PURPLE HEART'S ON AMERICAN PICKERS

firefighter

True, but the Purple Heart aspect of the show is totally interwoven with what Congress is proposing to do relating to Purple Hearts. That's what I meant by "entire subject" and being "political."

​I know what you meant.But I just wanted to state that I didn't intend for it to turn political, even though I had a feeling it would.

oldradiostuff

Now that PHR reunited has made it public that they are "pitching" a television show to showcase their activities, we should all point out to the bill co-sponsors that it is Pike, not militaria collectors, who are seeking to profit from the sacrifices of our veterans by selling the stories of their medals to a television network.

Now that PHR reunited has made it public that they are "pitching" a television show to showcase their activities, we should all point out to the bill co-sponsors that it is Pike, not militaria collectors, who are seeking to profit from the sacrifices of our veterans by selling the stories of their medals to a television network.

You beat me too it. I'd also like to point out that he aligned himself with a group of people that barter for items for the minimum value just to sell it in hopes to make the maximum profit.

Something Fike and his supporters have damned us for doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doyler is correct...I have an antique dealer acquaintance who was visiting a neighbor who was setting up a yard sale....She went over to see what antiques they might have....On the dining table were family photos in a container destined for the trash...She inquired about purchasing them and made a pretty fair offer...When she got the pictures home, she realized there was a civil war tin type along with an eldely gentleman wearing a medal....Turned out the family was related to a Civil War medal of honor recipient.....Had the woman not rescued the photos, they would have been lost to history...True story...Bodes

Doyler is correct...I have an antique dealer acquaintance who was visiting a neighbor who was setting up a yard sale....She went over to see what antiques they might have....On the dining table were family photos in a container destined for the trash...She inquired about purchasing them and made a pretty fair offer...When she got the pictures home, she realized there was a civil war tin type along with an eldely gentleman wearing a medal....Turned out the family was related to a Civil War medal of honor recipient.....Had the woman not rescued the photos, they would have been lost to history...True story...Bodes

This story reminds me...

After my grandfather passed away, I went over to my grandmother's house while they were cleaning out his belongings. I was maybe 20 or so at the time and had been collecting militaria for quite some time (and everyone in my family knew it...my bedroom was quite the display!) Anyway, I walk into the bedroom and look in the trash can...and right on top are a bunch of photos of my great uncle in uniform ( class of 1938 at USMA and later a retired USAF general) in the trash! I pulled them out and asked my grandmother: "Why are you throwing these away? I'd like them for my collection!" And she told me: "Everyone knows what uncle Ken looks like and I figured no one would want them!" D'oh! (Now another part of that story is my uncle Ken, who, before his last move, took everything from his military career, boxed it up...and dropped it off at Goodwill! Ouch!)

Another not-Purple Heart related (though should have been, as he was badly wounded when his ship was torpedoed) in the trash story from my own family... My dad's mom passed away and she had been married to a career Navy CWO (30 years, 1924-1954). He was my dad's stepdad and after he was wounded, he had a bad case of PTSD (though not diagnosed at the time) and was a very violent, heavy drinker and my dad hated him. Anyway...we're cleaning out my grandmother's house and I catch my dad emptying the contents of his stepdad's seachest (chock full of all sorts of goodies...I remember digging through it when I was little!) into the trash can! I'm like: "Whoa, dad! Can't I have all of this??" And he told me: "I hated that SOB and want this stuff gone NOW!" Anyway, I got a week reprieve and he agreed to let me sell it on eBay, which I did. At least at that point it went to a collector who could appreciate it, as my dad (who used to go with me to militaria shows, so this wasn't a surprise!) wouldn't even let me have his stepdad's stuff in my collection.

Anyway, the point of the two stories is that every family is different and one cannot simply call up a family and try to return something as you never know if they actually don't want it back!

