PURPLE HEART'S ON AMERICAN PICKERS

firefighter

I was curious about the G-1 leather jacket Mike was carrying out to the van....It wasn't bought during the filming of the show....

As for staged, no doubt....I know a guy who has a rare first addition book and it came to the attention of the Pawn Stars crew.....They run it by Rick to get a go/no go on whether or not he's interested.....Than it becomes a type of elimination round.....Than if you're fortunate to make the final cut, you show up and get into an episode....Bodes

That would explain a lot about why they suddenly decided to go after militaria and a Purple Heart in particular. Looks to me like Pete's friend just got used. I wondered at the time why Mike had that little emotional speech at the end about an uncle he never even knew and getting his PH. It also looks like another way for our friend to self promote and inflate his already over inflated ego even more. No way it is all a coincidence.

Nothing that happens with TV networks and executives is a coincidence.

This generalizing all TV networks and executives is the exact same thing people on here are arguing against with collectors. You cannot lump all TV networks and execs into one category just as you cannot lump all collectors into one category.

People now believe reality TV is real. They get their news from tweets, Instagram, and facebook. Yes. These reality TV shows are staged. Yes. Tweets are spur of the moment thoughts with no real research for the truth. Everyone knows that yet some people use these shows to quote value of their items and thereby perpetuate the theory that they are real. Is that the fault of the TV execs or the general public for not actually doing their own research?

These shows are meant to entertain. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I like the Pickers show and Antiques Roadshow only, and won't watch Pawn Stars or any others. Why? Because as much as I know it's somewhat staged, the Pickers guys are kind, and seem truly interested in what they're doing. They don't berate the sellers, and they don't throw little tantrums like other "reality" shows. I'm sure they started doing real antiquing (I'd never heard the word "picker" until this show), and had half a lifetime of finding people to talk to and buy from. Who wouldn't change careers if offered to do a TV show about the life? Instead of hoping to make a lower middle class living, and working very hard, they can now make good money from Hollywood. And they haven't become arrogant, they still climb around in the dirt and talk to people from all walks of life. I'm not about to throw stones about their show....I like it.

Wonder if they dare show up for the SOS this year. Wasn't Danielle there last year or the year before "to scout things out"?

I don't think you could name a show so fake as American Pickers.....well, maybe it wouldn't be that hard.

I have been collecting and selling American antiques for 40 years and the show drives me nuts so I seldom watch it. The only one that I enjoy is "Endless Flea Market" where I've actually learned something.

vintageproductions

Let me speak from someone who had one of these type shows.

No matter how well meaning the production team is everything has to go by the network execs, and they get final say in every aspect of the show.

When we were first approached to do Combat Cash, we were told the show would be 50% Antique Roadshow, 45% History Detectives, and 5% Pawn Stars. By the time we aired it was 95% Pawn Stars and 5% everything else. No matter how much we complained about the way we did things, we were told that collectors and historians are only a 1/2 of 1% that will watch the show, and that the show was for the rest of the world who knew nothing about militaria collecting.

I was told the first day on set, by a Discovery Channel exec., that there was no reality in reality TV.

Just remember it might be Mike's show idea, but it is without a doubt History Channel's show.

vintageproductions

From the PHR Facebook page. Appears to be some connection between them and Mike Wolfe. Wolfe also has a connection to TackleBox Films, production company mentioned in the post.

Possibly a crossover show? Mike finds the Purple Heart, then appears on the show featuring PHR, who assists in identifying the veteran's NOK and returning the medal?

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

If the above is now the case, the organization will have a conflict of interest by being paid to do the tv show.

The more I hear and read about PHR , the more red flags start popping up for me.

i totally agree with you.

That whole episode gave me a 'this aint right' feeling about it- and I won't be one bit shocked when that Fike shows up or is mentioned in a future episode -agenda

That whole episode gave me a 'this aint right' feeling about it- and I won't be one bit shocked when that Fike shows up or is mentioned in a future episode -agenda

Hmmm... I don't know if I'd consider it an "agenda"...

To a lot of people, Fike's cause sounds like a good one. In fact, who here DOESN'T think that it's kind of a cool concept to willingly return a Purple Heart to a member of the veteran's family just because it feels like the right thing to do? There are several stories here at this forum that have a very positive discussion about finding an item that belonged to a soldier and then returning that object to that same vet or their family.

I can see an episode about returning a Purple Heart Medal being well received by the public and getting good ratings.

In reality, he appears to be a fairly good publicist (or at least knows people that give him good advice), doing far better than the militaria collecting community in regards to presenting his point-of-view. I would never have thought of approaching the American Pickers team to help with promoting the organization. It's a great idea for Purple Hearts Reunited.

I think the network executives and producers are simply wanting to make a show that the viewers will like. I'm sure Fike has his own set of goals as well.

To a lot of people, Fike's cause sounds like a good one. In fact, who here DOESN'T think that it's kind of a cool concept to willingly return a Purple Heart to a member of the veteran's family just because it feels like the right thing to do? There are several stories here at this forum that have a very positive discussion about finding an item that belonged to a soldier and then returning that object to that same vet or their family.

