New Mannequin Display. WW2/Occupation of Germany 7th Army Ike

Lawdog

New mannequin display. 1945 pattern Ike to a WW2/Korean War service/Occupation of Germany veteran, in the 85th Field Artillery Batallion of the 7th Army. It's missing one 85th FA Bn DUI, the Artillery collar disc and a set of sewn bullion 3 tour overseas hashmarks on the left sleeve above the service stripe. (Currently seeking replacements!) This jacket features the red artillery rope on the right sleeve, rayon Corporal chevrons and green epaulette leadership tabs. Ribbons are Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, the US Army Good Conduct first award, WW2 Victory and Army of Occupation in Germany. This veteran most likely enlisted during the last year of WW2 and saw no combat during that period. The jacket is German tailored and features a BEATIFUL German made 7th Army insignia in bullion and ultra rare German made "SEVEN STEPS TO HELL" patch in bullion. Overall, this is one HELLUVA nice jacket for a mere Corporal. Whoever he was, he had style!

Posted Image

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Curious, in the 50s 85th FA Bn was in the 10th Infantry Division, had been since it's activation in 1948.

631st Field Artillery Battalion inactivated 8 September 1945 in Italy Redesignated 4 November 1946 as the 85th Field Artillery Battalion Assigned 1 July 1948 to the 10th Infantry Division and activated at Fort Riley, Kansas Inactivated 1 July 1957 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 10th Infantry Division

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 77th Field Artillery Group; 634th Field Artillery Rocket Battalion; and the 85th Field Artillery Battalion consolidated 27 June 1958 to form the 77th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System

post-34986-0-99857100-1482800538_thumb.jpg

Nice looking display LD

The occupation uniforms are under rated and under appreciated

Thank you! This is actually my 2nd Occupation of Germany Ike jacket. The other in my collection belonged to my father. He was stationed at Bad Hersfeld, Germany with the 7th Army/63rd Engineer Batallion Combat during Operation Gyroscope, 1956-1959.

It also does not have a ROK PUC award, hmm, maybe this guy was first in the 85th, then in another unit within 7th Army??

It could be...I know the 85th was a towed 105mm Howitzer group. I also have several small B&W photos that came with the jacket. They are all photos of artillerymen in the field, some dated 1952 on the back. I know that the Seven Steps To Hell patch was unauthorized for wear. I'm guessing that this was this soldiers coming home uniform, and that perhaps he left the 85th Field Artillery DUI's on the epaulettes. The other mystery is a set of Sterling Pinback jump wings that were in an envelope stapled to the jacket. My father told me that when he was promoted to NCO while in Germany, he was given the option of attending any school of his choice as a reward. My father stated that he chose jump School and was able to earn his wings as a benefit of being promoted to NCO. I have not placed the wings on this jacket because I'm not 100% sure that they are original to the jacket.

• 3 weeks later...
FlyingTigers03

Very nice...I agree with Doyler. The occupation uniforms go unnoticed most of the time, but I think they are from a very interesting but sometimes forgotten period of both American and European history.