Dave, I certainly understand your angst...Working things out among family can be a real nightmare....While I was quite young, I received some personal items that were from my great uncle...He was killed less than three weeks before the end of WW2 in europe...I got his purple hearts, dogtag, expert pins, peak cap, assorted photos, etc....When my grandmother passed away, my cousin came across some letters he wrote while in basic training...This and the telegram the family received letting them know he had been killed.....I've inquired numerous times about what was going to be done with these items, only to get the run around...I've finally pretty much let it to, but am not happy these items aren't with the rest of his personal items....Hope springs eternal though....Bodes

Really good point Dave. I've been active with outreach in my WWII research for years. This often results in my contacting family members to share artifacts or details of their family-member's service. Most times those conversations go very well, and the families are appreciative; and, sometimes they don't. When serving as a conduit to a passed relative, compassion causes us to be aware that we could either be rekindling fond memories, or opening old wounds unintentionally. Cherish veterans as I do, it bears remembering that - while their service may have been honorable - they are subject to the same frailties of humanity that we all bear.

Anyway, the point of the two stories is that every family is different and one cannot simply call up a family and try to return something as you never know if they actually don't want it back!

vintageproductions

It seems the USMF's Facebook page deleted it's post regarding this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The USMF Facebook page has deleted nothing.

May have been the person who originally posted it.

May not do any good but can't hurt if American Pickers get flooded with emails pointing out what is wrong about Pike's actions and position and boycotting the show and sponsors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
deadpeoplesjunk

Antiquesarcheology just did a post on Instagram promoting purple hearts reunited . Anyone interested might wanna take a look. I posted my views, no problems except for one guy and I have a pretty good idea who he's affiliated with, though I may be wrong.(in which case I agree to disagree with the gentleman) Moderators, if I'm out of place here, please accept my apologies and remove this post.

Antiquesarcheology just did a post on Instagram promoting purple hearts reunited . Anyone interested might wanna take a look. I posted my views, no problems except for one guy and I have a pretty good idea who he's affiliated with, though I may be wrong.(in which case I agree to disagree with the gentleman) Moderators, if I'm out of place here, please accept my apologies and remove this post.

This was my response,

You know there is another symbol of liberty and sacrifice that has a wide and more lucrative market than the Purple Heart, the American Flag. For centuries or fighting men have carried our star spangled banner onto the battlefield. Spilling their blood on it, ensuring that the stripes stay red. Just like the Purple Heart medal, or flag is one of the last tangible items that the family receives in recognition of a loved ones service. So why is it that we don't think anything of it when we can walk into any retail or home improvement store to purchase an American Flag or American Flag product? We wear our flag as a bandana or eat our greasy cheeseburgers off of our flag as a paper plate and further more; once we are done with that burger we then THROW OUR FLAG INTO THE TRASH! this bill is what should be thrown in the trash, not our freedoms and certainly NOT our Flag.

The American Legion magazine did an article on him in, I think, last months issue.I think I threw it out. The whole law is a joke.This will only send OUR history to the overseas market, like the MoH. We are going to lose more than gain anything.

deadpeoplesjunk

The guy on the Instagram post called me "sick" and said he was supporting the legislation that he claimed he didn't know about until my post. I replied that The Japanese and German medal collectors will be happy with his support. I've dealt with people all over the world and have no problems with foreign medal collectors collecting American medals.

deadpeoplesjunk

By the way, guys, I don't collect medals per say, thought I do have some groupings with medals. Once this door gets opened, it can restrict all kinds of things down the road, That's not what this country is about.( Or at least used to be. While I can understand the sentiment behind people imagining a medal that belonged to their loved ones that's sold being a sad thing, they should consider taking the time to research the other side. I have seen thoroughly researched PH's and other medals posted on this forum with honor and dignity and incredible research that allows one to really get a better handle on the actions of the awardee.I can't say I have ever seen even one medal of any country presented to the public locally in a museum, or in any museum for that matter so well documented for posterity. By the way, a local museum here sold a cased WWI DSC named and numbered at their garage sale a few years back for around 20 bucks.I guess they needed money. I didn't get it, but I believe a forum member now has it, it is well researched, and will be well taken care of.