2005 National Boy Scout Jamboree Military Items

hooahmp2010

Hello: I was performing Military Police patrol duties in support of the National Boy Scout Jamboree in 2005 at Fort A.P. Hill, VA. At that time we still wore BDU's and part of our official attire was the military scouting patch shown in the picture. This patch badge was worn from our breast pocket button so everyone could see it in addition to our normal military police gear. I had offers from many people wanting to trade patches for this one since it was extremely limited, but I never budged and kept it. At the end of our time performing duties, we received Jamboree Army Challenge coins from General Yingling, and were also given the staff only scouting hat from that year. I haven't seen anything else like this on the forum yet, so felt like sharing. Thanks for looking!

post-11538-0-80627900-1482455904.jpg

I was there as a scoutmaster. A couple of my boys talked the ROTC guys out of the banner for me. Could you post a closeup pic of the coin? I erned the action center patch each year I attended as an adult.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

Cool to hear from someone else who was there. I will never forget the day President Bush was set to attend. There were literally dozens upon dozens of kids and adults dropping like flies due to the extreme heat, which kept us busy. Ambulances and helicopters taking people away non stop. I almost became a heat casualty myself, but not from a shortage of water. I didn't have enough electrolytes etc. I also remember the lightning strike tragedy. I have attached a couple of up close pics of the challenge coin. Hope you enjoy!

post-11538-0-94538400-1482465150.jpg

post-11538-0-53637100-1482465155.jpg

That is a really cool piece. We called it the death march with the heat index of 115 and West Virginia humidity guys were dropping like flies. I was about 20 feet away when President Bush passed by waving at all of us. The lightning tragedy was very sad I could not imagine seeing that at such a young age. My trrop was quarantined for 24 hours due to guys getting sick from some sort of bug one of the boys brought with him. This post bring back some fond memories and I dug through my Jamboree stuff to take a trip down memory lane.

Thanks

Bob

Yes, the last one at Ft. A.P. Hill was in 2010. Now it is held on The newest Scout high adventure base in West Virginia. The place is called Bechtel Summit. I have been to four National Jamborees and has a great time at each one. I have not been to the new location yet.