1921 Confederate survey/pension record

rrobertscv

Here is one last photo of my GGGG Uncle John Mitch Roberts. I also scanned his 1921 Confederate survey he filled out, it was part of his pension application. If you had ancestors that were from Alabama, they have some great archives. If you notice in the photo, his right hand looks "drawn". He made it thru the war with-out getting hurt and was thrown from his horse when he was coming home at the end of the war. He broke his right arm, since he was alone, he set it himself and it never healed exactly straight. He bacame a Methodist preacher after the war, his G-dad was one of the first lawmen in Lawrence County, Alabama.

jm1.jpg

jm2.jpg

Robert,

a great photo of your GGGGU. He does have that Old Testament look going on with his full beard. No wonder he became a preacher.

The pension papers are great. Since Confederate pensions were given out (or not) by the individual Southern states it is awfully hard to research Confederate Soldiers. I am glad to know that Alabama still has good archives.

I understand that many old un-reconstructed records clerks refused to send Confederate Veteran archive material to the Yankee National Archives. So, it becomes very difficult to search for Confederates except at the state level. Have you had difficulties with these searches?