PURPLE HEART'S ON AMERICAN PICKERS

firefighter

Did anyone else see the latest episode of 'AMERICAN PICKERS'? It shows them visiting a military collector.The collector/seller gives them a named PH to research and return to a family member.The are also seen packing their truck with a Navy/MC flight jacket.In the background you can see a General of the Army vehicle plate, pretty cool.

Season 16 Episode 13: Risks and Rewards

In Detroit, Frank takes a big risk on one of the greatest pieces he's ever seen; Mike acquires a Purple Heart along with a very special mission.

I saw that last night and at first I thought," Hey great for that collector!" But later on I had some mixed feelings about it and wondered just what the purpose was since they have never bothered with militaria in the past. Was this part of an agenda? I don't know.

I know John he told me a month or two ago that they had filmed at his place.

I would caution anyone who watches that reality tv is not always reality.

The general of the army jeep plate is real, the jeep driver kept it, and there is a signed portrait from the general to the jeep driver to go with it.

Pete

The general of the army jeep plate is real, the jeep driver kept it, and there is a signed portrait from the general to the jeep driver to go with it.

Pete

Anytime I watch that show or PAWN STARS I take it with a grain of salt, especially their prices and so called 'experts'.What did your friend tell you about him 'donating' the medal for research & possibly returning it to the family? I agree with TLeo, is there an agenda? The new PH law came to mind when I saw this.At least they didn't describe us as money hungry greedy people.

Pete

I absolutely believe these "reality" shows are staged which made it even more odd they would do this one. I too would like to hear what your friend said about it. Just seems like too much of a coincidence which I don't much believe in.

They way the show works they advertise that they are looking for stuff in your area.

Then they send a scout team to photograph the location and the stuff. They research the stuff beforehand.

Then if the place is worth showing up at they have their truck shipped to the location. The guys fly in, drive the truck around the block, and then knock on the door.

John said he sold just as much stuff to the production team as he did the pickers.

I don't want to speak for John, or really post anything else in public without asking him first.

Pete

I have heard that American Pickers did a promotion shot for Purple Hearts Reunited.

John was not involved in this at all if true. I can say for sure at the time of shooting he was unaware of PHR and the new proposed law.

I was worried PHR was involved.

Schofield1943

They way the show works they advertise that they are looking for stuff in your area.

Then they send a scout team to photograph the location and the stuff. They research the stuff beforehand.

Then if the place is worth showing up at they have their truck shipped to the location. The guys fly in, drive the truck around the block, and then knock on the door.

Not that I had any expectation whatsoever that anything was "real" about the show.... this is hilarious to read.

Id like to see an episode where Mike and Frank find a Purple Heart in a barn, and cant find any family who wants it, and sell it to a collector who cares.

Kurt

I agree, these shows are staged. But I think Jerry Springer is better at staging a show than the Pickers or Pawn stars.

I have also heard how the show works from a buddy that collects/restores Victrola's.He pretty much said the same senerio as above. I can't believe anyone really think these two Einsteins drive the country looking for stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

With regards to the scout team, can anyone really blame them? They, or the producers, probably get hundreds of requests from people who think they have great stuff but just want to be on TV. I also dont think anyone believes they drive across the country with just a van to pick up a few signs and an old oil can. I suspect they have a small convoy of vehicles that they fill up off camera. The point of both shows is to showcase rare items. Whether its "reality" or not doesnt really matter to me.

I too had seen this last night.

They did spend a little time talking about and showing the hearts. I was expecting them to show them researching or at least mentioning them towards the end of the show but became more suspicious after the show had ended and they didn't mention it all. At that point I figured there was a further agenda and I too was wondering if PHR will become involved and featured in a future show.

If in fact PHR is working with the show it only goes to show PHR is trying to bolster their PR.

Brent

I think we've had this conversation before on the Forum. The show is pretty much all made up. Even their shop in LeClaire Iowa they are really never there and it's more of a tourist trap to sell t-shirts and coffee mugs and promotional items from the show a lot of the stuff in there isn't even really for sale it's all props and for show. Danielle doesn't even live in Iowa she is from Chicago and pretty much has a burlesque dance show she does and is a part of. Pretty much I have heard the same thing for the last several years that the production company and people associated with them by a lot of stuff off camera Which that is fine but there also is a lot of things when I see them get offered $10 or $15 or $25 for something I think there is no way someone actually really would sell that for that kind of money it's all pretty much show and blow

As stated most of this is all people just wanting to Showcase their Collections and be on TV. They were in our area at one time looking at a huge petroleum collection and Auto Parts collection from a person that passed away and he had collected and amassed a lot of stuff. He had been a World War II marine and was a fairly wealthy trucking company owner.He had over 7 Semi Trailers full of different things which was to be auctioned off but a lot of it has not come out yet. They had one or two auctions then basically everything was shut down. He had a lot of oil and gasoline related items and that's what the pickers were here to look over. I personally know another man who had a 1960's vintage Bonneville motorcycle for sale and they looked him up but Frank would not come up the extra money to buy it. He wanted it pretty bad but he would not cough up an extra two hundred and fifty bucks to get the deal done

Plus how many times during the show do you see something in the background that they completely walked by and they don't even look at and it's worth a fair amount of money. I have seen them walk right by military items. I recall one show from Texas where they were in this man shop and it appears they walked right by a German World War II uniform. Plus I have seen helmets that have set on shelves and they never even bother to look at it. Maybe they did during production and that segment was cut out but there are often a lot of things you see in the background they don't even pay attention to

Plus how many times during the show do you see something in the background that they completely walked by and they don't even look at and it's worth a fair amount of money. I have seen them walk right by military items. I recall one show from Texas where they were in this man shop and it appears they walked right by a German World War II uniform. Plus I have seen helmets that have set on shelves and they never even bother to look at it. Maybe they did during production and that segment was cut out but there are often a lot of things you see in the background they don't even pay attention to

You simply can't know it all. I'm sure we've all passed on some AMAZING stuff simply because we didn't know the details of something.

Their focus is obvious not on military memorabilia, which is totally OK.

You simply can't know it all. I'm sure we've all passed on some AMAZING stuff simply because we didn't know the details of something.

Their focus is obvious not on military memorabilia, which is totally OK.

But...you see them buying military in the older programs but walk by it in the next episodes.Plus one of their go to buddies is from Rock Island auction(I have known him since I was 8 years old).Hes a gun.militaria and japanese sword buyer.

From the PHR Facebook page. Appears to be some connection between them and Mike Wolfe. Wolfe also has a connection to TackleBox Films, production company mentioned in the post.

Possibly a crossover show? Mike finds the Purple Heart, then appears on the show featuring PHR, who assists in identifying the veteran's NOK and returning the medal?

post-29885-0-23770600-1482938159.png

That would explain a lot about why they suddenly decided to go after militaria and a Purple Heart in particular. Looks to me like Pete's friend just got used. I wondered at the time why Mike had that little emotional speech at the end about an uncle he never even knew and getting his PH. It also looks like another way for our friend to self promote and inflate his already over inflated ego even more. No way it is all a coincidence.