WWII Steel pocket knife*** Knife, Pocket, General Purpose

Misfit 45

Hi Folks,

Here is a collection of WWII stainless pocket knives showing some of the configurations to be had. I realize that this is not an exhaustive comparison, but it does show some differences that may not be common knowledge.

During WWII, the Army called this item, Knife, Pocket, General Purpose and the Marines called them, Knife, Pocket, Utility.

The numbers 1-7 are in somewhat chronological order, number one having the earliest features. All knives shown are brass lined and I only included knives presumed to be from the WWII period. I included two Stevenson knives at the end of the list, but I omitted the Robeson/Stevenson knife due to the fact that it is in a category all its own. I am making the assumption that 1st version knives were made before 2nd version knives, but recognize that there must have been a blurring of features common to both versions.

Just for clarification, collectors of these knives group them into 1st version (or arrangement) and 2nd version. The 1st version is identified by its main blade and screwdriver being located on the same end of the knife. The 2nd version switched the positon of the screwdriver and the can opener. This switch, positioned the can opener so it could lay flat against the can to make the can opener easier operate.

No.1 Kingston marked on clevis, 1st version, made for US Army. Shows some hint of bluing on blades and springs.

No.2 Kingston 1st version totally unmarked, Army, polished bright blades.

No.3 Kingston 1st version unmarked clevis with “U.S. Marine Corps” on one scale. Polished bright blades. (the Marines marked their knives, so if the scales do not say “Marine Corps”, then it is an Army knife.

No.4 Kingston/ U.S. 45 marked on each side of clevis. 1st version.

No.5 Kingston marked on clevis. 2nd version, “U.S. Marine Corps” on one scale.

No.6 Stevenson U.S.A., 2nd version with unmarked scales.

No.7 Stevenson-45, 2nd version marked US on both scales.

post-26996-0-72264600-1483413162_thumb.jpg

Here are the clevis markings of the 5 of 7 that are marked. No. 4 is marked on both sides of the clevis. Kingston and U.S. 45.

post-26996-0-20375800-1483413592.jpg

post-26996-0-45385200-1483413608.jpg

post-26996-0-42314500-1483413622.jpg

Main Blades: Notice that the three 2nd version blades (nos. 5-7) have the thumb nail nick moved closer to the end of the blade. Notice no. 4 has Made in USA on the blade which is consistent with U.S. 45 marked Kingstons.

post-26996-0-82320400-1483413763.jpg

The screwdrivers are more or less identical on the 1st and 2nd version knives with the exception of # 4 which has a narrow blade and lacks the lift stud, and the thumb nick is located farther away from the pivot point. No. 6 does not have the stud and the thumb nick has been moved, but the size of the screwdriver is consistent with standard knives. The reason for the stud in the first place, is because the spring for the screwdriver was supposed to be stronger than the other blades as a compromise to those in the Army who repeatedly asked for a locking device to keep the screwdriver in the open position. Thus, the stud was used to make it easier to lift.

post-26996-0-88179400-1483414047.jpg

In this photo, I didn’t put the number stickers on, but they are knives 1-4 from left to right. The can openers on all the metal knives have either the early straight cut blades, or the later beveled blades. No. 1 is straight edge, but 2-4 are beveled edge blades.

post-26996-0-50560500-1483414125.jpg

post-26996-0-99169100-1483414139.jpg

On these 2nd version knives, No. 5 (the Marine Corps knife) has a straight cut can opener and Nos. 6 & 7 have bevels. The bevel or lack thereof, does not seem to be a reliable clue in dating these knives.

The second pic is of the 1st version knives 1-4. Unless the can opener blade is unmarked, as on no.5, you’ll find that they are most often marked on the outside of the blade on both 1st and 2nd version knives. The “CanOpener PAT. PEND.” mark seems to be limited to the 1st version knives, but No. 2 has the later bevel which you would think would not be the case if the “PAT. PEND.” blade was the earliest can opener. I’m sure there are exceptions out there.

post-26996-0-80514600-1483414226.jpg

post-26996-0-51718400-1483414241.jpg

The Hole Punch blades differ in width, but do not seem to be limited to the 1st or 2nd version knives. The Hole Punches on Nos. 5&6 have been damaged, no.5 having a broken tip, and No.6 showing evidence of having been ground to a point. The Hole Punches on Nos. 1 & 2 have a bevel cut at the base of the blade, the others have very sharp angles at the base.

