Uniform and Medals to Vietnam door gunner/infantryman 17th Air Cav

CHASEUSA11B

I picked this up a while back and posted it on the Facebook forum...

I purchased this uniform on eBay which is named and identified to a soldier who served as an infantryman and door gunner and Vietnam.

I contacted the seller and he had some other items from the estate including a Purple Heart, Soldiers Medal, ARCOM w V, and national Defense. The SM and ARCOM are named and appear to be replacement medals. The PH is WW2 issue: I'm not sure if he was issued an old stock medal or this isn't his.

The best part is the photos and info I found online!

post-6201-0-03143600-1482647875_thumb.jpeg

What a grouping and what a guy, a real hero even if I'm sure that he wouldn't call himself one. Especially for trying to save that crew that earned him the Soldier's Medal and Purple Heart. Thank you for sharing this group with us.

Amazing stuff to a real hero.I was thinking the bottom row was backwards, it is, but if you look at the pic of him receiving him Soldiers medal thats how he wore them.

Whats not to like.

Skulls

Dead bodies

More dead bodies

Dead snakes

Dead Tigers

A really cool cammo shotgun vest made from tiger and ERDL.

Thank you for the comments gentlemen.

Kammo man- I agree. I thought the pictures were the best part and show stuff you don't always see with sanitized pictures if the war

Amazing stuff to a real hero.I was thinking the bottom row was backwards, it is, but if you look at the pic of him receiving him Soldiers medal thats how he wore them.

I saw that too. The uniform appears to be the same worn in the photo with the same ribbons and Attachment. The wings have been removed and the CIB moved down but there are pin holes where it was

It is interesting that he doesn't wear a device on his sir medal

Very nice! The WW2 Purple Heart would have been the correct award for the time period, so there's a good chance it was probably his. The other two are later replacements.

Wonderful photos!

A few random thoughts. Since he left the Army in Jan 1970 the SM would have been awarded after AD. Perhaps he went into a Reserve Unit? Letter states he was authorized a BS also with a possible BS with V device pending but not found. The PH was most likely not for burns rescuing attempt as that would not be a combat action and SM covers that. He seems to have been a 11B at some point and that is where a lot of door gunners came from (CIB). Quiet a guy and in some respects reminds me of of my crew chief who did 2 tours at least himself and my primary door gunner who had a great positive attitude.

​I think the SM maybe a replacement or someone put it in an 80's era type case? If you look at pic #2 it shows him in uniform, 1st AVN BDE, receiving his medal.The engraving on the SM & Commendation Medal look the same, thats what makes me think original.But I am NOT an expert on engraving.