I can see an episode about returning a Purple Heart Medal being well received by the public and getting good ratings.

In reality, he appears to be a fairly good publicist (or at least knows people that give him good advice), doing far better than the militaria collecting community in regards to presenting his point-of-view. I would never have thought of approaching the American Pickers team to help with promoting the organization. It's a great idea for Purple Hearts Reunited.

I think the network executives and producers are simply wanting to make a show that the viewers will like. I'm sure Fike has his own set of goals as well.

Yep...I really can't disagree. In fact, to be totally honest, what Fike's doing through his publicity may be saving more medals from the landfill, as people seeing them might want to rescue them in order to find who they belong to. And echoing longbranch, wouldn't it be better to have someone fish them out of the garbage or out of a cigar box being tossed with the goal of return in mind than not doing anything at all? (I've picked up several nice Purple Hearts after the person who saved them tried to find the family and couldn't, then offered them up for sale. They have since ended up in my book...by far a better ending for the memory of the sacrifices than anything else, I'd say.)

I know it sounds like I'm defending PHR, and I'm not. I don't agree with Fike's (and his follower's) open attacks on collectors, his pushing of a law to outlaw collecting Purple Hearts, nor his self-awarding of government medals (that's illegal, by the way...) But at the same time, from the viewpoint of the general public, he appears to be on the up and up, and yes, it provides feel-good material for the show. It's really tough to campaign against that, no matter his other actions.

what I meant is that he [Fike] is using the show to push his agenda [banning the sale of purple hearts] through a 'feels good' episode with the picker clowns.

what I meant is that he [Fike] is using the show to push his agenda [banning the sale of purple hearts] through a 'feels good' episode with the picker clowns.

I would love to know if Wolfe's little story about having a relative's PH is even true. Given the nature of this and other shows, I rather doubt it, now knowing the connection between him and that other guy. Probably just a made up "feel good" story to garner sympathy for his cause.

A very likely outcome of any PHR related show is this:

1 - A Purple Heart is "found" on Pawn Stars or American Pickers.

2 - The Purple Heart is turned over to PHR for research of surviving family members (long lost great-nephew or great-grandson)

3 - The Purple Heart is reunited with family members with great emotions on screen.

4 - The Purple Heart mysteriously shows up for sale on eBay or at one of the many Militaria Shows with a ridiculous price.

5 - Long lost great-nephew or great-grandson is untruthful or vague about where the PH was found.

A very likely outcome of any PHR related show is this:

2 - The Purple Heart is turned over to PHR for research of surviving family members (long lost great-nephew or great-grandson)

3 - The Purple Heart is reunited with family members with great emotions on screen.

4 - The Purple Heart mysteriously shows up for sale on eBay or at one of the many Militaria Shows with a ridiculous price.

5 - Long lost great-nephew or great-grandson is untruthful or vague about where the PH was found.

I would re-arrange your list slightly... :)

4 - Long lost great-nephew or great-grandson is untruthful or vague about where the PH was found lost.

5 - The Purple Heart mysteriously shows up for sale on eBay or at one of the many Militaria Shows with a ridiculous price.

1-scout for pickers locations photographs items at the location and sends the information to a "researcher"...probably PHR

2-if they find living relatives they contact them and ask if they want their family members items back

3-pickers approach person with the item and offer to buy it to give back to the family

4-seller tells them that is who they bought the items from and is confused as to why they want them back

5-pickers show collector "giving" the medals to them on the show

6-happy reunion with family shown on tv

, wouldn't it be better to have someone fish them out of the garbage or out of a cigar box being tossed

To be honest, how many times does this happen? Probably not nearly as much as it is mentioned on the forum. How often has someone on the forum actually pulled a purple heart out of the garbage? And I don't mean a seller telling you they pulled it from the garbage because sellers are not always reliable. :) I mean someone personally pulling a purple heart out of the garbage. And if it did happen, how recently was it pulled from the garbage? Probably not nearly as many times in present day.

...Kat

I have one that was pulled from the garbage dumpster.

As for them being thrown away, one will never know that figure as they are lost forever with no accounting method. I do know that I have had several people tell me that their family member's Purple Hearts was thrown out whn their parents/grandparents house was cleaned out. Because I exhibit my collection at public events, I get to speak to a lot of people about Purple Hearts. You would be amazed at the number of people who did not have any knowledge of the Purple Heart or any desire to learn more about it, until they saw my display.

To be honest, how many times does this happen? Probably not nearly as much as it is mentioned on the forum. How often has someone on the forum actually pulled a purple heart out of the garbage? And I don't mean a seller telling you they pulled it from the garbage because sellers are not always reliable. :) I mean someone personally pulling a purple heart out of the garbage. And if it did happen, how recently was it pulled from the garbage? Probably not nearly as many times in present day.

...Kat

Seems that for the number of instances a Purple Heart has been pulled from the garbage, there is a threshold that needs to be reached before it would actually matter to you. Please tell us what the magic number is.

Seems that for the number of instances a Purple Heart has been pulled from the garbage, there is a threshold that needs to be reached before it would actually matter to you. Please tell us what the magic number is.

