Fake: M2 of Lt. Joseph Shelton 505th PIR - jkash

jkash23686

I believe that there is also another prior post in which it was stated that Mr.Kash is heading to the UK soon.

Great, I collect Mk.Is and IIs, does this mean that we are going to be seeing all manner of "exotic freshies" in those flavors?

I believe that there is also another prior post in which it was stated that Mr.Kash is heading to the UK soon.

Excellent !

If any member wants to contact me feel free to pm if you've bought anything.

Maybe we can discuss how to go forward with this

D.C.

Forum Manager

Enough with the veiled threats.

We have kept this thread open and we will keep it open as long as possible. But if members keep posting veiled threats about how or what they are going to do to Mr Kash, the thread will be locked and closed.

I believe keeping this open and everyone adding FACTS not theories, will help everyone, but the bs does nothing constructive.

Enough with the veiled threats.

We have kept this thread open and we will keep it open as long as possible. But if members keep posting veiled threats about how or what they are going to do to Mr Kash, the thread will be locked and closed.

I believe keeping this open and everyone adding FACTS not theories, will help everyone, but the bs does nothing constructive.

No veiled threats here

If people have purchased helmets from him that turn out to be fake those people deserve a refund.

We are not talking a hundred dollars here , some have spent thousands ! And deserve there money back

I believe they call it fraud on a grand Scale.

D.C.

Just to clarify that In NO physical way am I Making Any physical threats here to anyone.

I am simply saying that IF there is a lawful way of finding out that IF indeed the helmets have been faked then it would be good to seek legal advise about how to create a case against the seller.

That is all

Sorry if anyone perceived otherwise

Best

D.C

Burning Hazard

Side question,

Has anyone heard from member "Cadet Duck"? That's Shelton's son who bumped the original thread, hasn't logged in since August 4th, coincidentally the same time jkash left.

You'd think he'd be slightly concerned that his father's helmet got mistreated like this...

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Again why would Jkash bring this thread back to life? Unless to give Jkash the opera unity to say he's sold it and for cadet duck to say that Jkash is a nice guy?

I’ve been following this thread since it was brought back up. While I am not a high-end collector (my most expensive helmet was bought for just under $300), I have a question for those who collect high value M1s (M2s, named/unit M1Cs, painted helmets, helmets with provenance, etc.) and the answer may be of interest to those of us at the lower end of collecting. Where does the hobby go from here? It appears that many people are soured on this experience, but how does that impact the world of collecting US helmets? Are we going to see more questioning of those high value helmets, as well as their sellers? Are those who deal in these artifacts going to go behind the scenes, no public scrutiny such as found on this forum? Are prices going to drop precipitously because of this one case? Who will be taking the lead in moving the collecting community forward? Or, after a period of high indignation, will the hobby settle back into something resembling complacency?

....Where does the hobby go from here? It appears that many people are soured on this experience, but how does that impact the world of collecting US helmets? Are we going to see more questioning of those high value helmets, as well as their sellers? Are those who deal in these artifacts going to go behind the scenes, no public scrutiny such as found on this forum? Are prices going to drop precipitously because of this one case? Who will be taking the lead in moving the collecting community forward? Or, after a period of high indignation, will the hobby settle back into something resembling complacency?

Good question without a good answer. My personal opinion? U.S. helmet collectors will move forward, albeit, much more carefully.

Fakes and fakers were around long before the advent of the internet(yes, there was life before 1990) and we culled the fakes out back then too. The Internet has given us the opportunity to catch things faster and to find previously posted photo's... once it is on the net, it is there forever.

Downside? We can become our own worst enemies. We could get to the place where we call everything fake and it will conceivably stop members from posting their helmets. Think about it, who wants their legit helmet scarred forever on the net because a few guys with knee jerk responses or cynical spirits questioned it?

So, we are back to where we were before this occurred. It still comes down to education, education and more education. I've said it so many times before and it is my signature line at the bottom of every post: There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education.

Side question,

Has anyone heard from member "Cadet Duck"? That's Shelton's son who bumped the original thread, hasn't logged in since August 4th, coincidentally the same time jkash left.

You'd think he'd be slightly concerned that his father's helmet got mistreated like this...

Maybe he was satisfied with the answer he got and thought no more if it? There are many people on this forum who go offline for a while for no reason. I dont think it was JKASH who made the account as that would be a stupid move on his part and he definitely isn't stupid.

I agree that life will go on. I'd say the folks that got hosed will be MUCH more careful, as we all should be. And trust me, I've been there, so not criticizing. I actually considered my bad camo buy (years ago) since this thread began, and it has very similar hallmarks. The variation of the scam in my case was a family-direct buy, where they showed me period pics of the family member in theater, and some other supporting ephemera. Then proceeded to sell me a well-done 70s Pakistani repro. Basically, I just did stuff out of order, out of fear of losing out - and ignored my intuition that was telling me it was bad. As a member commented early in this topic, I was seeing what I wanted, not what was there. And, I bought it first, THEN posted it for opinions. Had I posted pics first, I'd have saved myself a lot of trouble.

