Restrike WW1 Collar Disks

cwnorma

• 10 months later...

It's been a while since this has been bumped and unfortunately, I have to be the one that does it. I got this from the usual source and due to poor pics, I think I've been duped. So thanks to their 14 day money back guarantee, I think I may be sending these back. So it looks like 1 good and 1 bad from 2 different lots.

First up is a suspect 2nd Infantry Regiment Co. M disk that looked alright enough in the photos to garner a bid from me. Upon receiving it, the disk had a noticeable glossy finish and a suspect screw post. However, the shiny paint is only on the front of the disk and some of it has flaked off. The back has what appears to be the normal blackened finish. Also, the post assembly seem to be brazed on to the disk. Also note the corrosion on the brazing. So the tell tale hump may or may not be present since this disk has plenty of brazing on the back and there appears to be some excess around the post as well. With the paint and the excess on the back, is this disk a repro/fake or has it been repaired and the finish on the front "restored?"

Front
post-5589-0-59812800-1427597329.jpg

Back
post-5589-0-33027400-1427597354.jpg

post-5589-0-92069900-1427597367.jpg

The second disk is a common US enlisted disk and the screw post has the infamous hump style back. So I may 2 for 4 with disks from this seller if these turn out to be fakes. I always want to be 100% sure before I act and start a claim with the seller.

post-5589-0-53069900-1427597401.jpg

Back
post-5589-0-28829700-1427597417.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

Mike-

Your two disks both look fine to me.

Kurt

Thanks. I always get nervous when I see this style of back. I just don't trust them without a second opinion.

Thanks again,

Mike

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I posted to this thread, but I thought I would update everyone on some information I have learned in the last few years.

The distinctive screw posts with the hump were made by a company named "B.A. Ballou." They had been in business since the late 1800s making jewelry "findings"; pins, catches, clasps, screw-posts, etc. Ballou went bankrupt in 2009 and their business holdings were purchased by W. R. Cobb, another jewelry findings supplier.

http://www.jckonline.com/2015/10/21/wr-cobb-acquires-ba-ballou*

http://www.wrcobb.com

Much of Ballou's tooling was quite old, making it difficult to tell period hardware from recent manufacture. Ballou was also the manufacturer of early-style pin hardware that was seen on many reproduction wing-badges and other rare insignia.

Perusing the W. R. Cobb on-line catalog shows that they are no longer selling this dimpled-style of screw post. In fact, they don't seem to be using any of the manufacturing equipment or tooling purchased from Ballou. Their current screw-post is much more "modern" looking and (probably) less likely to be mistaken for period original.

The good news is with Ballou out of business, no "new" WW1 collar disks are being made with their hardware, the bad news is unscrupulous dealers will likely continue to sell the hundreds made over the years and as more time goes by, they are beginning to get some "age" on them.

Be careful out there!

Chris

• 1 year later...

I revisited my WWI collar discs to see if any of those fit the re-strike criteria and only 3 looked suspect...well one I think is a repo for different reasons. Attached are 2 pics of the suspect discs. I concluded the 2 Infantry discs were ok because the "hump" looked different but I would like input from you guys on that. The air corps musician disc...did that really exist? Looks too good. It was not expensive & I was willing to tolerate it as a repro. If you guys think otherwise, I'd like to hear that. Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks.

post-164221-0-36860900-1480637112.jpg

post-164221-0-32815700-1480637127.jpg

• 10 months later...

As predicted years ago, we are beginning to see more of these Naugatuck Novelty Company Disks making their way to the market purported to be originals. As of this writing, there are a dozen or more on the main internet auction site. Do yourself a favor and download the Naugatuck Novelty Company Catalog:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/105861955697485892280/album/AF1QipNpfQ9U5FztWqaBlmlaDiIQyJKTi6pGngzL02op

Note! This catalog shows most, but not all the reproductions once available from this company. Additionally, many, many reproductions of "exotic" disks start out with a Naugatuck Novelty Company disk as a base--to which various appurtenances are often added.

Unfortunately since this thread first made its rounds on the forum, several new manufacturers of reproduction disks have entered the market.

Its a minefield out there guys. Caveat emptor.

Chris