AN6505 vs. AN6505-1

Keith

Picked up two aviators kit bags. They are AN6505 number. Researching them all I see are AN6505-1. I think the owner of the ones I have was Post-WW2. Anyone know what the difference in the two bags are to justify an amended number? Thanks.

The two separately mean two different things; AN6505 is the drawing number and AN6505-1 is the part number but are the same thing if that makes sense to you. Typically on AN procurements they are awarded under the Part Number this is why most always you see the -1 number on the items. By specification it would detail that the part number was to be stenciled on the article so your bags missing the -1 are simply just an error nothing special or different.

I have had several of the early 6505s,, and they were in tan/kahki color...dual zipper on the top with a small 4 inch flap to cover the zipper heads when zipped...

and several of the 6505-1s, and these were all in the darker green...and thought the same...the 6505-1s were a late war number...construction was similar with the difference being a single zipper across the top and a flap/zipper cover that snaps along the top

Interesting. My two an6505's are a light khaki, one almost a mustard color. They have the two Talon zippers that meet at the top, but there is no flap to cover the zipper.

IIRC the tan/khaki had just a small flap in the center...then progressed to the full flap and single zip...

good to know the 6505 and 6505-1 are both one and the same..

It is likely that there was an amendment to the bag during its life span. Drawing AN6505 Bag-Aviators Kit was approved for joint AN standardization 16 December 1941 and like most canvas goods at that time they utilized khaki materials. During this time up till fiscal year 1944 they usually used the specification for procurement but starting in fiscal year 1944 it became the mainstream to utilize the Part Number for procurement purposes. We see this on flight clothing for example, early procurements used the specification number on the tags then you start seeing the Part Number AN65## etc. I think it is a fairly safe dating system to assume the khaki bags with Drawing Number AN6505 were early procurements and the OD bags with Part Number AN6505-1 were later procurements starting in late 1943 early 1944.