The change that I'm really hoping for - as I said before - is that we start weighing the merits of the individual pieces agnostic of the source. There are examples across the field of militaria, where items get rubber-stamp review based on who is selling them. Seems that book-writing and volumes of transactions dull our senses.

My commitment to myself, and to my fellow collectors, is that I'm going to treat every piece I see like an unknown person handed it to me, who doesn't know any history on it. Moreover, I'm going to try and not let time make me less vigilant. Not because of the money, as much as the implications it has on our hobby - which is really us serving as temporary caretakers of these tokens of service and sacrifice. In kind, we have to reward people asking questions, versus marginalizing or shaming them because the poster is 'inner circle'. As I see it, there is one circle, and we're all in it. Frauds and con artists are trying to pump fakes into our circle, and it's our job to 'protect this house'.

If folks don't want to post their stuff out of fear it will be questioned, then that's their prerogative I suppose.

Maybe we need to collectively create the 'Ten Commandments' of militaria buying. Sorta like a pre-flight safety check.

Good question without a good answer. My personal opinion? U.S. helmet collectors will move forward, albeit, much more carefully.

Fakes and fakers were around long before the advent of the internet(yes, there was life before 1990) and we culled the fakes out back then too. The Internet has given us the opportunity to catch things faster and to find previously posted photo's... once it is on the net, it is there forever.

Downside? We can become our own worst enemies. We could get to the place where we call everything fake and it will conceivably stop members from posting their helmets. Think about it, who wants their legit helmet scarred forever on the net because a few guys with knee jerk responses or cynical spirits questioned it?

So, we are back to where we were before this occurred. It still comes down to education, education and more education. I've said it so many times before and it is my signature line at the bottom of every post: There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education.

If people have purchased helmets from him that turn out to be fake those people deserve a refund.

We are not talking a hundred dollars here , some have spent thousands ! And deserve there money back

Please don't speak for me, Dean.

From my point of view, the only things we deserve are the helmets we bought. Jkash was a fraud, and there will always be frauds. We knew there are A LOT of frauds in WWII helmet collecting. Heck, there are threads every month talking about new fakes entering the market. But we still made our decisions.

At a certain point it is healthy to say: "Yes, I was burned. But it was my fault for falling victim to wishful thinking." Personally, by owning my choices I know I will not be duped like this again.

In terms of how most collectors will move on: We will keep collecting. I love this hobby. I love this history. I love the artefacts and the stories they tell. No fraud can dissuade me from what I have been doing since 7 years old. I was taken in by Jkash because I so desperately desire to be a part of this community; he knew that and played me. He also played lots of people. He is gone. I am here to stay.

We have to learn from our mistakes rather than find blame to move beyond this.

My closure of this ordeal has come with over 30,000 views, and over 500 comments, and the assured knowledge that "Jamie Kashetta" will never sell another helmet again. If he tries to come back under another name, we know his style. We have documented many of his fake lids st that they cannot be sold as real again. These are all great positives from this huge negative. - Andy (R67)

post-153625-0-22184200-1502599358.jpg

At a certain point it is healthy to say: "Yes, I was burned. But it was my fault for falling victim to wishful thinking." Personally, by owning my choices I know I will not be duped like this again.

So will you be pursuing a refund, and/or suing the guy?

So will you be pursuing a refund, and/or suing the guy?

Indeed. At this point it seems to me that Jkash has decided to break like the wind, and is laughing his way to the UK with everyone's money. The message IMHO is that you can defraud people as long as it is in a militaria collecting hobby. At least there appears some contrition among those who ridiculed those who questioned this clod's artwork. The "hobby bigshots" who shut up those who silenced the original critics of the Champagne Rune are still arrogant and unrepentant when in earlier times they would be due some tar and feathers.

I would recommend anyone who got ripped off to consult an attorney in their jurisdiction. Getting a judgment against him if he doesn't answer may be easier and more cost efficient than you think. Yes, you still must collect, but a judgment does have consequences. So do criminal charges. All my opinions and friendly thoughts on the matter.

Patchcollector

As was stated earlier,sometimes litigation by an individual can end up costing more than the item itself.However,if a group of people were to collectively band together then the financial burden of the legal costs would be more reasonable.

Something to keep in mind down the road..

Patchcollector

I forgot to add;if a judgement is reached against someone,then Attorney fees incurred by the person(s) that won the case can in most cases also be collected.

A member who is a lawyer by profession offered this up to the interested...

§ 3922. Theft by deception.

(a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of theft if he

intentionally obtains or withholds property of another by

deception. A person deceives if he intentionally:

(1) creates or reinforces a false impression, including

false impressions as to law, value, intention or other state

of mind;

(2) . . . . . . . . .; or

(3) fails to correct a false impression which the

deceiver previously created or reinforced, or which the

deceiver knows to be influencing another to whom he stands in

a fiduciary or confidential relationship.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Might want to act soon before he moves and complicates the whole legal matter.

I hope that he can be brought to justice, both for those scammed by him and to deter others from making fakes.

Yes, and for what, money? So much more to life than that. All the respect he garnered just tossed away. What good does it do him in the end. I just don't get it...but, what goes around comes around...I hope. I am a big believer in karma...I could never do such a thing...