1968 M59 Field Range w/ M2 Burner Unit

jeb137

I saw this on craigslist today. No idea if it's still available, but they ad says he has a newer unit too.

It's a M59 Field Range dated 1968 with the M2 burner unit.

I cooked on these many times when I was with the Seabees.

They've since changed to a different burner unit, but as of 02 when I retired, the M59 hasn't changed at all.

This one looks pretty complete in general, it has the pots, pot hoop, the roasting pan/fryer, the lid to it, used as a griddle, a few utensels (not sure what ones, the pictures didn't show).

Looks like one of the inserts are missing, should have six with lids, but still it has the insert holder. (By the way there is a hot food container that holds six inserts to be able to take hot chow out to the lines.)

We used these every time we were in the field, and I used one myself cooking for the detachment I was in while in Honduras. Not sure if I remember correctly, but one range was required for 1-25 people, and 2 ranges for 26 to 125 people, 3 ranges for 126 to 300. (Then again, I often can't remember what I had for dinner last night).

The M2 is a pain to use, but with clean jets and 20 to 30 minutes to heat up the unit they usually start up ok. A M2 burner works on unleaded gas. You can not use any other fuel in it.

Not mine, no idea whos it is, but thought I'd share it here.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

post-4767-0-67646600-1483138609_thumb.jpg

post-4767-0-80719600-1483138675_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Bad memories from the N.G. Then we re enactors found a bunch of M-37 field ranges, all dated 42-44 with original burners. Those would actually blow up if not operated correctly. Easier to use a gas turkey cooker with gas bottle covered with tarp. Those things are Heavy.

I don't think they changed a lot between the 37 and later ones. Maybe the metal to make it lighter. We never had issues with them blowing up... but we blew a few smoke stacks from the drip unit used to heat water for the trash can's we used for washing mess kits and our equipment. If you didn't get the drip just right,,, boom.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Hi Jon, major difference was the pressure in the gas tanks. They will blow if not very careful. Years ago had three M37s, immersion heaters and almost complete kitchen. Sold it cheap to good friend that turned his CCKW into kitchen truck. Big heavy stuff is way to much trouble. The Small detachment stoves are also to big and heavy, now the small 2 burner Coleman ones are fine.LOL.