Woodland BDU Coat, 1st Cavalry Div./82nd Airborne

HelmetGuy

Nice uniform to a West Pointer.

Quote from:

Link

Published: Sunday, August 5, 2007

A risky partnership in Baghdad

By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Los Angeles Times

U.S. Army Lt. Col. Dale Kuehl, a West Point graduate, is trying to persuade Iraqi army leaders to support the Revolutionaries, but those commanders remain critical of the fighters.

"We've been in government four years, and we're not giving weapons to anyone who comes," Defense Ministry spokesman Mohammed Askari said. "If we don't control those people, they will use their arms against us."

Kuehl concedes that as the Revolutionaries grow, they may abandon plans to join the Iraqi police and become a Sunni counterpoint to the Shiite militias they have long fought.

"The challenge will be trying to keep it under control," Kuehl said of the group. "We do not want this to become another sectarian militia."

And more from:

Troops at Baghdad Outposts Seek Safety in Fortifications

By Ann Scott Tyson

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 8, 2007; A01

Link

Lt. Col. Dale C. Kuehl oversees three camps set up since February in western Baghdad's Mansour area and said he plans to move one of them to a more secure location. "I've never been real comfortable with the IP station," or Iraqi police station, said Kuehl, commander of the 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, who has ordered that a tank or Bradley Fighting Vehicle barricade the front at all times. "It's been probed a couple of times," Kuehl said, noting that there are several routes leading into the station.

Sorry I forgot the caption for the picture above.

Army Lt. Col. Dale Kuehl, commander of the 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, presents Iraqi Army Lt. Col. Wail Mohamed

Hussain, commander of the 2nd Battalion, 1st Brigade, 6th Iraqi Army Division, with a gift in appreciation of their cooperation

in the Ameriya neighborhood of Baghdad’s Al Mansour. Photo by PFC April Campbell, Office of the Secretary of Defense PA.

Is the star on the jumpwings for Grenada?

I would guess that the Colonel jumped into Panama.

The 82nd jumped form C-141 Starlifters.

The even dropped M-551 Sheridan Light Tanks.

I would guess that the Colonel jumped into Panama.

The 82nd jumped form C-141 Starlifters.

The even dropped M-551 Sheridan Light Tanks.

That's my guess as well.

I don't usually buy anything this recent, but I just couldn't pass on this one when I saw it on the used clothing rack at the surplus store.

Assuming that he earned the combat jump star (aka 'mustard stain') with the 82nd, this would almost have to be from Panama.

No one from the 82nd jumped in Grenada, and the 82nd has only done one very small company (-) sized airborne assault since then (B/3-504 supporting Rangers in Afghanistan). Remember that the combat jump into Haiti was turned around after the planes were in the air- Operation 'Never Mind' as we called it. There were a few options for 82nd mass tactical assaults in OIF (BIAP and one or two others were planned and canxed), but the only one that was actually executed was the 173 ABCT jump in the North. There were several smaller, special ops insertions by parachute.

It is possible that he made a combat jump with another unit but chose to wear his 82nd combat patch on that particular uniform, or was in an unusual billet like the 82nd LNO to a special ops unit that made a combat jump.