USN Hellcat Pilot Grouping

Bugme

I have this grouping currently in my hands for evaluation for possible purchase. The Pilot's name is Daryl Johnstone. I've got tons of pictures that came with the grouping, I've included a few in which he is pictured. I figured that I'd put it up on the forum for comments. The map is a battle map for Luzon. The medals are unattributable to the pilot.

Daryl_Johnstone_003.jpg

I like what I see so far, but I cant tell if the Air Medal is a USN contract medal for sure. A pic showing the back and the brooch will tell the tale.

Kurt

IMPERIAL QUEST
I like what I see so far, but I cant tell if the Air Medal is a USN contract medal for sure. A pic showing the back and the brooch will tell the tale.

Kurt

Kurt, are you referring to the area where the actual "gong" attaches to the suspension v groove? If so, am I correct in saying that it should be soldered to the medal and not attached as part of a casting like the Army version??

Kurt, are you referring to the area where the actual "gong" attaches to the suspension v groove? If so, am I correct in saying that it should be soldered to the medal and not attached as part of a casting like the Army version??

USN AM planchets were indeed 2 pieces , and made by the US Mint. They also have a different wrap brooch than AAF AM's . I cant tell from the pic if its 2 piece or if it has the right brooch. There is also a scarce post war slot brooch USN Air Medal contract too. 2 Piece planchet, slot brooch.

Kurt

Here's some pictures of the brooch and the back of the medal. The hinge area is soldered on, hard to tell on the picture.

Daryl_Johnstone_027.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST
USN AM planchets were indeed 2 pieces , and made by the US Mint. They also have a different wrap brooch than AAF AM's . I cant tell from the pic if its 2 piece or if it has the right brooch. There is also a scarce post war slot brooch USN Air Medal contract too. 2 Piece planchet, slot brooch.

Kurt

Interesting, I didn't know that there was a difference in the AAF and USN brooches....very interesting indeed.

BUGME,

Nice grouping!

You probably already seen this, but it looks like he is buried over at Fort Snelling, MN. Also he is listed in the USN accident reports. http://ftp.rootsweb.ancestry.com/pub/usgen...ng/ftsneljj.txt

http://www.accident-report.com/Crew_Names/navynames/usnj.htm

Any idea what ship or squadron he was with?

Oh, just found this:

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/USN/LLDec44.htm

USN Overseas Aircraft Loss List December 1944

DATE TYPE BUNO SQUADRON FROM DOWN AREA PILOT FATE

12/14/1944 FM-2 55544 VC-81 USS NATOMA BAY (CVE-62) LOS NEGROS PHIL ENS DARYL V. JOHNSTONE S

Here's some pictures of the brooch and the back of the medal. The hinge area is soldered on, hard to tell on the picture.

Still hard to tell from this pic too. Can you take a pic a little further back with the brooch laying flat? It looks like an AAF brooch., but I can tell 100%. I need a little bit better pic. Also take a close up shot of where the medal suspention meets the medal planchet.

Addendum.....

I just looked at the extra pics you IM'd me. This is definately an AAF AM rather than a Navy one. The best part of this group is the paperwork and photos anyway! I would buy it just for them!!

To see some pics of USN AM's to get the idea of how they look , go to this link:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1020

Note the matte finish to the planchets, the solderered suspensions ( 2 piece planchets ) , and the way the wrap brooch looks.

Kurt

I'd say this is a very common instance of a group being built around some original paperwork. The "group builder" used nice original WW2 era stuff, but screwed-up with the wrong Air Medal. But, as the other Kurt says, the paperwork is really nice and worth buying( if not too expensive). The AM, wings, shoulder boards, and cap together are worth around $100. Any amount above that is what you're paying for the paperwork.

Kurt