Korean war end of service presentation award

Hi all, here is a nice presentation piece given to 1st Sergeant John Keogh by the officers and NCOs he served with at the time. I was told he fought in WWII and Korea, but haven't been able to confirm anything.

post-158043-0-51251400-1483126765_thumb.jpg

post-158043-0-49451300-1483126769.jpg

Seems to be a lot of questions here, for one, the insignia here are not 1950s or even 1960s, merrowed borders on both patches, and Brass Rank Collar badges for raincoats and windbreakers, which came out in 1975-76

Also 28th Infantry was never in the 4th Division. After 1957 the 28th Infantry is reorganized under the Combat Arms Regimental System or as it's commonly known, CARS. The whole structure is changed in Infantry Divisions, this is the PENTOMIC period, here with the 28th Infantry the 1st Bn 28 Inf, now the 1st Battle Group 28th Infantry goes back to it's WWI unit, the 1st Division, the 2nd BG 28th Inf goes to the 24th Infantry Division, what about the 3rd BG 28th Inf? it goes interestingly enough to the Army Reserves 83rd Infantry Division out of Ohio.

In and around 1963, the Army Reorganizes again, Reorganization Objective Army Divisions or ROAD, pronounced RO-AD, the 3rd Battle Group 28th Inf re titled 3rd Battalion 28th Infantry, it still is a part of the 83rd Infantry Division in Ohio. In late 1965 all combat divisions of the Reserve are inactivated, seems the 3rd Battalion 28th Infantry was inactivated too, can not find hits for 3rd Bn 28th Inf past 1965, the 1st and 2nd Bns 28th Inf, yes, they where fighting in Vietnam with the 1st Infantry Division.

Do you know if he, Keogh, was from Ohio?

No I am not sure where Keogh was from. Thanks for all the information on the unit that you found. So with the dating of the insignia he could have been in Vietnam?

No I am not sure where Keogh was from. Thanks for all the information on the unit that you found. So with the dating of the insignia he could have been in Vietnam?

NOPE

"the insignia here are not 1950s or even 1960s, merrowed borders on both patches, and Brass Rank Collar badges for raincoats and windbreakers, which came out in 1975-76"

Plus the CIB, it would be either a second award or a third award.

What origin of this? Where did you get it?

Are you from Ohio?

I'm from NJ. I got this piece from a dealer friend a couple years ago who cleans out estates and does auctions. I think he got it at an auction before I bought it from him

I'm from NJ. I got this piece from a dealer friend a couple years ago who cleans out estates and does auctions. I think he got it at an auction before I bought it from him

Well it's very disjointed insignia wise, pre 1957-58 28th Inf is in the 8th Ihf Div, post that period, 1st BG in the Big Red One Ft Reilly Kansas , 2nd BG in the 24th Inf Div West Germany, and the 3rd BG (later Bn) 28th Inf in the Ohio 83rd Inf Div. then there,s the Green Beret connection, no idea when he was SF?

Yeah sorry no idea when he was in special forces. Do you know by chance what CSC stands for right before the 3rd battalion 28th infantry?