BA-15?

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

Was wondering if this is a BA-15...has the log book last entry is 1963 Otis AFB...19th ARS???

all components dated 1959, canopy, container, risers...missing many small parts but the body is complete and still tacked stitched on one side...

post-155518-0-36420100-1483395249.jpg

post-155518-0-68608800-1483395259_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

a C9....can u believe I found a C11 and sold it!!! saved the metal tin it came in though

the BA15 needs some small parts...but still a good find

What a great find!

Referring to the D. Poynter's book and the risers and bag references, your parachute would be a good and rare BA-15. This version had the C-9 canopy. The scarcest C-11 was used in BA-11, BA-12 and BA-13 sets.

"The C-11 canopy was known to open too slowly under some condition and was dropped in favor of the C-9." (Dan Poynter's Parachute Manual Vol 1, page 253)

Franck

Way cool...thanks Franck...I might need to pick up a copy of the book...would have paid for itself had I kept the C11 canopy...The BA-15 is a keeper though...Langley AFB still flies T33s so will have to hit up the egress, parachute shop for the lanyard

so much for being a keeper..is on the bay...not a motivated seller...fishing mainly....but will let it go for the starting price...

• 2 weeks later...

needless to say the rig did not sell on ebay..so.....

was able to acquire non period correct O2 bottle and ripcord, from BA-22 surplus...threw together some odds and ends laying around...K2B is late 60s and the SRU21 is early 70s...LPU-10 is late 60s(?)... I have a line on the auto release system and the zero delay lanyard...from a BA-22 system but hey....scared the Mrs.

post-155518-0-07421800-1485612269_thumb.jpg

Chances you have a BA22 harness that you cannibalize from that you'd be willing to let go of the ejector snaps and V rings? Im looking to complete a PCU-15 torso harness and those 6 pieces and the elastic strap bands are all Im missing. Came from a A-10 unit at BD, got a LPU-9 and finally got the Koch fittings for it recently.

Oh and Just looking at your pic, I think you have the CRU brakets on both of those harnesses in the wrong spot. It should be directly right of the chest strap area, Looks to be below on both of yours.

send a pic of what you need...I have spares of the modern stuff...would be glad to help if I have them...

the CRU bracket on the BA-15 is alligator clip on style...It can be clipped just about anywhere...the BA15 did not have a CRU bracket attached to the harness...not my example anyway...and not that I can find on any photos....if you have pics of a BA15 with the attached bracket ...would like to see them and could obtain one for the harness

The BA-22 pictured has the factory CRU attached as found...

A quick google search of the BA22 shows the CRU bracket either under or directly across from the chest strap as you stated....I will leave mine under ....as that is the way it came directly from the surplussing squadron

Ya know that spring clip dovetail bracket for the CRU is one style Ive never been able to find/pickup. I didnt know they existed til I got a copy of a Army ALSE manual from that 80s that showed it and the regular 4 screw harness type. I always figured the reason they mounted the screw on type bracket directly across from the strap was so it couldn't creep anywhere (down). I guess you could make it tight enough with no shims used for the screws but who knows it might be able to creep down if tugged on. The that chest strap across from it the strap presents it from moving at all downward. Id be curious to see the TO regarding its placement. My BA-22 I got a while back had it directly across, and then every OV-1 Mohawk seat harness Ive gotten (over 10) with a CRU braked on it was directly across too so I just figured that was always the standard. I never noticed anything mentioned in the Army manual for chutes and the MB seat harness.

I wonder if a CRU-8 might be a more correct O2 terminal block for that era of chute?

In regards to the parts I'm searching for I dont have the correct ones here with me but its the hardware for the chest and crotch straps exactly like whats on the BA-22. The 3 ejector snaps that have the screw pin attachment, and then the 3 V-rings they clip to that had the friction bar with like a horizontal spring bar. Also the 3 elastic loops to stow the additional length of strap on the crotch and chest straps.

I think you are right on the CRU8...

these are the pieces you need? I grabbed a pic off the web... I have the V rings...pretty sure will check tonight...and might have the screw on hooks...will let you know tonight 2000 ESTish

JZ

post-155518-0-12476500-1485782426.jpg

Solid copy, those are the parts. There are 2 types of those those V rings. A basic version that has just the friction bar that slides up and down freely, and then a style that has a horizontal spring bar that puts tension on the strap so it wont loosen easy under the friction bar. The style for the BA-22 and the PCU torso harnesses has that spring bar piece. You can notice it in that pic you posted. Its a little aluminum bar directly below the V portion of the fitting.

