Patch ID help - Army Service Forces patch?

tmcolumbus

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help ID a patch on my grandfather's army jacket. I apologize, but this is the only picture I have of him in his uniform and he passed away before I was born. I have also never seen the jacket or patch in person. It's taken at a distance so unfortunately you can't see any detail other than the basic shape of the patch.

My grandfather served in the 3282nd Ordnance Base Depot Company during World War II. After doing some lengthy research, I discovered that the 3282nd was based at the Red River Ordnance Depot in Texas at the time he deployed overseas (January 1945). I initially thought it looked like an Army Service Forces patch. I sent it to somebody that suggested it might be the 7th, 8th, or 9th Army Service Command patch. If it was any of those, it would probably be the 8th since the 8th Service Command covered Texas at that time.

I have no idea which of those patches would have been worn on that particular jacket. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Todd

post-164547-0-42638400-1482029000.jpg

Thanks for looking. I wish I had a better picture because it is so difficult to tell. I'm hoping my uncle has the jacket or patches stashed away somewhere.

Thanks again.

The SSI in the picture looks to have 6 points but the 7th service command has 7 so don't think that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its near impossible to tell anything from this photo. However, Red River Army Depot and its associated units would have been part of the U.S. Army Service Forces.

I'm leaning toward the 8th as well. Like vzemke said, it it nearly impossible to tell from that picture, but I figured this forum would be a good place to ask and maybe get pointed in the right direction, seeing as my grandfather never really talked about his service with my mom and uncle.

So thanks again guys.

Todd