1st MAW Coat with Camo Lining

aurelius180

I recently acquired a 1st Marine Air Wing Coat with pants. The pants have a name in them but unfortunately I can't seem to find one in the coat. While searching through the coat I noticed pieces of camo sewn into the coat in between the lining and the bottom pockets on both sides. I've never noticed this on another USMC coat before. Is there a significance to this?

Thanks.

post-154043-0-05658600-1482864476.jpg

post-154043-0-71662200-1482864476.jpg

post-154043-0-27526500-1482864477.jpg

I had a late war issued 1st Mar Div blouse with the exact same re-enforcing material for the pockets. I just think they used what they had on hand. Does this have a label inside of the skirt? Mine did.

Thanks for the info guys. My first thought was reinforcement for the pockets but, other than being a little wrinkled, the coat is in excellent shape. Maybe a preventative measure?

Mike- No other tags that I can find other than the College Hall Fashions stamp.

What rank is that? I thought Marines had round rockers on the bottom of their chevrons in WWII just like the Army did. That almost looks like a band or cadet chevron?

R Michael above has it right. These are reinforcement pieces behind the pocket flaps if I remember correctly. You will find them made of different styles of cloth - cammo, regular HBT, khaki, white, green. The factories didn't want to waste cloth during those years.

Steve