Painted red circle on rear of WWII steel pot?

TAMU97

I picked up this steel pot yesterday amongst a group of helmets, many of which showed evidence of having been used for USAF basic training. Not sure if this helmet was originally part of that lot or if it was just lumped in with the others to sell, but it was one of only about three WW2-era pots and the only one with the original chin straps remaining.

I'm curious to know if anyone can identify the marking on the back of the helmet. It's a red circle, approximately 3" in diameter, and looks to be of the same vintage as the other paint on the helmet. You'll also note the green paint is a light, almost khaki green. I don't know if this is due to fading, bad storage conditions, or if the paint was always that light of a color. The paint itself is not very thick - the cork texture shows very well - so if it's a repaint, it's probably only the second time the shell was ever painted. The interior of the shell is the same color, so that leads me to believe it's not a darker color of OD green that has faded.

Any thoughts on what this marking means is greatly appreciated!

Mike

post-3586-0-78759300-1483030263_thumb.jpg

No obvious markings that I could find. On the underside of the front rim, near the heat number, there was a remnant of something scratched into the paint, but it was hard to make out. When I get home, I'll look closer and post a pic if it turns out to be anything. Thanks!

stealthytyler

No obvious markings that I could find. On the underside of the front rim, near the heat number, there was a remnant of something scratched into the paint, but it was hard to make out. When I get home, I'll look closer and post a pic if it turns out to be anything. Thanks!

Sounds good. I have seen red circles before but I am not sure what they mean. Can you post more photos of the helmet in general? Thanks!

Last pic, just to show comparison of paint colors. To the left of the subject helmet is a helmet with the typical WWII color; to the right is one with the typical 1950s-era color. The MP helmet in the background is one I'm still working on recovering the markings. It had several layers of a glossy green that I've carefully removed, but the MP markings themselves appear to be on top of the 1950s shade of green paint.

post-3586-0-19874300-1483112155_thumb.jpg

Could be another shore party helmet.

I had come across a thread on shore party helmets and had considered the same thing, In that thread, the liner had the red circle and it was painted on the front. Not sure whether that placement is the standard or if there was some variation. I have to plead ignorance about the USN boat pool helmets. Never seen one.

I have 1 and it was in the pacific. was told marine engineer.

Does yours have the circle on the front or the rear? Seems all of the others have it on the front.