Fake: M2 of Lt. Joseph Shelton 505th PIR - jkash

jkash23686

Burning Hazard

I've looked at both Shelton's helmet and the 82nd Camo and the scratches on the shell appear to align, I think it's the same shell...

I marked them with arrows:

post-8715-0-87117600-1502121790_thumb.jpg

post-8715-0-32268200-1502121837_thumb.jpg

post-8715-0-26336300-1502121841_thumb.jpg

What are the odds that Jamie acquired two original 2nd Ranger helmets with markings applied in a nearly identical fashion?

In my opinion, Jamie runs a business of selling high dollar helmets. Some might be 100% legitimate, but I see a pattern of taking original condition helmets like the Joseph Shelton M2 and painting it up for the purpose of increasing profit.

EDITED BY TARBRIDGE...PLEASE DO NOT ASSUME ACTIONS AND CONCLUSIONS BEFORE COMPLETION. .

I HAVE RETURNED THE EDITED PORTION IN TOTAL AS WROTE BY URIK...

I'll conclude with I find it rather shameful that a USMF moderator would scold other members for simply calling out the ruining of what was a perfect unrestored example of an M2, and not disclosing the fact that he painted it in the resell of the same helmet

Burning Hazard thanks for that side by side. This is what I was getting at since like I said I am a novice, more knowledgeable collectors looking at the helmet and giving their opinion on the paint. Does anyone believe that the yellow is original? I'm not asking to defend or pile on the seller.

Pete

Burning Hazard

I agree with Tarbridge and the other Admins

Please lets not pile on or make assumptions but examine the evidence of Mr Shelton's helmet and the 82nd Camo painted helmet.

Pat

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I really fail to see how painting over the Lts bar and I leaving out the name increases the value? Also Jkash stated to the vets son that he had sold it but it is still listed for sale on a website he owns.

ArchangelDM

I've looked at both Shelton's helmet and the 82nd Camo and the scratches on the shell appear to align, I think it's the same shell...

I marked them with arrows:

That's pretty concrete evidence of it being the exact same helmet

I really fail to see how painting over the Lts bar and I leaving out the name increases the value? Also Jkash stated to the vets son that he had sold it but it is still listed for sale on a website he owns.

Probably because he never sold it and repainted it. As far as I am concerned this guys a fraud.

Patchcollector

What's odd is that the son of the fathers helmet just showed up out of nowhere.

And expressed no real interest in owning it.I found that part odd.

As other members stated, we should wait to hear what jkash says about this. It doesn't do us much good if we don't hear the other side of the story. We know the helmets in question are the same one, what else needs discussing?

What are the odds that Jamie acquired two original 2nd Ranger helmets with markings applied in a nearly identical fashion?

In my opinion, Jamie runs a business of selling high dollar helmets. Some might be 100% legitimate, but I see a pattern of taking original condition helmets like the Joseph Shelton M2 and painting it up for the purpose of increasing profit.

EDITED BY TARBRIDGE...PLEASE DO NOT ASSUME ACTIONS AND CONCLUSIONS BEFORE COMPLETION. .

I HAVE RETURNED THE EDITED PORTION IN TOTAL AS WROTE BY URIK...

I'll conclude with I find it rather shameful that a USMF moderator would scold other members for simply calling out the ruining of what was a perfect unrestored example of an M2, and not disclosing the fact that he painted it in the resell of the same helmet

I agree with you Urik. Especially with the ranger helmets, it's strange that they're always "out of the woodwork". There are collectors who spend years attempting to find rare helmets, but to find rare helmets which other collectors have never seen is strange to me

ArchangelDM

As other members stated, we should wait to hear what jkash says about this. It doesn't do us much good if we don't hear the other side of the story. We know the helmets in question are the same one, what else needs discussing?

Did you see the original photo of the helmet and the camo para one posted here by a member

The marks on the helmet are identical , I can't see how it's not the same helmet.

Listen I've bought lids from Jamie and spoken to him a few times and if this turns out to be a fake then I'm very very disappointed and will also be putting my lid up for review on the forum that I bought from him.