Out of curiosity any idea when CRU-60s came on scene? Earliest contract date Ive seen and have is 1968. I have a CRU-8 and have no idea how to date it as the contract is one of those old ones pre 67 starting with AF. Have an early MSA made CRU dovetail bracket too. Seen that MSA, Sierra and then later FPI made brackets.

• 4 weeks later...
northcoastaero

I had a CRU-60/P dated 1967 with a green or black short hose (I do not remember). I am almost certain

that I had one dated 1966 with a short green silicone hose. There was an earlier one made by Gilco which

had tabs manufactured on the back of the unit (not a screw on plate) to slide into the bracket located on the

harness. The 1960s Gilco CRU-60/P may have had a green rubber hose instead of a silicone hose. Gilco

also made a CRU-60/P with the same tabs on the back, but with a black hose and an orange silicone ring at

the bottom. The later Gilco unit was probably made during the mid-late 1980s or by 1991. The early green

hoses were replaced by black hoses around 1967-1968. It seems that the pre 1968 ones have a snap on

the outside of the metal part possibly to attach the snap from the nylon tab on the aircraft oxygen hose?

There was also a dark gray aluminum 3-pin plug which can be placed in the receptacle where the oxygen

mask hose plugs into to keep out dirt/debris. This plug was attached to the unit with a nylon cord.

-By mid 1960s--Gilco with green (rubber?) hose and white bottom ring.

-1966--Sierra with green silicone hose and white bottom ring.

-1967--Sierra with black (or green?) hose and white bottom ring.

-1968--Sierra with black hose and white bottom ring.

-1969 or early 1970s-1973--Sierra with sage green bottom ring.

-Mid or late 1970s to mid 1980s?--Scott with bright green bottom ring.

-Mid or late 1980s-1991 to ?--Gilco with orange bottom ring and tabs on the back (not screw on plate) for

harness bracket.

-Later variant (by Gentex?) same as Gilco above.

Hope this helps.

CRU-8s usually have that stud on the outside and Id concur its for the aircraft O2 supply hose. I think I have seen a few early 60s with the stud too. Certain aircraft have a nylon strap with the snap instead of the spring Alligator clothing clip. The cockpit will have a stud to store/hang the supply hose when not used and Id believe it would be attached to the stud on the CRU in use. I cant think any true vintage aircraft with that setup but as recent as the early 2000s I saw a Navy T-34C trainer that has the hose with a strap and it was stowed in the cockpit as I described. The used MBU-17 masks though with a MC-3A so I dont know if they joined the strap n snap from that to the supply hoses strap or not at all when in use.

northcoastaero

The snap found on the CRU-8/P and pre-1968 CRU-60/P connectors was probably deleted from the design

because it may have cause a problem during bailout or seat-man separation from the ejection seat.

Also an additional item to undo if one had to get out of the aircraft quickly.

The C-2 Greyhound may still use the MC-3A connector on their USN MBU-12/P and/or MBU-20/P variant

with an amplifier and single communications cable. The current MC-3A may be manufactured by

Fluid Power or possibly Gentex. About five to six years ago, I saw a C-2 acft. mask in service

configured with one of those tightly coiled cables (usually used as a helmet to mask extension

cable/break-away when using a Y style coiled cable around the mask hose) attached to the amplifier

with a non-locking U-172/U connector instead of using a straight cable configured with a locking

U-179A/U connector. I wonder if they have problems with the coiled cable coming undone from the

amplifier? The P-3 Orion still uses the MC-3A on their full face oxygen mask to connect to the

walk around oxygen bottle with hose and regulator and the MC-3A may also connect to the acft. oxygen

supply hose. Variants of the MBU-12/P and possibly MBU-20/P used in some Orions may have an MC-3A.

The USN/USMC C-130 might use the MC-3A? The E-2 Hawkeye uses a connector that looks like a MC-3A,

but with a USAF style 3-pin connector as the bailout bottle connection on the side instead of a

small 2-pin connection. There is a sage green nylon strap with snap closure on this connector

also.