USMC Band Bell Crown?

Brig

Gents, I was sent these images and were wondering on the take of it. Trying to get interior images, will post as I get. Can any of you band guys/guys with early band regs point me in the direction to find out more about this?

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Interesting cover... Reading through the 1912 regs, I don't see anything about red bell crowns.. Perhaps Alec could offer some insight?

MARFOREUR/AF SgtMaj

This was a early type that did not last long. I am know sure if it is a band cover or not. There is another type like this that has the reverse colors; Top was blue with red band. No quatrefoil. That didn't last long either.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

SgtMaj,

I think the one you are talking about is the 1904 Full Dress for enlisted Marines but it did have a red quatrefoil.. It is shown on page 249 of Alec's book "Equipping the Corps" which was the blue cap with the red band. This one looks more red and black to me...

MARFOREUR/AF SgtMaj

Roger. IRT the posted cover it is definitely blue and red. I have personally seen this cover. Hope all is well. S/F

Saved round: Merry Christmas!!!!,

• 8 months later...

I just returned from deployment a couple days ago and honestly forgot about this, have been out of the research loop awhile

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Welcome home brother! I got something to show you later on (if it arrives today). Would love to know more about this cover though! Is the owner on the forum?

• 1 year later...
teufelhunde.ret

Absent a makers or Depot stamp I wouldn’t touch this with your monies. Could very well be a civilian, fraternal, militias band, Hollywood prop or any number of other outfits. Not to mention the wear overall is extremely inconsistent with the hand sewn bill and bill. This is pure rublish!

• 1 month later...

Absent a makers or Depot stamp I wouldnt touch this with your monies. Could very well be a civilian, fraternal, militias band, Hollywood prop or any number of other outfits. Not to mention the wear overall is extremely inconsistent with the hand sewn bill and bill. This is pure rublish!

This Cover just sold on EBay a few months ago., with a different EGA of coarse. I believe it sold for $3k, might have been $3500. The new owner(not me), swears its legitimate, and even claims to have the correct uniform to match it.

I would love to see evidence to support its authenticity, unfortunately however, I believe your assessment is likely the case with this cover.