Exterior of PASGT helmet?

Chickenpuffball

Chickenpuffball

Are PASGT helmets corked? I recently bought a PASGT helmet from 1986 and the exterior looks like cork.

PASGT:

W0vhoQu.jpg

WW2 Front Seam:

8fz83dr.jpg

- Nadav

I have a new, unissued 1986 dated PASGT. I don't know what is in the paint, but it feels like the same texture as that on my unissued original finish early production WW2 helmet.

Chickenpuffball

I have a new, unissued 1986 dated PASGT. I don't know what is in the paint, but it feels like the same texture as that on my unissued original finish early production WW2 helmet.

Same here, although I don't know if they were issued or not. I'm pretty sure PASGT helmets were only used with covers.

Same here, although I don't know if they were issued or not. I'm pretty sure PASGT helmets were only used with covers.

PASGT were worn sans cover by OPFOR, in Basic Airborne School, in Air Assault School

Chickenpuffball

PASGT were worn sans cover by OPFOR, in Basic Airborne School, in Air Assault School

True, although that doesn't warrant an addition to a helmet's design.

The standard texture used on U.S. helmets post World War II has been either silica sand or ground walnut shell dust, this does include the ECH as well.

Chickenpuffball

The standard texture used on U.S. helmets post World War II has been either silica sand or ground walnut shell dust, this does include the ECH as well.

Is there a reason for this?

My best guesstimate is that the cork was found to scuff and wear smooth easily with use, while the sand or walnut shell flour is much more durable over time. As well as being an inexpensive option.

Chickenpuffball

My best guesstimate is that the cork was found to scuff and wear smooth easily with use, while the sand or walnut shell flour is much more durable over time. As well as being an inexpensive option.

I meant to ask why they had that texture/cork if they would've had a cover. But yeah, it seems that cork also breaks apart and chips (evidenced by the picture of my WW2 helmet).