Jump Wings (With Combat Stars)

I just read in "Band Of Brothers" about stars applied to jump wings

to signify the number of combat jumps. This is new to me. Could

someone post image(s) of jump wings with the stars?

Thanks,

Owen

Here is a photo of an 82nd paratrooper wearing a pair of jump wings with the star. I have a few examples of jump wings with the jump star, but no good scans right now.

Patrick

post-1519-1223185332.jpg

Here is a group of wings from George E Montgomery,Surgeon,508th PIR,82nd Airborne.George made jumps at Normandy and Holland.Served the whole war with the 508th.The lower right wings are english made and the ovals are black wool with silver border.

RON

post-342-1223223997.jpg

Very Nice Doyler. Here is a wing that was worn by Harold Wilhelm Pathfinder HQ/506th PIR. It is a Guant wing FWIW.

Great wing Jake,

The english ones are getting extremely hard to find and Id'd to a pathfinder....outstanding!!!!

Thanks for posting

RON

Great wing Jake,

The english ones are getting extremely hard to find and Id'd to a pathfinder....outstanding!!!!

Thanks for posting

RON

Thanks Doyler for the kind words. You are correct English wings are very tough to find as are 100% ID'd wings such as yours. As a side note, of the 30 or so ID's wings I have been fortunate enough to obtain over the years only a few of them in fact have "Combat Jump Stars" affixed to them. This is in spite of the fact the Veterans that I obtained them from did participate in the Normandy, Holland or both 101st AB combat jumps. One set I have came from a PF from the 506th and he also jumped into Bastogne as well as Normandy and Holland. His wings do not have any devices on them. Years ago I actually researched how they put the stars on the wings. Turns out that they (the men in the 506th anyway) would take their wing to one of the assistants of Samuel "Shifty" Feiler who was the 506th Regimental Dentist and they would drill the holes there and affix a traditional campaign ribbon star. I am sure that this was common practice for the other Regiments in the Division.

Hope this helps,

Jake Powers

Thanks Doyler for the kind words. You are correct English wings are very tough to find as are 100% ID'd wings such as yours. As a side note, of the 30 or so ID's wings I have been fortunate enough to obtain over the years only a few of them in fact have "Combat Jump Stars" affixed to them. This is in spite of the fact the Veterans that I obtained them from did participate in the Normandy, Holland or both 101st AB combat jumps. One set I have came from a PF from the 506th and he also jumped into Bastogne as well as Normandy and Holland. His wings do not have any devices on them. Years ago I actually researched how they put the stars on the wings. Turns out that they (the men in the 506th anyway) would take their wing to one of the assistants of Samuel "Shifty" Feiler who was the 506th Regimental Dentist and they would drill the holes there and affix a traditional campaign ribbon star. I am sure that this was common practice for the other Regiments in the Division.

Hope this helps,

Jake Powers

Jake,

Thanks for the info on the wings.I too have seen more wings with out than with the stars as you stated.I believe there are more now.Just like the helmets that get made over I think a lot of the wings have stars and other devices added.

I only have a couple in the collection.One from a 507th man,one on uniform from Charlie Lustoff who was with the 506th in Holland and the Buldge,(I think A Co),Also one on a set of glider wings on a ike from a 101/82nd group I picked up years ago.Couple of groups of 17th stuff I have the vets had both glider and jump wings.I have the certificates (Para and Glider) to a local 17th man.He went to the 82nd at wars end.May post one of the 17th if I can find pics.Take care,

RON

Here is a photo of an 82nd paratrooper wearing a pair of jump wings with the star. I have a few examples of jump wings with the jump star, but no good scans right now.

Patrick

Love this photo. This guy must have been something with that hair and sideburns. :)

I would love to figure out who this guy was. I have a couple of his pictures, one showing him with a group of soldiers in company D, 505th before Normandy.

One of the names I MAY have associated with him is Edward Kanare. But, at this point, I have run into a brick wall concerning him. Here are some of the other photos from this grouping:

http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/airborne.html

One day, someone will ID this guy for me.

Patrick

I'm at... cough... work right now. This guy looks just like a guy we used to work with here. A real player, and we're laughing as if this is his grandfather. :lol:

I may have the chance to buy a set of these wings with stars. Is there a "safe" way to be sure of what you're buying?? I always try to determine if the method of attachment and patina look right.

My 507th Guy.He missed Normandy as he had a bone infection flare up in his leg from an injury.Every one in his stick was killed at Normandy on the drop exept his best friend.The others all drowned.His friend was later killed in Belgium before he caught up to the unit when it was assigned to the 17th.He wears a star on the wings and an arrow head on his ETO ribbon for the Varcity jump.

RON

post-342-1223240805.jpg

I'm at... cough... work right now. This guy looks just like a guy we used to work with here. A real player, and we're laughing as if this is his grandfather. :lol:

I may have the chance to buy a set of these wings with stars. Is there a "safe" way to be sure of what you're buying?? I always try to determine if the method of attachment and patina look right.

Jim,

Its a crap shoot at best.Some were soldered on most were drilled that I have.Best to know the source and check the patina as you say.

RON

Patrick, I saw the photo of your 82nd guy and I thought I saw him before! I went through my Roy Barger 508th PIR photo album and here's the photo of another guy that I thought it might be. It isn't him after all although there are some similarities. The photo I'm showing here is named to a "Bob Watts" of the 508th and he also has a star on his jump wings.

I'm also showing a set of clutchback jump wings that came from the estate of Roy Barger of the 508th. I have his WWII photo album as well as these jump wings. With him being deceased, no telling when these were acquired by him although the way the star is affixed shows some age. I have a photo of Barger wearing jump wings where the attached star can be seen but I'm not sure I can show it here with enough clarity. Kim

Kim

post-60-1223252066.jpg

post-60-1223252106.jpg

post-60-1223252134.jpg

Patrick, I saw the photo of your 82nd guy and I thought I saw him before! I went through my Roy Barger 508th PIR photo album and here's the photo of another guy that I thought it might be. It isn't him after all although there are some similarities. The photo I'm showing here is named to a "Bob Watts" of the 508th and he also has a star on his jump wings.

I'm also showing a set of clutchback jump wings that came from the estate of Roy Barger of the 508th. I have his WWII photo album as well as these jump wings. With him being deceased, no telling when these were acquired by him although the way the star is affixed shows some age. I have a photo of Barger wearing jump wings where the attached star can be seen but I'm not sure I can show it here with enough clarity. Kim

Kim

Kim,

Great grouping and wonderful document set. IMHO I would venture to guess that you have a set of the first generation of non-pin back jump wings. Well done.

Jake Powers

Here are a few of my attributed combat jump/glider wings, Enjoy.Paul

post-512-1223256140.jpg

F/327th

Paul,

Super english made glider badge.

The 506th are a nice variation as you dont tend to see the stars stacked one above the other.

Outstanding and thanks for sharing.

RON

RON

post-512-1223256298.jpg

3/506th

Well Baker502,

I hate these wings you show! :)

The biggest problem with the 506th oval and jump wing you have is that they are not in their proper home for un-loved 5-O-Sink stuff!

Very nice,

Jake Powers

They all ain't that purty. This is one I recently got for a couple of bucks. It has seen some wear and tear, but I think it is OK. Maybe WWII, Korean War vintage.

post-1519-1223262816.jpg