M1905 Bayonet (1906) with Unknown scabbard...ID needed

warpath

M1905 Bayonet dated 1906 with Unknown scabbard...Looks like a long Krag bayonet scabbard, but I haven't seen this variant and I initially thought it was foreign...Possibly a Winchester Model 1895 bayonet sheath...ID needed. Ed

post-3653-0-38754300-1483381293_thumb.jpg

post-3653-0-62651300-1483381306.jpg

I agree. Scabbard is for the long version of the Model 1895 Winchester Musket Russian Contract.

Ed-Model 1895 Winchester Musket bayonet scabbard sold to the Russians for their 16" Winchester or Remington Model 1895 bayonets. My thinking would be it got traded out for use with the US M1905 bayonet, which would fit nicely, by a member of the US Expeditionary Force sent to Russia in 1919 after his M1905 or M1910 scabbard wore out. It does look like an elongated Krag scabbard. SKIP

I believe the scabbard is for a French Model 1914 Remington rolling block bayonet. I blew up the picture and it appears that the scabbard throat is retained by a slotted screw. The long Russian Model 1895 bayonet used the same scabbard but the throat is retained by a rivet.

I of course stand corrected about French vs Russian. Just outside of my field of interest and I did not know about the screw vs rivet situation. Thanks to those who corrected my error.