BSA with 2nd Army?

totenkopf74

Good Morning Gentleman's

I found this " Unusual "Patch

2nd Army Explorer Scouts Rifle Match

Ok I well know that is an BSA patch ,but...why the 2nd Army?

Regards

post-162492-0-72777500-1482502672_thumb.jpg

easterneagle87

That's a great patch!! With any youth organization (especially scouts), they look for sponsors and supporters. Explorers are for older boys and it makes sense to do an advanced activity such as a rifle team with an outfit such as the 2nd Army. Whether it was their Dad's outfit being involved with their kids or the outfit adopted them. It's really an excellent example of Cold War, 1950's Americana. Nice find!

I wonder if this was a match for Explorer posts sponsored by 2nd Army units. It may have been a postal match as opposed to face-to-face.

G

Nice patch!

I found this kind of interesting article from 1961, in which is suggested that in that year it was the 5th annual rifle match, sponsored by the NRA.

https://books.google.com/books?id=VPhMYV8xrAoC&pg=PA71&lpg=PA71&dq=explorer+scouts+rifle+matches&source=bl&ots=3sunpo1fkf&sig=K1DCnkgBmgi8TX_3b_YBJMlW6nI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwibi86iz4rRAhUD92MKHYd-DwUQ6AEIRjAH#v=onepage&q=explorer%20scouts%20rifle%20matches&f=false

In other finds, if I read it correctly, some of the (air) rifle matches may have started in 1957 and took place in Surrey, England?

It may also be that in America such matches took place at Ft Meade in Maryland?

There is another indication that the American Legion had something to do with co-sponsorship.

Anyhow, nice patch...

Yes back in the day, the military sponsored a lot of Scout actitivites I went to many Camporee's in the day on military post. way before 9/11 We always ventured out in training area's. Looking for left overs. There were plenty to be found. You could hardly dig a fire pit with out digging up full boxes of linked 7.62 nato blanks. They burried them so they would not have to carry them. Practice grendes. You name it....Scout masters frowned on us picking up this stuff. Ha...

Somewhere buried in my stuff is a BSA patch for "Missile Man for a Day".

On a different note, I've mentioned on here earlier my scout troop was hosted on a USNR Minesweeper, the USS Parrot which used to be berthed at Atlantic City. They actually took us out in the ocean during their training on a Saturday for most of the day. With the concern over personal injury these days, I'd be surprised if the Navy is still doing this with minors. There were no real patches for this event, but we all were given some ships tabs which we proudly wore on our BSA red jackets.

• 6 months later...
lamarhooten

Looks like a BSC located at Ft Cambell. Lost a chance to get a local made patch for Ft. Leavenworth KS. BS mini-campout back in the 80s. I bet our ASMIC president has afew of these in his collection! Maybe at the KS ASMIC show we can get him to bring some in and post the pics of them on here.

totenkopf74

Looks like a BSC located at Ft Cambell. Lost a chance to get a local made patch for Ft. Leavenworth KS. BS mini-campout back in the 80s. I bet our ASMIC president has afew of these in his collection! Maybe at the KS ASMIC show we can get him to bring some in and post the pics of them on here.

Hi lamarhooten

Jason ( an BSA patches seller )say that is an event hosted in Kentucky at the fort (F. Campbell ,Tennessee )where all Scouting groups were invited to attend. It has the symbol for Girl Scouts as well.