Some M1910 Hand Axes Come Out of Storage

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

I probably have 15 or 20 Model of 1910 Hand Axes (aka Axe, Intrenching, M1910). Why? Who knows. They were put away years ago in deep storage when my collecting interests veered off in another direction.

Today I ran across them and opened the container to check on condition. No issues there. Got the idea that I should at least take a pic so I grabbed as many as I could in both arms and took them outside for a quick pic. I managed to get that done without dropping any on my foot.

Model of 1910 Hand Axes ed.jpg

The four on the left are WW2. The nomenclature for the WW2 examples is "Axe, Intrenching, M1910". From the left they are marked:

1. U.S. AMERICAN FORK & HOE CO. 1944. It is shown with a Hand Axe carrier manufactured by Canvas Products of Kansas City in 1944.

2. U.S. MANN 1945. It is carried in a carrier marked Original Tractor Cab Co. 1944.

3. U.S. PLUMB 1942.

4. U.S. JOBST 1942. (This maker seems to be fairly scarce as I have never run across another example.)

The two on the right are both WW1 era Hand Axes. Both are marked only U.S. as was customary for WW1 era hand axes. The handles are usually marked U.S. as well. They use the old style of Hand Axe Carrier with the strap. One is marked Canvas Prod. Co. Aug. 1918 while the other is marked simply H&P 8-18.

They are heading back into storage now that I have assured myself that they are in decent condition. The oldest ones are bordering on 100 years of age now.

Regards,

Charlie

Catfishcraig

Thanks for sharing!!

My great uncle wrote in one of his letters home from Okinawa that after a weapon, a Shovel and Axe were two of the most used tools of a Marine.

A truly outstanding selection of Entrenching Axes and their various Covers- thanks for showing!

• 1 month later...
Charlie Flick

Military Eng:

Very nice cover. That has always been a tough one to find. Indeed, I don't think I have one in my collection. Thanks for the post.

Charlie

• 1 year later...

This Collins axe was a recent gift from my father-in-law who had it more than 50 years and hails from the Boston area, I have come to believe that it is of the 1910 era military vintage.

I would be greatly interested to know any other historical details about the piece that could be explained.

Thank you

post-3976-0-69517400-1546482021_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The head on that Collins looks very similar to the hatchet, part number E22-34-1, that was issued with the the artillery ammunition tool roll C8-9-11. The tool roll kit also included various fuze setting wrenches.

The head on that Collins looks very similar to the hatchet, part number E22-34-1, that was issued with the the artillery ammunition tool roll C8-9-11. The tool roll kit also included various fuze setting wrenches.

Amazing...

Some early carriers.

Back left is the first pattern carrier dated 1906.

Back middle is the issue pattern, tough to read but looks like 1910 dated.

Back right is a modified first pattern with the M1910 hook.

Front left is the first pattern M1910.

Front middle is the standard pattern M1910 dated 1918.

Tim

post-192-0-19171000-1547937020.jpg

post-192-0-34367800-1547937029.jpg