Shelter Half Pin Bag

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

I picked up this shelter half pin bag on the cheap at a swap meet but I can't imagine that it is original. Very thin cotton material with a cheap little string to hold it closed. Thought I would run it by here just to be sure, any thoughts or comments appreciated. Thanks!

Rob

post-168-0-79713100-1483372036.jpg

I got one of those years ago at a Surplus store, but it had the pins in it. I think there were 5.

There was a bunch of others in a pile. It's long gone, can't remember the date. I say its real.

I have one of these in one of my storage boxes but I think the material on mine is a little thicker and it's in OD3.

I'll have to dig it out.

Rich

I've been collecting US field gear for 45 years and have never found one. I think it's a fantasy piece. I should restate that. Not just the one posted here but any and all of them are fantasy items.

Fixbayonets!

Thanks for the info so far guys. Robinb, you could very well be correct, this is the first one I have come across in the many years I have been collecting. Strange that they would make a fantasy piece of such a minor and inexpensive thing.

Rob

I know there has been a discussion about the OD style of this bag in the past but I can't find it. The consensus then was that the bag was 100% a fantasy item. The reason I remember this is I own one of the OD bags and was disappointed when it was deemed not real. This lighter bag falls into that fantasy item category.

Here is a photo with the OD bag with pins along with other accessories. One of the reasons that I remember being presented previously for this item being a fantasy item is if you look in the WWII QM catalogs, Stock Number 74-P-225 is actually assigned for the folding Pole, Tent, Shelter Half. So why would it be on anything associated with the pins which are stock number 74-P-125.

Bob

post-299-0-41146300-1483747041_thumb.jpg

Fixbayonets!

Makes sense and there is no way with the construction of my bag that it would stand up to any real field use. Thanks for the info & photos Rambob.

Rob

I was looking at the reprint of the Quartermaster Supply Catalog 1943 and the bag is not in it. Also, the stock number 74-P-225 is the stock number for Pole, Tent, Shelter.

Yeah, I got one some years ago, the thicker OD one. Everyone thought it was a fantasy item, but it's interesting to see what the stock number is really for.

Fixbayonets!

I checked What Price Glory and their bag is different in construction, I guess there are different variations of this fantasy item. WPG claims their product to be "an exact copy of this rare bag" so it looks as if they are under the impression that it did in fact exist.

I too have several of the heavier green bags as pictured. Mine were purchased for 10 cents each at the local Army Surplus store in Connecticut the late 1950s or very early 1960s. Used one to store marbles as a boy. Only point is, if they are not real, someone went through a lot of trouble for 10 cents.