Lt. Col. James H. Dill, "Chesty" Puller, Seoul, Winter of the Yalu

kanemono

James H. Dill was born on July 16, 1927, at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant in August of 1948. He was initially assigned to the 18th Field Artillery at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. At the beginning of the Korean War, he was promoted to first lieutenant and joined the 31st Field Artillery the day before it sailed for Inchon in September 1950. Dill was a forward observer with a 105mm battalion. His baptism-of-fire was with the First Marine Regiment at Seoul where he conducted his first fire mission on enemy forces standing beside Colonel Lewis “Chesty” Puller. Dill was written up for and awarded the Bronze Star Medal by Colonel Puller for his actions during the recapture of Seoul. First Lieutenant Dill was the forward observer for the Seventh Division’s 31st field artillery and was the only forward observer attached to the First Marine Regiment. On September 25, 1950, the Marines were charged by a dozen tanks and self-propelled guns of the NKPA Brigade. The Marines fired their howitzers until the tubes became so hot that they had to cease fire. The Marines asked for 155mm howitzer fire from the Army. The 31st Field Artillery Battalion responded with awesome firepower, 360 rounds along the 3rd Battalion, First Marines direct front. The fire mission destroyed remaining NKPA tanks. First Lt. Dill was the FO standing with Colonel Puller who directed the 31st Field Artillery Battalion’s fire. Dill later served as executive officer of Battery B, 31st Field Artillery during the march to the Yalu River and during the disastrous retreat to Hamhung. He was later transferred to 57th Field Artillery in March of 1951. He served as a forward observer with various companies of the 31st Infantry. Dill’s last assignment in Korea was as executive officer of Battery A, 57th Field Artillery before leaving Korea in December of 1951. Dill later served in Berlin, Germany, before reverting to the active reserves. Dill retired as a lieutenant colonel in 1974.

Lt. Col. Dill wrote the book Sixteen Days at Mungol-Li (1993) and the American Heritage Magazine article Winter of the YaIu (December 1982), which tells of his escape from the Yalu in 1950. Lt. Col. Dill was also recognized by the Korean Government for not destroying Deoksugung Palace, a Korean National Treasure, despite the fact that North Koreans were using it as a base.

This “captured” Thompson submachine gun was presented to First Lieutenant Dill by officers of the 3rd Battalion, First Marines before he left Korea in 1951. Lieutenant Colonel Dill placed a note behind the trap door in the stock of the Thompson. In the note Lieutenant Colonel Dill stated that the Thompson was captured from the Chinese and used by Marines during their escape from the Yalu. Entire Chinese regiments were armed with Lend Lease Thompsons, and thousands more were captured from the Nationalist Chinese during the civil war.

Lt. Dill's uniform and patch is from the collection of Captainofthe7th

post-9487-0-77891600-1482271200.jpg

post-9487-0-74714000-1482271216_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-33382000-1482271238_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-04776400-1482271247_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-89704900-1482271256_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-32700500-1482271266.jpg

The receiver of Lt. Dill's Thompson sub Machine gun was cut up and destroyed because it was never registered during the 1968 amnesty. All of the parts except the solid steel receiver are from Lt. Dill's Thompson.

post-9487-0-49908000-1482271420_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-75500800-1482271427_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-79224800-1482271438.jpg

post-9487-0-34420600-1482271445_thumb.jpg

Captainofthe7th

:love: Always glad to see everything together! Dill is really an extraordinary officer - and human. He was very conscious of the Korean culture and country. He mentions things like this several times in his book. He doesn't mention the Deoksu Palace, but I am glad you did as I think that really says the most about his character. He had very good morals for such a young man with so much power to wield.

So, when did you say you were going to send me the thompson? :P

Rob

Very interesting grouping! I have a rather extensive grouping to the Battalion Commander of 3/1 during that time...I wonder how involved he was in the presentation of that Thompson

Here is the link to the grouping... http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/249457-serving-alongside-giantsa-marine-officer-in-wwii-korea/?hl=%2Bthomas+%2Bridge

And here is the write-up I did after research on the actions of 3/1 on the 25th...

