1st ID Engraved M1910 Canteen... Did I Buy a Fake?!

ParanormalTrooper

ParanormalTrooper

Well then... So I happen to be browsing eBay looking for something "cool" (as we all tend to do) and I stumbed upon this M1910 canteen dated 1918.

It is engraved with the following:

1st. ENGRS.

1st. DIV.

(1st ID unit insignia with wreath around it)

s-l1600.jpg

And on the back:

C.M.

(large space)

NO 15541

s-l1600.jpg

above the "NO 15541" there appears to be a very faded etching with the name number.

I am assuming that it was reissued for WWII since it is dated 1918. What worrys me is that this is a pretty unique piece, even a canteen that couldve been used on Omaha Beach.

What do you think? Is it real? Value?

NOTE: sorry for the large photos, they are linked from eBay so i couldnt resize them.

I think it could have been used for WW1. The serial number looks like a WW1 number to me.

I own a Colt 1911 pistol that was made in early 1918 and shipping data shows it made it to France in May of 1918.

Very nice canteen and I think "C. M." is a WWI vet. The First Division with the wreath around it is a classic WWI emblem.

Why did you think it was a WWII vet?

ParanormalTrooper

Very nice canteen and I think "C. M." is a WWI vet. The First Division with the wreath around it is a classic WWI emblem.

Why did you think it was a WWII vet?

Just a hunch since it was dated so late in the war... I guess you can never assume though!

Just a hunch since it was dated so late in the war... I guess you can never assume though!

Very true. I'm using my iphone right now, but it looks like there's a name scratched on it. I think I see "Charles." Can you see a last name?

ParanormalTrooper

Very true. I'm using my iphone right now, but it looks like there's a name scratched on it. I think I see "Charles." Can you see a last name?

I can see what you mean, I will have to wait until it arrives to tell for sure though but I definitely see something.

For those wondering, I picked this up on eBay for $40 + $10 shipping