69 say, this time with In Country made Spec 5 subdued sleeve ranks.

-US-ARMY-MACV-1st-PATTERN-OG1.jpg

US-ARMY-MACV-1st-PATTERN-OG107-_57.jpg

VIETNAM-WAR-US-ARMY-MACV-1st-PATTERN-OG107-_57.jpg

us army.jpg

• 11 months later...