PURPLE HEART'S ON AMERICAN PICKERS

firefighter

Did you pull it from the dumpster yourself?

When a house is cleaned out, generally any left over items are taken by the people doing the cleaning. These items are then sold at flea markets etc. One member on here has mentioned finding items when cleaning out a house. Those items may be in someone's collection rather than thrown in the garbage.

I pulled a posthumous Purple Heart Certificate, Memorial accolade, Photos and Airborne Jump School certificate out of a dumpster at an estate sale and bought the Purple Heart in the house itself.

The vet was KIA on Corregidor with the 503rd .

Kurt

As for purple hearts I recently was asked about a subject and the Sullivan Brothers name came up and the disposition of the 5 Purple Hearts.Seems they were lost in a massive flood in Waterloo Iowa in 1963.

Totally off topic...but a small correction to the story. The disposition of three of the five are unknown. Two of them I have personally held in my hand and are included in my book.

And let's not forget the THREE Purples Hearts that John Kerry thew over the Capitol Fence in Washington DC back in 1971 in protest of the Vietnam War. Not all veterans "cherish" their medals.

Good one Kurt...was thinking about this(Kerry) last week.Will the Honorable Kerry be on the band wagon of this new proposed law with all the glad handing and media attention or will he see the need for those do do as they wish with private property??

Totally off topic...but a small correction to the story. The disposition of three of the five are unknown. Two of them I have personally held in my hand and are included in my book.

That would be good news as one was suppose to be in a Museum in Waterloo and was donated by a grandson and its no longer there.

I live about a 100 miles from there and would like to further check out the back story I was told.

PM me as Im really intrested in the topic

Thanks

These so called reality shows with appraisals and "finds" are normally highly scripted events. I was contacted by producers for a couple of these shows including Combat Pawn which filmed a local Gun/Pawn store real customers...If anyone wants to hear details call me or see me at a show and I'll provide verbatim details on the way they operated, it's truly enlightening.

Bear in mind it is all entertainment designed to capture and hold an audience to sell advertising and products. None of these shows are filming for historical accuracy or out of moral obligation to better the world. It's all about $$$! One producer apologized several times when I pointed out the serious moral and legal issues she raised asking me to follow their script. She then stated her bosses requirements to do anything for a shot, so she had to ask. I declined to be on their show. It is just TV after all.

Ed

And let's not forget the THREE Purples Hearts that John Kerry thew over the Capitol Fence in Washington DC back in 1971 in protest of the Vietnam War. Not all veterans "cherish" their medals.

+1

Exactly.

He is a moron, but he has a right to be a moron.

I hate the popular culture from the last 10 years or so that says "if you don't do ------------- my way, then you're a hater.." or "you need to be banned/punished/destroyed" in some way.

If Fike wants to return purple hearts...more power to him. I'm sure there are many people who would be grateful. That should not mean that everyone else who collects such things is evil and should be criminalized. Screw that idea.

That transforms into a big government nanny-state very quickly.

+1

Exactly.

I hate the popular culture from the last 10 years or so that says "if you don't do ------------- my way, then you're a hater.." or "you need to be banned/punished/destroyed" in some way.

If Fike wants to return purple hearts...more power to him. I'm sure there are many people who would be grateful. That should not mean that everyone else who collects such things is evil and should be criminalized. Screw that idea.

Breast feeding comes to mind.I see it constantly here and people I worked with.They want to hang on to the tap all their life.No accountability or responsibility.Its always not their fault when something goes wrong.

+1

Exactly.

Amen to that!

+1

Exactly.

100% Agree

I would re-arrange your list slightly... :)

1 - A Purple Heart is "found" on Pawn Stars or American Pickers.

2 - The Purple Heart is turned over to PHR for research of surviving family members (long lost great-nephew or great-grandson)

3 - The Purple Heart is reunited with family members with great emotions on screen.

4 - Long lost great-nephew or great-grandson is untruthful or vague about where the PH was found lost.

5 - The Purple Heart mysteriously shows up for sale on eBay or at one of the many Militaria Shows with a ridiculous price.

Yes, this is another likely sequence of events.

I pulled a posthumous Purple Heart Certificate, Memorial accolade, Photos and Airborne Jump School certificate out of a dumpster at an estate sale and bought the Purple Heart in the house itself.

The vet was KIA on Corregidor with the 503rd .

Kurt

I have a veterans medals who served in WW1 and WW2 in the navy and other insignia, dog tags and personal effects that were pickedout of the trash -there isn't a purple heart in the group but I had a very respected dealer offer me north of 250$ for the group.....so IMO it happens A LOT more than some people might want to believe .....

I found a Vietnam veterans set of medals left on the curb. No Purple Heart, but had a bronze star, among other medals. I bet if I sent it to Fike, he would have had it framed and everything for $1,500 for presentation to the family who didn't want them in the first place lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nowadays, everyone must belong to some sort of cause. Very fashionable and PC. Protest everything. No brains required. :love:

People no longer just mind their own business. :dry:

Wharf the Elder. ( Old lives matter )

Seems like it's all about the attention; justifies something i guess.

I personally bought a local WWI ph and victory medal from a junk box at a roadside sale some dude set up. That's about a half inch above the trash i think! $3 each.

Nowadays, everyone must belong to some sort of cause. Very fashionable and PC. Protest everything. No brains required. :love:

+1.?

+2

I am all for the reuniting the Purple Heart or what ever medal you want to give back to a family that probably never wanted it.That is your own business on what you want to do with your medal(s) or ones someone donates to the cause.But to out law the procession of owning one is ridiculous. I just hope AP is not part of this movement.

Good one Kurt...was thinking about this(Kerry) last week.Will the Honorable Kerry be on the band wagon of this new proposed law with all the glad handing and media attention or will he see the need for those do do as they wish with private property??

And here I was stupid enough to think that political posts weren't allowed on this forum. What was I thinking? Perhaps that rule doesn't apply to the favored.

Moderators: You should remove all these political comments.

And here I was stupid enough to think that political posts weren't allowed on this forum. What was I thinking? Perhaps that rule doesn't apply to the favored.

Typically true, but in this case the ENTIRE subject is "political."

​I didn't start this as a political discussion.

True, but the Purple Heart aspect of the show is totally interwoven with what Congress is proposing to do relating to Purple Hearts. That's what I meant by "entire subject" and being "political."

Forum Manager

This whole thread is political related because of the law that is trying to be passed, so this thread is getting extra leeway to discuss.

The above comment and ones like it are useless and in fact very childish. There is no such thing as "favored" members and those that think there are, are completely wrong. What it comes down to is some moderators rule with a stronger fist then others.

Everyone is treated the same on this forum. There are many members who keep getting warned about their "actions", including some on this thread, and if they don't start following the rules they will be gone from the USMF.

Now we can go back to this subject , and no further comments are needed upon how the Mods should do their jobs.