At 0700 on the 25th, despite heavy resistance, Ridge and his men entered Seoul. The enemy fought savagely from roadblocks and rooftops, and the Marines of 3/1 found themselves engaged in savage house-to-house fighting. Ridge moved elements of his command post to the immediate front in order to best observe the situation, coming under enemy sniper and machine gun fire on several occasions. By nightfall, they had advanced nearly 2000 yards into the city. Forseeing a probable enemy counterattack, Thomas assigned his weapons company commander, Major Edwin H Simmons, to assist the rifle company commanders in establishing their defenses for the night. The roadblock (standard operating procedure at the time for infantry at night) was commanded by 1st Lieutenant Harold Savage and manned by 2 rifle squads, a heavy machine gun section, a rocket squad, and a 75mm recoilless gun section. Simmons established his forward command post in the cellar of a house on the high ground.

At 2009, the order came through to push the attack to the limit of their assigned objectives. When Thomas received this order, he directed Simmons to send a patrol 300 yards to the front to make contact with a similar patrol being sent out by 3/5. Corporal Charles Collins led an 8 man squad accompanied by 3 native guides. They encountered the enemy in the final preparation stages of a large infantry and armored counterattack-approximately a battalion size element supported by a dozen tanks. Spotted, the patrol came under enemy fire and Collins yelled at them to get back and report while he single handedly covered their withdrawel. The unit returned and reported their findings, and at 0145 Thomas relayed the intel back to Chesty Puller.

Major Simmons had heard the initial exchange of fire, which told him that Collins' patrol had encountered trouble. The sounds of tanks emerged from 5-600 yards to the immediate front of the roadblock. Simmons quickly warned Ridge and, as he issued orders to Lt Savage, enemy tanks opened up, mortally wounding his radio operator, PFC Julius Vargo. A full-scale battle erupted at the roadblock. Simmons called in artillery and mortar support as the Marines at the roadblock opened fire on the enemy armor with rockets and recoilless rifles. After 2 hours, the barrels of the supporting artillery were close to burning out. Ceasing their fire, the enemy resumed their armored attacks. At some point during the night, a hostile phosphorous artillery shell landed in the command post, severely burning Thomas' hands. In pain, he stayed at his post and continued directing his battalion. The rifle companies began to run out of ammo and Ridge sent out an urgent request for resupply. By utilizing all available vehicles, the ammo was able to be delivered under fire. The attack continued until 0530, artillery and mortars setting a record for the Korean War, expending all of the shells in a nearby Army dump in addition to their on-position reserves.

In the light of day, Thomas and his men were greeted by the carnage of the night prior. 4 enemy tanks and 2 dual-purpose anti-tank guns had been destroyed, and over 250 enemy were counted as dead. Corporal Collins, who had remained behind to cover his patrol as they ran to warn of the coming counterattack, made his way back to friendly lines, having dressed in Korean civilian attire and hunkering down in a house after holding out as long as he could. Thomas' men had to be relieved, as they had burned out the barrels of their weapons during the prolonged and heavy firing of the battle. When newsmen asked Puller about the fleeing enemy, Chesty replied in character, "all I know about a fleeing enemy is there's over two hundred out there that won't be fleein' anywhere-they're dead."

Brig,

That is an amazing group. When I got the Dill group I read everything I could find on the Yalu and the Chosin Reservoir. It is hard to believe that anyone could survive the cold let alone the Chinese. Your article is great reading. Thanks.

Dick

• 11 months later...

I just read the Frozen Hours by Jeff Shaara and I thought I would bring this group back up on the forum to remind everyone of one of the most difficult campaigns in American history.

Brian Dentino

Holy smokes! Now THAT is one great grouping. That presentation Thompson is extraordinary to say the least. Great read and great posts by all to really tie this story together nicely. Impressive!!!!!