Fake: M2 of Lt. Joseph Shelton 505th PIR - jkash

jkash23686

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

What the ____? Looks like somebody with no regard for history has totally ruined it to try and raise the price. Ouch, that one hurts.

pararaftanr2

Isn't that the original poster's website, where robinb found the photos and it is currently listed for sale? WT_, indeed?!?!

Unfortunately, jkash23686 may be unable to respond right now as he is in Africa for two weeks. I will be following this thread closely :mellow:

Not to mention the chinstraps look like they may have been replaced? It may just be the lighting, the thickness and "fuzziness" makes it look like repo chinstraps that have been aged

What the?!?! Someone please tell me this isn't happening, not from a reputable forum member like jkash.

Pat

He is NOT reputable any more.

Too bad he can't tell us himself, since they don't have any internet in Africa.

If he is in Africa, I highly doubt he is spending time on the Internet even when available. So, until Jamie can answer for himself, it is unfair to start ripping him apart here. I have got a message into him and I am locking this thread for Admin review. We will also reopen this thread so as to allow Jamie to answer.

I will add this, it is amazing how quickly you all piled on a guy who has never had an issue before but, before he can answer, the bloodletting begins. I hope no one ever calls any of you into question.

This thread has been re-opened as long as the conversation keeps a civil tone.Please have patience until a possible response is made.We will moderate this thread heavily.

ArchangelDM

Is he getting out of collecting ?

I believe so, but I find it hard that he would do something like this. There has to be some explanation, I've bought helmets from him and I don't believe it to be suspect.

To start just let me say I do not collect helmets. This is probably one of the reasons why.

Just so I understand the chain of custody here...jkash bought the helmet from the museum in Gettysburg and the helmet was not painted....now he is selling it and it is painted...I'm not sure what else is really needed to determine what happened here...was the yellow underneath a newer layer of green paint? Doesn't seem like any previous owner mentioned it? Why switch the liner on an original helmet in the eBay auction.

I don't want to sound like I'm piling on and the seller has the right to explain his actions if I am missing something here.

Whoever added the paint to the helmet should be banned from this forum if they are a member.

We don't need people like this in our hobby, and we need to be vigilant in keeping our hobby clean. It's disgusting to see a piece of history treated like this especially when a relative of the veteran has posted earlier in this very thread.

Pete

Patchcollector

I don't collect helmets but it is difficult for me to believe that something this historically important would be deliberately altered in this way.We must assume that there is a logical explanation until all parties have been heard from. I'm looking forward to hearing the "other side of the story".

Until then,I have this question.If this does turn out to be the OP helmet,could the camo paint be removed and the helmet restored to it's original finish?

Jamie has been a member in good standing here for a long time and he enjoys a good reputation. Conjecture about this helmet is pointless until we hear from him. Let us wait until he is in a position to comment.

Bill

To start just let me say I do not collect helmets. This is probably one of the reasons why.

Just so I understand the chain of custody here...jkash bought the helmet from the museum in Gettysburg and the helmet was not painted....now he is selling it and it is painted...I'm not sure what else is really needed to determine what happened here...was the yellow underneath a newer layer of green paint? Doesn't seem like any previous owner mentioned it? Why switch the liner on an original helmet in the eBay auction.

I don't want to sound like I'm piling on and the seller has the right to explain his actions if I am missing something here.

Whoever added the paint to the helmet should be banned from this forum if they are a member.

We don't need people like this in our hobby, and we need to be vigilant in keeping our hobby clean. It's disgusting to see a piece of history treated like this especially when a relative of the veteran has posted earlier in this very thread.

Pete

Well Jamie is a member so....

This is not the first time Jamie has taken an original condition helmet and modified the finish then resold it.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/290129-161st-field-artillery-camo-fb-helmet/

I find most of the helmets listed on his web site and ebay listings questionable. It would appear to me that he takes original condition helmets and adds camouflage or markings to them and then lists them up for sale with a premium price tag.

His listings are, for the most part, uniform in how they are written. They state the "helmet itself" is original and it has "markings/camouflage typical with said unit", but none ever outright say the markings are authentic/original to the shell.

Furthermore, here is an example of some high dollar helmets recently sold by Jamie. This first one was sold to the Gettysburg Museum of History.

post-134255-0-79918000-1502121311_thumb.jpg

If he did in fact get this from the Gettysburg museum, I would believe that Sheltons helmet was a fake to begin with, as the museum has its fair share of fakes in the collection. Wouldn't be the first questionable helmet owned and then sold by Jamie either.