The loop inside of the musette bag

robinb

Looks like that drawing references a few other drawings, one of which is labeled "Musette Bag Details", maybe there is an answer in one of those. Unfortunately, the image is too small to read what the drawings numbers are, do you have a larger version of this drawing?

Here is a thought, maybe we are looking at this in the wrong direction. Instead of looking for items to put in the loop, maybe the loop was designed to more securely attach the bag to something else. A rod or pipe run through the loop would allow the flap to open and close fully without compromising access to the contents. Note how the spec drawing shows the loop going up, anything that hangs in the loop would pull it down and put extra stress on the stitching, potentially leading to early failure. This simply doesn't make sense to me. The only way that configuration seems to make sense is that whatever goes through it is pulling up, or the bag itself is pulling down.

There is some good stuff going on in this forum....the IFAK questions in an earlier thread and this thread about the musette bags. Very interesting....keep it going.

Ronnie

Looks like that drawing references a few other drawings, one of which is labeled "Musette Bag Details", maybe there is an answer in one of those. Unfortunately, the image is too small to read what the drawings numbers are, do you have a larger version of this drawing?

Here is a thought, maybe we are looking at this in the wrong direction. Instead of looking for items to put in the loop, maybe the loop was designed to more securely attach the bag to something else. A rod or pipe run through the loop would allow the flap to open and close fully without compromising access to the contents. Note how the spec drawing shows the loop going up, anything that hangs in the loop would pull it down and put extra stress on the stitching, potentially leading to early failure. This simply doesn't make sense to me. The only way that configuration seems to make sense is that whatever goes through it is pulling up, or the bag itself is pulling down.

Interesting idea. I will say that it seems all most like using the shoulder straps would just about acomplish same thing though.

The Musette Bag details sheet for the M36 Bag also call it a "Loop". The detail sheet just has some of the individual pieces in better detail for manufacture. I would like to add that according to the Officers Guides for WWII state that the tent and poles go in the bedding roll. So the Loop is not for tent poles.

Every musette bag was issued with the carrying strap the loop is were the carrying strap is stored when used with the suspenders?

as I mentioned before, this always was just the most logical reason for the loop. at least in my eyes... if it is just labeled "Loop" in all the drawings and so forth then maybe that is simply all it was for? maybe they just threw the loop in so that they would have a secure way to keep the straps with the bag until they were issued

Every musette bag was issued with the carrying strap the loop is were the carrying strap is stored when used with the suspenders?

That, makes the most sense, maybe probably.

robinb tried a TL-122 flashlight, which is what popped into my mind too - but, the fit was very tight although it did manage to hang there.

The "Uncle Sam Mystery Loop" intended most of all, as bheskett said, to annoy collectors a century later! :blink:

Refer back to post #10.

I can see when they were new and first issued from the crate if the strap was present and hooked on to the bag it is very difficult to try to store them in a pile with the strap hooked to the bag?

One other thing, I've own many bags from mint to heavy combat worn and the loop inside never looks worn to the state of becoming frayed so it tells us it was not used much.

Seems to me the sling easily could've been secured inside the bag, somewhere, without having to use precious wartime material. The loop needed to have a real purpose in order to have been sewn in there in the first place.

Here is some WWII issued toilet paper in the waterproof envelope and that won't fit other than the small roll from the K Rations and I don't think that's what it's for either. Another thought is for a rolled up map but don't like that either even if there was no map case issued to the GI.

post-7997-0-68791900-1482954274.jpg

I am not sure how the loop was used but it seems inconvenient for a flashlight. I would think the flashlight would be on the belt where it could easily be reached if needed.

...Kat