Fake: M2 of Lt. Joseph Shelton 505th PIR - jkash

jkash23686

People are concerned with the chain of custody here because there is serious doubt amongst some as to the authenticity of even the base M-2 helmet. The helmet was examined prior to being camo painted, and some at that time were concerned that the chinstraps had been replaced. If this is true, then the camo paint is the second time that this helmet has been humped. Are the markings themselves original? That's whats going on here.

Isn't it kind of a given that a M2 with repaired bails would have replaced straps? I wouldn't think cotton and brazing heat would get along very well?

My understanding is/was that the repaired bales and replaced straps was period original on many M2s.

People are concerned with the chain of custody here because there is serious doubt amongst some as to the authenticity of even the base M-2 helmet. The helmet was examined prior to being camo painted, and some at that time were concerned that the chinstraps had been replaced. If this is true, then the camo paint is the second time that this helmet has been humped. Are the markings themselves original? That's whats going on here.

If coming from Holland then there should be huge doubts cast on it.

If coming from Holland then there should be huge doubts cast on it.

Agreed, I've heard some horror stories about helmets coming from Holland.

My knowledge, on this matter, comes from Mr. Kibbler while he owned the helmet and from what I have read on this forum.

From what he told me and from what I read in a previous post, the helmet was bought by the Pa. collector on one of his visits to The Netherlands.

The helmet came from Holland.

Where it came from before that is confusing.

So the helmet was in Holland, sold to a collector from Pa. USA while he was in Holland, and then it was sold to TK, then sold to Gettysburg, then sold to Jkash, then became a gas paint kamo? I thought that Shelton's son said the helmet was picked up by a 1 ID soldier (full name and service no. provided) after it was "lost in the Ardennes".

If I may suggest something that I always do when running down hinky situations: compile a public timeline of the history of this helmet and who owned it when, from "Shelton M2" to Gas Paint Kamo. It would be very helpful to the thread IMHO. At least half of the owners of it are here participating and are reasonable and as outraged by this as anyone else. Filling that timeline in with when it was offered for sale, by whom, when the family came into the picture, etc., may really shed light on this. If anyone is interested.....

Isn't it kind of a given that a M2 with repaired bails would have replaced straps? I wouldn't think cotton and brazing heat would get along very well?

My understanding is/was that the repaired bales and replaced straps was period original on many M2s.

The same helmet with new paint also has new chinstraps that are different from the ones in post number 1 in this thread

To me replaced means postwar replaced. The helmet shell shows quite a bit of wear, while the straps don't. There is paint over the brazing that is chipped and dinged up, yet the straps don't show heavy wear. This smells odd to me.

BTW, what are the chances that the Shelton M2 was humped to match documentation and history of a real paratrooper. Then the family member did a Google search and found the helmet, not knowing it was humped. I've never in my life heard of a GI bringing home someone else's M1 as a souvenir. German helmets, plenty, even ceiling tiles with swastikas, but rarely if ever an M1 and never someone else's M1.

So, has the original owner, Lt.Col. Shelton ID'd it conclusively as his? Or, is it "ID'd" because Shelton's son may have been bamboozled too?

Just my 2 cents on the whole matter.

I think that it would be in everyone's best interest if a new thread was started about all the helmets purchased from this guy. They need to be documented as fakes so others aren't duped. as someone who has purchased a helmet from him and up until recently consider that helmet one of my centerpieces I think this would be for the best. I think a few of them may turn out to be original but this whole situation is a real shame.

Graham

stealthytyler

I think that it would be in everyone's best interest if a new thread was started about all the helmets purchased from this guy. They need to be documented as fakes so others aren't duped. as someone who has purchased a helmet from him and up until recently consider that helmet one of my centerpieces I think this would be for the best. I think a few of them may turn out to be original but this whole situation is a real shame.

Graham

Agree

Graham

That's a great idea. Someone should post in the Real or What section, preferably a mod should post it so that we don't get multiple threads made on the same topic by accident.

You may start a new thread if you like...if multiple threads are started we can merge them.

I'm not at home at the moment but when I get back tomorrow morning I can take pictures and start a new thread in thee real or what section if no one else has yet

Burning Hazard

We're going into too much speculation with Shelton's helmet.

For me the main point of this thread is:

An M2 helmet (whether real or fake beforehand) belonging to "Shelton" came into possession of a VERY knowledgeable airborne member who took the shell and forged it into a $10,000 82nd Airborne camo creation. We have without a doubt concrete evidence, by means of visual comparison, that the shell belonging to "Shelton" is now the 82nd Airborne camo creation while still in the possession of the said member. Any collector knowingly altering a helmet and trying to pass it off as an original (even if careful wording is used) is a pretty serious violation, both forum and reputation wise; we've seen it happen in the past and those members who tried it were penalized. This why we're waiting on jkash to explain himself of what happened, assuming he ever responds.

If we want to know who originally owned Shelton's helmet then I think a new thread would be necessary for that.

Oh I just made a thread in the real or what section. You guys can go there to post pictures of jkash's helmets. I haven't posted any pictures yet because at the moment I can't.

Oh I just made a thread in the real or what section. You guys can go there to post pictures of jkash's helmets. I haven't posted any pictures yet because at the moment I can't.

I've closed that thread, lets keep this discussion in one happy place for now. Thanks!

GeneralCheese

I've closed that thread, lets keep this discussion in one happy place for now. Thanks!

Why did you close the thread when tarbridge specifically said we could have one?

It's a completely different topic, where we can condense images of everything that passed through Jamie's hands.

Why? This thread is about the Shelton helmet. I think it would be appropriate to have a thread to discuss these helmets further because if his helmets are deemed fake that could be a big issue with many collectors. And i am sure many members who bought from him are really questioning the helmets they bough from him. As these are some high end helmets that cost them large amounts of money.

The same helmet with new paint also has new chinstraps that are different from the ones in post number 1 in this thread

Oh my, I missed that. What a shame.

I understand that completely. Maybe when we figure out what jkash is doing exactly then it might reopen?

We can start that thread after we have some closure with this thread.The concern is the new thread will get mired down with the ongoing thread.

I understand that completely. Maybe when we figure out what jkash is doing exactly then it might reopen?

Yeah, that would be better. :)

Also, just a suggestion, statements like: "I'm so glad I don't collect M1 helmets" or "I'm so glad I sold off my collection" add nothing to the conversation. You can say it if you want but, it really annoys most everyone.

Also, just a suggestion, statements like: "I'm so glad I don't collect M1 helmets" or "I'm so glad I sold off my collection" add nothing to the conversation. You can say it if you want but, it really annoys most everyone.

Glad we could clear that up. Anyway, what Burning Hazard recently said sums up what this thread has uncovered so far

It's from one seller in particular. I am sure there are a lot of nice helmets being found there.

Agreed, I've heard some horror stories about helmets coming from Holland.

jbassmaster18

I'm sorry you are annoyed scott. Not my intent, but I am glad I got out of collecting. Not just for this reason, but being debt free and not living paycheck to paycheck is another big bonus. I still think this whole situation is sad and really hurts the hobby.

-J

Patchcollector

I think that it is a good idea to have all that want to,post the helmets that they purchased from JKash within one thread.
I was going to suggest it earlier but didn't feel comfortable doing it because I'm not a helmet collector.
I also agree that it would be better to wait until this current situation runs it's course until that thread begins building.