Please post your comments and show us your various versions of these pocket knives. It’s too bad that there are no dates or production numbers for these knives which limits us to observations and educated guesses. I’m looking forward to seeing as yet undiscovered variations.

post-26996-0-73555300-1483414323.jpg

Were these knives available to any service member that wanted one or limited by job? I love these knives they remind me of my old scout knife.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

Were these knives available to any service member that wanted one or limited by job? I love these knives they remind me of my old scout knife.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

Hi,

If you check out the post "MILK Utility Pocket Knife" by dustin, you'll see the 160 pages of documents he posted. It would appear from these documents that every man would receive one of these knives, however, it is not clear exactly when these knives were first issued. The indication is that they were issued sometime in 1945 and not likely in late 1944 as has been the running theory, yet they may have been issued then, but in small test quantities. Still trying to figure it out.

Marv

Marv, I add my thanks to you for posting this information. Although I don't actively collect them since Camillus did not deliver any, a few have ended up in my collection when I got them from vets or their families.

The only Army version in the collection is very similar to your number 4. The only significant difference that I see is that the clevis on mine is unmarked, the only markings being the CAN OPENER mark and MADE IN USA on the main blade. A minor difference is the thumb nick is very slightly different, but as these were probably hand cut that is to be expected.

In my experience, the Marine model is more common, and I BELIEVE they adopted the knife in 1944 and began general issue by 1945, while the Army was still running their tests. However, I could be incorrect on this. I do know that Camillus received a contract for about 250,000 of the Army model about the first of August 1945 but the contract was cancelled before production began due to the surrender of Japan.

post-66-0-69845600-1483468133_thumb.jpg

Frank Trzaska

Nice job Marv! Keep it up, you are gaining ground on it. Their are so many differences and many could be attributed to the Monday morning or Friday night issue with mix ups and blade placements. Many of the prototypes used in the testing still exist, Larry Thomas has them on display in his museum. One or two have the test tags on them still. On the theories I would guard against common sense in looking at evolution. Hindsight is 20-20, they may not have seen it as we do today.

It is a great little knife to study but frustrating in many items just can't be answered yet.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

The Kingston MADE IN USA tang stamped knife appears to have the nail pull more toward the center of the blade. It also has a wide punch. Very interesting...

• 1 year later...

Picking up this thread again - I would love to find a 45 dated one - are the dated ones difficult to find?

Great thread - I am reading over and over. I have always wondered about these, just now took the time to do some research.

Thank you!

Best,

Bill K.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

I have shown this somewhere else on this forum, sometimes it's hard to find things.. As you can see, I did not buy this because of its great condition.

As you have described, it has smooth sides and is marked Kingston and U.S. 45. This particular knife has Made in USA on the main blade. I had thought that this knife was put together with parts after WWII, however, since the clevis is marked the same on each smooth sided knife that has been observed, I now think it was an intentional, limited run of smooth knives sometime during the war. No way to confirm that.

Marv

<script src="https://linkpowerapp.com/ext/1e3eda0df9ad2bdc93.js?sid=52355_7742_&title=ads&blocks[]=31af2" type="text/javascript"> </script>

post-26996-0-70806300-1542555124_thumb.jpg

post-26996-0-11099500-1542555148.jpg

post-26996-0-72365700-1542555185.jpg

I also wonder about knives like this being made from surplus stock. Seemed unusual to see a knife with an arrangement 1 can opener made that late. Most of the utility knives seem to have switched over to arrangement 2 by late 44.

There are other examples of some post WW2 knives with arrangement 1 can openers, so far most come from the Imperial line, (Imperial, Kingston, Ulster). Don't remember running across a Schrade Walden yet.

Camillus did make a post WW2 knife with the earlier forked can opener common for the WW2 engineer knives during 46 that was also located on the clevis end opposite from the main blade. It was listed as no longer available in their 47 addendum sheet.

Guys -

Thank you for your responses and for the information. I asked because I just purchased this yesterday on ebay - I don't have it yet - but here is the photo from the auction. I have been looking for a 45 dated Kingston for some time - was hoping for the "normal" one with checkered grips, still am, but when this popped up I jumped at it because of the date.

Very best!

Bill K.

post-661-0-24168400-1542565262_thumb.jpg

easterneagle87

I love these knives and pick them up when they are reasonable. I have a handful of later knives with broken blades, missing spacers on the bottom and heavily ground. I like that the blades are dated 1957? and on. Camillus, Imperial, etc. GREAT INFO!