Survivor WWII Military trash can

oldabewla

Here is my survivor complete 24 Gal. WWII Wheelings 1943 military trash can I just picked up before Christmas. These have been posted on here before ( I've Wanted one) in the 10,16,24 and 32 gal most in ether just the tops or bottoms and very few pictures of the complete unit.

This is marked 1943 wheelings on the lid and 1943 wheelings in the bottom of the can hard to see in the photo all in super nice condition. The 24 Gallon was used with the M37 submersible heater in the field to the heat water in and clean the mess kits from this what I've found and also the reason the bottom is so clean.

post-7997-0-43896100-1482948537.jpg

post-7997-0-66042500-1482948554.jpg

post-7997-0-82931200-1482948562.jpg

You are officially the "CAN MAN"

Makes you wonder how many of these may have come out of Ft.McCoy and were in the area.

That would look right at home under the bridge

Hey Ron,

Your right ! I think too from out of the Ft. Mccoy ! Saw just the lid on epay from that area as well sell for $80

These make great poor man outdoor furnaces for guys under the bridge!

at the Ft Indiantown Gap WWII re-enactment in the early 1990s the trash can in our barracks had a 1944 dated lid.

I still kick myself for not rescuing it.

• 1 month later...

When I saw this one I just kinda smiled and took it home with me...need to form the official trash can collector forum...44 dated Reeves...needs to be cleaned...not sure how to go about galvanized metal and rust...maybe just a light wire brush and some oil??

post-155518-0-27698200-1487685415.jpg

post-155518-0-91998600-1487685423.jpg

post-155518-0-68258800-1487685430.jpg

"Often, water draining from other adjacent steelwork that is rusting can flow on to galvanized steel and cause conspicuous brown staining. This can be treated with the use of commercial oxalic acid or a proprietary solution that has been developed for descaling pots and pans. Thorough rinsing with water is again important to remove any corrosive residues of the cleaner."

...this was the case ...I think for this can...based on lcation

..might be the ticket Brian...CLR is the proprietary solution?? and the oxalic acid can be found in general cleaning supplies

will give it a go..and if all else fails ...

Walmart sells, or did sell, a rust converter called "Krud Kutter" that does a pretty good job of removing stains and rust without leaving the harsh finish left by naval jelly and other more harsh removal agents.

If the chemical thing does not work out,try experimenting with some galvanized chain link spray paint.Most hardware stores have it.May be a last resort.Cool item.

Good luck

Bob

yep...it is beyond staining...not sure if I am going to paint it...might make it look better..however it is now out of the elements...and will be used as a shop trash can...with a liner...

painting it might make the US 1944 more visible...just a trash can though

I picked up another one as well a Reeves 1942 32 Gal. The 24 Gallon as said were used along with the submersible water heater in the field to clean mess gear.

I'm glad you saved it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...