Prototype (?) M1944 Cargo Pack?

TAMU97

I've had this for about 15 years, purchased in the Killeen/Ft Hood area (although that may have nothing to do with its development or use). Most people's first impression of it when I show a photo is that of a lightweight service gas mask bag, but about the only thing it has in common with the gas mask bag is the method of securing the flap. The dimensions of the pack to the standard M1944 cargo pack are essentially the same, as is the construction (in general) and function. I can't find any evidence of markings or evidence where flap straps were once sewn to the bag, but were later removed. Aside from the obvious differences, there are a few subtle differences in construction I'll highlight in the following pictures. Color is OD3 body with OD7 straps. There may be many reasons why the went away from the LTD fasteners for securing the flap, but one thing I noticed is unless there is something rigid carried in the pack (or unless it is packed very "tight"), it's hard to snap and unsnap the LTD fasteners quickly because there is too much "give".

post-3586-0-87846900-1483203177_thumb.jpg

post-3586-0-09653200-1483203199_thumb.jpg

Comparing the construction of the quick release tabs and carry handle. Packs are essentially identical in this respect. The second photo shows the interior of the "prototype" pack. Note the original, un-faded OD3 is obvious. Also note there is an extra thickness of duck material sewn to the flap to provide reinforcement for the female portion of the LTD fasteners (this is not present in the production pack and lends further evidence to the fact that this was not a pack where the straps were removed and LTD fasteners were fitted after the fact) and there is no evidence of a rubberized throat.

post-3586-0-89448800-1483203697_thumb.jpg

post-3586-0-76281100-1483203713_thumb.jpg

Here are some shots comparing the "prototype" to the standardized version. In the first photo, note that there is a difference in the way the D rings are secured to the body of the pack. The second photo highlights a construction difference in the flap. On the production model, there is a crease or seam sewn into the top front of the flap. This seam is flat on the "prototype" flap.

post-3586-0-86955200-1483203892_thumb.jpg

post-3586-0-39891800-1483203904_thumb.jpg

And finally, differences in the quick release strap construction and hardware. On the "prototype", note the use of a metal ring connecting two separate pieces of webbing and a locking buckle like that used on the back straps of M1936 suspenders. On the production model, a single piece of webbing is sewn directly to the body of the pack and a ladder buckle is used for adjustment. Thus, the production version is simplified by using fewer parts and less metal.

Appreciate any feedback or information anyone has on this piece. It's baffled me for years!

Mike

post-3586-0-67559500-1483204126_thumb.jpg

post-3586-0-65441200-1483204179.jpg

The Quartermaster published a history of their efforts just after WW2, in it is a brief history of the development of the M1944/M1945 pack system. The Army Ground Forces (AGF) serving alongside the Marine Corps in the PTO liked the M1941 (USMC) pack. They tested a modified version and wanted the QMC to start producing it immediately. The QMC made clear they wanted to test the system before adoption. A compromise was reached with the QMC starting production on the M1944 packs while simultaneously testing them. The final version of the system was different enough to warrant it's own designation and the M1945 pack system was adopted in April of 1945. I think you might have one of the test cargo packs.

Tim

The Quartermaster published a history of their efforts just after WW2, in it is a brief history of the development of the M1944/M1945 pack system. The Army Ground Forces (AGF) serving alongside the Marine Corps in the PTO liked the M1941 (USMC) pack. They tested a modified version and wanted the QMC to start producing it immediately. The QMC made clear they wanted to test the system before adoption. A compromise was reached with the QMC starting production on the M1944 packs while simultaneously testing them. The final version of the system was different enough to warrant it's own designation and the M1945 pack system was adopted in April of 1945. I think you might have one of the test cargo packs.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. Based on what you wrote above, I searched online for that publication and believe I found it: "The Quartermaster Corps: Organization, Supply, and Services, Volume 1", which was published in 1953 by the Dept of the Army's military history group. Relevant information can be found on pp 126-127 of that publication and while I'm not going to copy it here, the entire publication can be viewed online as a PDF.

So this suggests that HQ, AGF was already experimenting with a "divisible" pack system similar to what they had seen in the PTO with the USMC before they went to QM. After much wrangling with the Office of the QM General (OQMG) about procurement, it then appears that the QM Corps Technical Committee (QMCTC) recommended the development of a new pack system "along the lines of" what had been requested by HQ, AGF. With that endorsement, AGF, ASF, and QMC then began work on developing such a pack. The text then states, "As developed, the field pack, M-1944, consisted of two parts...." So, the "M1944" pack system is what came out of that cooperative development effort, which had apparently been based on what AGF came up with through their experimentation.

Based on this, the cargo bag I have must be what HQ, AGF was experimenting with and showed OQMG when they asked that such a pack be procured. This would place that bag's production sometime in late 1943 through perhaps early 1944 (the above history notes that the spring of 1944 is when AGF went to OQMG requesting standardization and procurement without tests). The text goes on to say that the "M1944" pack system was standardized on 20 JULY 1944. After testing was completed (the main objection to the M1944 pack system was that the quick release straps didn't secure the cargo bag well enough and contributed to too much sway), the modified pack system was standardized on 9 APRIL 1945 as the M1945 pack.

Now I guess I'll just have to find the top pack!

• 1 month later...