If one is fake than you cannot guarantee the rest are not

USMC-RECON0321

What's odd is that the son of the fathers helmet just showed up out of nowhere.

And expressed no real interest in owning it.I found that part odd.

I have my doubts as well.

I guess I'm not following on why the doubts of the son of the vet finding his dads helmet by a name search on google, which led him to this thread months after it was originally posted? If anything, that is what brought this helmet back up to current discussion again and led to all this. Just curious why the suspicion of it being the Vets son or not?

I guess I'm not following on why the doubts of the son of the vet finding his dads helmet by a name search on google, which led him to this thread months after it was originally posted? If anything, that is what brought this helmet back up to current discussion again and led to all this. Just curious why the suspicion of it being the Vets son or not?

I agree, how many of you guys get some good stuff from the family of the vet? Even the son said he would rather remember his father for more than just a helmet. I personally don't find it odd. And if it wasn't for him bringing the thread back we probably never would have found out about this helmet.

Did you see the original photo of the helmet and the camo para one posted here by a member

The marks on the helmet are identical , I can't see how it's not the same helmet.

Listen I've bought lids from Jamie and spoken to him a few times and if this turns out to be a fake then I'm very very disappointed and will also be putting my lid up for review on the forum that I bought from him.

If one is fake than you cannot guarantee the rest are not

I think you may have misread my comment. I 100% think that the helmet is the same one, the evidence shows that clearly

Patchcollector

My post stated nothing about me being "suspicious" about the Son.I only stated that IMO I found it odd that he didn't appear interested in owning his Fathers helmet.If it were me I would love to have my Dads helmet.

Who's to say the person posting as the grandson of Joseph Shelton wasn't Jamie himself? It would certainly garner more interest in the helmet, and possibly quicken a sale. Given the latest revelations, I doubt anything till proof is provided.

ArchangelDM

Troy

I find this whole situation odd if I'm honest , really don't know what to think about it all. I trust Jamie and if this turns out to be true then I guess my whole thoughts on collecting M1 helmets and my thoughts on the collecting community will have taken a massive hit.

Hello,

I know nothing about Normandy helmets since my area of interest & collecting is Southern France/Operation Dragoon. I have been lucky enough to have a lot of original helmets from the battlefield in hand and I can tell you that all the 509, 517 and 551 helmets presented by this member were HIGHLY questionable, and I am being very polite using these terms.

I quickly learned the hard way that it is not welcome here to criticize anything coming from a "reputable" member so I never wanted to make a fuss about it.

What scared me the most is that these helmets always received high praises from forum members.

I am not talking about fraud though as I don't know where these helmets came from and if they were sold at some point. If they were, I feel really sorry for the buyers.

"You want to buy a helmet from me and you are not sure if it is legit ? Check my post on USMF with 100% feedback".. and here is where is gets real scary.

I am happy I was finally able to talk about this and I also think it was very fair to reopen the post.

ArchangelDM

I think you may have misread my comment. I 100% think that the helmet is the same one, the evidence shows that clearly

Sorry just read it back to myself , so much happening on this thread

Any time I see a thread go from two to four pages in the span of a couple hours...it's worth checking out (as typically it needs a moderator to intervene...) :)

I don't see an issue with the son and him not wanting his father's helmet. The helmet's a high dollar one and if the son isn't particularly "into" helmets, why mortgage the house for it? Plenty of family members out there appreciate what their father/grandfather (etc.) did but don't feel the need to get a loan to buy back everything.

It would be good to hear from Jamie about the camo job. I'm not a helmet collector, but after reading the thread and looking at the pics, that would concern me too. However, he should be given a chance to reply instead of carted off with conjecture.

Just my opinion...

Cadet Duck has not been active for over 72 hours. Right about when jamie took his trip.

He may be busy, but if he does not chime in soon on the ruining of his dads helmet for profit, I would be very surprised.

It is suspicious.

ArchangelDM

Cadet Duck has not been active for over 72 hours. Right about when jamie took his trip.

He may be busy, but if he does not chime in soon on the ruining of his dads helmet for profit, I would be very surprised.

It is suspicious.

Maybe a mod can email him

?