usmc pathfinder

totenkopf74

Hello Again Guys

I 'm Very Curious about this Pocket patch ...I think that is a Modern era ,is Right?

I'm very Glad to Know More Info or Else .

Regards

post-162492-0-86744700-1483615872_thumb.jpg

Well, not really modern. It looks like it is probably Taiwanese made late 70's through the 80's. Semper Fi - Jeff

I don't really have a definite answer to your question but an observation regarding these USMC Pathfinder shield shaped patches. I've seen a fairly large number of these patches for sale over the years on eBay and have always wondered if they were authentic novelty type patches of the period when there were USMC Pathfinder Platoons or if they were being reproduced somewhere in Asia. The use of the US Army silver paratrooper wings in the design instead of the gold USMC paratrooper wing usually indicates an early novelty type USMC Recon patch. So if these patches were made in Taiwan circa 1970s and 1980s as CUBUSMC has stated then my guess is that these patches are reproductions because the Army style silver paratrooper wing was replaced with the USMC gold paratrooper wing around 1963 and this change was also reflected in the novelty type patches. I have one of these patches in my collection as well as another you come across on occasion which I think was made in Japan or Okinawa and might be an original period piece due to its construction.

post-1389-0-18149100-1483647479.jpg

post-1389-0-12757300-1483647497.jpg

I don't really have a definite answer to your question but an observation regarding these USMC Pathfinder shield shaped patches. I've seen a fairly large number of these patches for sale over the years on eBay and have always wondered if they were authentic novelty type patches of the period when there were USMC Pathfinder Platoons or if they were being reproduced somewhere in Asia. The use of the US Army silver paratrooper wings in the design instead of the gold USMC paratrooper wing usually indicates an early novelty type USMC Recon patch. So if these patches were made in Taiwan circa 1970s and 1980s as CUBUSMC has stated then my guess is that these patches are reproductions because the Army style silver paratrooper wing was replaced with the USMC gold paratrooper wing around 1963 and this change was also reflected in the novelty type patches. I have one of these patches in my collection as well as another you come across on occasion which I think was made in Japan or Okinawa and might be an original period piece due to its construction.

I agree and I too have seen these for a long time.I always considered these a novelty type patch, not authorized or worn on a uniform.I have seen them U.S. made to Japanese made.Both of yours look older, at least the 80's.TOTENKOPF yours reminds me of the Philippine made patches I have seen.

Yes, the last picture appears to be Japanese made, probably 60's to 70's. Remember, Marines do not wear patches other than aviation squadron insignia so you can consider most post 1947 Marine patches as novelty patches. That being said, Marines love to wear patches on the civilian jackets and I have seen them on plaques forever. As far as the gold USMC/Navy wing verses the silver Army style wing. I am sure they have never changed it from the original design since it is just a novelty, in fact, I will bet that I could still go to Camp Lejeune and find this design in one of the many surplus stores. Now, I am not a airborne Marine, but it was told by my XO who had gold wings and spent three years with Anglico that a Marine was issued the silver jump wings after completing either Army or Navy Jump School. Then he would earn the gold Navy style wings once assigned to an actual jump status unit with the completion of 5 jumps. If there are any Recon Marines out there, please correct me if I am wrong. Semper Fi - Jeff

You are correct Jeff. Marines earn the Army silver wings when completing basic airborne training . The "gold" wings are awarded for proficiency - must be in a jump billet and completed 10 jumps of various types. I'd be curious to hear what a current airborne Marine has to offer. I know towards the end of my career HQMC was talking about basically starting our own jump school that would take a Marine from basic to free fall. The Corps would no longer send Marines to Benning. I was involved in these discussions as a result of my job at Bragg and there was actually sound reasoning for doing this. I've heard that came to fruition but would be interested to hear more..

• 1 year later...

IIRC, I got this patch at one of the big patch stores on the Honcho in Yokuska off of a display board in 1975. If not there, at the patch store in the Halleria in Napoli from a board in 77-78. Time flies......I just thought it was cool, I didn't go to Pathfinder School until 1988. I have absolutely no idea why it has "Systeme Nouveau" on it vs "Pathfinder." We used to discuss the CO unveiling his latest "screw over the troops plan," so it may be something not complimentary or may just be a catch phrase in a unit. You don't have to be a francophone to understand the literal translation.

post-5029-0-30759300-1525135990.jpg

You are correct Jeff. Marines earn the Army silver wings when completing basic airborne training . The "gold" wings are awarded for proficiency - must be in a jump billet and completed 10 jumps of various types. I'd be curious to hear what a current airborne Marine has to offer. I know towards the end of my career HQMC was talking about basically starting our own jump school that would take a Marine from basic to free fall. The Corps would no longer send Marines to Benning. I was involved in these discussions as a result of my job at Bragg and there was actually sound reasoning for doing this. I've heard that came to fruition but would be interested to hear more..

The Raiders of Marsoc and Recon Marines (at least until recently)go thru the Navy Parachute Course on the left coast, same as the SEALS. Not sure about ANGLICO. I have in the recent past heard that the Raider Training Bn. was looking at setting up a course, which dovetails with what you heard. IDK where that is in the process.

manayunkman

I had a Marine Vietnam group and this Marine wore his patches on his underwear.

That is what he told me when I found them down in the basement rag bin.