M4 leather handle

Steve S.

Hi guys! Just finished up a new leather handle on an otherwise excellent Utica M4 bayonet. I played around with the finish a bit going for a period aged look. I didn't sand it out as fine as I usually do & played around with the dyes a bit using a lighter base, then a darker coat with some light sanding thru the top coat in spots then polishing. Gives it a "gun oil stained" look. Opinions??

post-161323-0-89418900-1482828742_thumb.jpg

post-161323-0-66431300-1482828771_thumb.jpg

Removed pommel?

yes, I removed the pommel. If the pommel is off, I can compress the washers better & get things good & tight.

Thanks for the kind comments! That lets me know I'm on the right track with this.

Very nice work!

I would assume that you're chucking up the bayonet in a lathe and cutting the washers? I can't think of another way to do it...

No matter what it looks great!

Very nice work!

I would assume that you're chucking up the bayonet in a lathe and cutting the washers? I can't think of another way to do it...

No matter what it looks great!

Nope, no lathe work. the washers when finished are actually oval shaped not round, so the lathe would cut grooves that were deep on the top bottom & shallow on the sides. I do each groove by hand. I also cut my own washers from leather hides & do about half of the sanding by hand. The only machine work is the rough shaping of the handle on a belt sander.

• 4 weeks later...

How do you compress them?

I do that on a case by case basis depending on how things "stack up". I stack & glue the washers on in 3-4 increments, compressing with an old M5 bayonet guard & clamping each batch until dry. compessing each section like this makes things good & tight along the way & much easier to compress the last section & install the pommel. for pesky installs, I can jig up in a 40 ton hydraulic press I have.

How do you refasten the pommel?

Pinned ones get pinned, Peened ones get peened. I'm working on something now to try & replicate the starburst pattern so the ends don't look smoothed over from peening with a small hammer. Won't look exactly like the original, but possibly a little more visually pleasing.