Signal Flag Leaflet Armored Troops

Peter B

Found this leaflet in a TM-10-565, I like to think that this extra bonus is from WW2.

Am I correct ? What do you guys think, ever seen it before ?

post-161542-0-63781300-1482073363_thumb.jpg

post-161542-0-37909600-1482074881_thumb.jpg

First one that I've seen. I like it.

Hello Robin,I am surprised that you don't have it in your magnificent collection, I assumed that this kind of material is more common in the states...

I've seen them before for controlling tank formations; I assume they would also work for tank destroyers and cavalry troops.

Thorin6, you are probably right, in the early 40s this was the best way to communicate with each other, have you ever seen a picture with the flags in use ?

Thorin6, you are probably right, in the early 40s this was the best way to communicate with each other, have you ever seen a picture with the flags in use ?

I think I have, but I have no idea where.

I havent found a picture with the flags in use and I have a hard time finding a picture with the CS-90 bag strapped to a vehicle :huh:

in the early 40s this was the best way to communicate with each other,

Actually pyrotechnics were the preferred method for small unit communication. Ever since WWI the Ordnance Dept. continually worked on developing ground signal pyrotechnics for infantry and cavalry. By the late 1930's they had adopted the M3 then M4 ground projectors that fired the M17 thru M22 parachute signals, they did attempt to adopt the 1-1/2" shot gun cartridge signals but ultimately went with rifle grenade type with modified M17A1 thru M22A1 by the Spring of 1943. signal flags found to be almost useless by rifle platoons and other small units.

• 9 months later...