My point is that as much as it is discussed on the forum, you would think it is an every day occurrence and collectors are rescuing thousands and thousands of purple hearts from the garbage. In reality, that number would be far less. There are far more bought and sold than are thrown away. Especially in this day and time where hoarders run amok.

I have one that was pulled from the garbage dumpster.

As for them being thrown away, one will never know that figure as they are lost forever with no accounting method. I do know that I have had several people tell me that their family member's Purple Hearts was thrown out whn their parents/grandparents house was cleaned out. Because I exhibit my collection at public events, I get to speak to a lot of people about Purple Hearts. You would be amazed at the number of people who did not have any knowledge of the Purple Heart or any desire to learn more about it, until they saw my display.

Did you pull it from the dumpster yourself?

When a house is cleaned out, generally any left over items are taken by the people doing the cleaning. These items are then sold at flea markets etc. One member on here has mentioned finding items when cleaning out a house. Those items may be in someone's collection rather than thrown in the garbage.

...Kat

My dad worked for our small city sanitation(garbage route) for about 15 years after being in construction.You would be surprised what gets tossed out.

We have a very old house here that traces back to one of the early settlers and he was a Civil War vet(F.F.French) if I recall the name correctly.He moved here after the war.For all of my life the home has been a funeral home and the owner now is second generation funeral home operator taking over the business from his father.

The house was on the route and on "pick up" day my dad happened to be the one tipping the cans.He took off the lid of the can.On top was a cigar box and in it were several GAR related badges,calling cards etc.He put them back in his scooter he was driving and didnt have time to look through the other bags.There were a lot of bags and he figures the owners of the funeral home had cleaned out the attic.The poeple lived in the home as well as ran a business from there and were renovating the place.The bags were black plastic type and he couldnt see in them and has no idea what else may have been thrown out.He framed up all these items along with a couple related things in his collection.I ended up purchasing this frame at his auction.

As for purple hearts I recently was asked about a subject and the Sullivan Brothers name came up and the disposition of the 5 Purple Hearts.Seems they were lost in a massive flood in Waterloo Iowa in 1963.According to the source I know personally one was actually found in the debris being hauled to the local landfill.My source worked for the city of Waterloo for 37 years on the garbabe route and was involved in hauling the debris to the landfill.He is also a very active researcher and area Historian and has ben a "go to guy" on anything Sullivan related and even knows members of the family.The people that found the JUNO have asked him to go on a voyage or two with them but his age is a factor.

There was another local vet who upon returning from the war,took his medals(to include purple heart)

to the out house on the family farm(thats a bathroom out doors for those not familiar with the term) and "threw them down the hole".He had enough of war and its memories.Again just a story but was this was a a first cousin of my fathers.

Just stories from the "garbage man" but people will believe what they want.

Stuff far more valuable than a named Purple Heart is pitched into dumpsters all the time. Valuable oil paintings, documents, old photos, guns, you name it.

Over the years, I have purchased militaria from antique dealers that was found in the trash.

Did I see the picker pull it out of the dumpster ? No, but have no reason to believe the story was untrue.

I have purchased two Purple Hearts that were thrown away. One was found in a trash can at a garage sale, the other found in a dumpster according to the dealers.

Wharf

Did you pull it from the dumpster yourself?

When a house is cleaned out, generally any left over items are taken by the people doing the cleaning. These items are then sold at flea markets etc. One member on here has mentioned finding items when cleaning out a house. Those items may be in someone's collection rather than thrown in the garbage.

Another story from the tag sale lady here....

She has a business she started to help people down size and transition.Her husband was/is an auctioneer and often there are households that do not warrant a large auction due to expenses of renting a building,advertising etc.these costs will eat up a small sale.

She was contacted by a individual to sell the large items being the house and the car.The auctioneer was also had his realty license.She asked if there was anything else for sale .The individual was the son of the prior owners.He said no he had rented a yard long(rol off dumpster like a truck trailer) and was "cleaning" out the house.He lived out of the area and didnt have time to have an auction he stated.He explained he took"what he wanted" and was throwing away the rest.They made an appointment and spoke to him and offered the tag sale service.There were collectible items,2 Navajo rugs,German dagger,german flag,Ww2 uniforms,Local avertising etc.Fast forward to after the sale...they handed him a check for over $27,000 and hadnt sold the house or car yet.He was going to throw it away so not all people have that save it attitude.He just wanted it gone and getting a dumpster was his quick solution.

And yes I have pulled items out of the trash myself.Not a purple heart but at one of the tag sales I asked if I could look in a couple trash bags in the attic they had left prior to the sale.It was in a sectioned off area.The lady said sure.I found a mint set of WW2 navy hbts and a set of foul weather gear.They said they had been been there for a month working on the attic alone(it was like a small house in itself)they had filled five dumpster of stuff they felt wasnt "sellable"The families who had lived there hadnt thrown anything away and much od it went back to 1890 and forward.The Navy items belonged to a Naval doctor.

And let's not forget the THREE Purples Hearts that John Kerry thew over the Capitol Fence in Washington DC back in 1971 in protest of the Vietnam War. Not all veterans "cherish" their medals.