Ruined pilot wing

Tonomachi

I saw this at the flea market today and thought forum members would like to see what someone did to a WW2 era full size NS Meyers command pilot wing with correct rear pin that only opens up halfway. Although you can't tell in the scans the top of the shield shows where someone broke off the wreath and star.

post-1389-1223269386.jpg

post-1389-1223269403.jpg

Aussie-Wings

What a waste of a beautiful wing (should be made a criminal act). There are plenty of crappy copies around without doing this. crybaby.gif

AW.

I saw this at the flea market today and thought forum members would like to see what someone did to a WW2 era full size NS Meyers command pilot wing with correct rear pin that only opens up halfway. Although you can't tell in the scans the top of the shield shows where someone broke off the wreath and star.

Good on you to have collected it, however.

Probably a product of the 80s fashion trend where random military pins and medals were used as "flair" for jacket lapels.

Well I have seen many wings with the shielf poilshed off like this. Some with nicely down work others like this... I picked up a wing recently and the guy added in one with the shield polished off since thet came from the same estate.

Who knows the real story...

John

IMPERIAL QUEST

Sloppy "engraving" aside, I have come across a few wings with the shield polished down smooth in my searching recently. I wonder if this was a way of indicating that the pilot was no longer on flying status or mustered out? Perhaps they were worn in civilian attire (unofficially of course) as a sign that they had served...but no longer??

Did you see this at a flea market in the San Francisco Bay Area/Norther California? I remember there was vintage jewelery dealer who frequented the De Anza College flea market that had this exact wing (or its twin) for YEARS in the 1990's. It has to be the same one, as I remember seeing it month after month for several years, but I haven't been back in several years now.

Vance

Did you see this at a flea market in the San Francisco Bay Area/Norther California? I remember there was vintage jewelery dealer who frequented the De Anza College flea market that had this exact wing (or its twin) for YEARS in the 1990's. It has to be the same one, as I remember seeing it month after month for several years, but I haven't been back in several years now.

Vance

That is the guy and he wanted forty five dollars for this wing. I didn't buy it but he let me take a photograph of it so I could share it with forum members.