Is My WWI USMC Helmet Authentic?

Grant G.

Hello gentleman,

I purchased this helmet a few months ago and have had some doubts on its authenticity. The white paint appears to have small, sporadic burn spots. I located two scratches that look to have been done with the same tool "hopping" across the painted surface and there is not as much crazing to the paint as I would expect on a nearly 100-year-old helmet. I would love to hear the experts' opinions on the matter and will provide more photos if needed. Thank you!

post-11015-0-29101100-1482006195_thumb.jpg

Schnicklfritz

The star and Indianhead would be representative of the Marine Company in the Composite Regiment, although not exclusively to the Marines. The one on your helmet is completely inconsistent with the originals for the Composite Regiment Marines. That said, I really don't like the paint on the insignia and there is no indication that the EGA has been there for a long time. The helmet itself is an original British made helmet though.

How is the EGA attached? Is the hole punched or drilled?

With the EGA attached so high up on the front of the helmet, it is hidden by the liner and I don't want to go digging around in asbestos to find out.

The star and Indianhead would be representative of the Marine Company in the Composite Regiment, although not exclusively to the Marines. The one on your helmet is completely inconsistent with the originals for the Composite Regiment Marines. That said, I really don't like the paint on the insignia and there is no indication that the EGA has been there for a long time. The helmet itself is an original British made helmet though.

Thank you for your input. Do you know of other examples that resemble mine? Does the fact the the helmet is of British manufacture help or hurt its chances?

Schnicklfritz

Hi Grant, You're welcome. I don't have any Army examples of the Composite Regt helmets. The Marine examples that I have seen are very consistent in the style of Indianhead, star and repaint on the helmet itself and the colors used on painting them. British made helmets were issued to US troops in the AEF on a large scale. Honestly, I hate to say it, but I don't like the insignia. If you look at the first photo in post 9, you can see very well that there are tooling marks on the green where the white was removed. You can also see the tooling marks in the white paint at the top edge of the wear . I can see age/corrosion on the green paint that doesn't follow through into the white paint in the photos. The edges of the white paint are chipped which is consistent with artificial aging. I can see lines in the white paint that are consistent with using something like sandpaper, etc. to wear it down.

Also, there is no indications that the EGA has been on the helmet for a long time. There would be patina, etc. from where the EGA was in contact with the helmet over a long period.

If you look at the first photo in post 9, you can see very well that there are tooling marks on the green where the white was removed. You can also see the tooling marks in the white paint at the top edge of the wear . I can see age/corrosion on the green paint that doesn't follow through into the white paint in the photos. The edges of the white paint are chipped which is consistent with artificial aging. I can see lines in the white paint that are consistent with using something like sandpaper, etc. to wear it down.

I think you might be mistaking that close-up image, for being the edge of the star where it meets the green paint of the rest of the helmet. The image is actually of the headdress, where the blue feathers dissect the white backdrop of the star. The blue paint is actually on top of the white paint, giving the impression of jagged chips in the white paint, but it is actually just a sharp edge caused from painting the blue over the white.

world war I nerd

For comparison ... here are three additional 2nd Division star & Indian head painted helmet insignia: clockwise from upper left, the insignia from the above helmet - an insignia said to be 2nd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment (also with a USMC EGA cap badge above the insignia) - USMC Composite Regiment insignia - & (I think) another USMC Composite Regiment insignia.

In addition to the USMC & Army Composite Regiment Companies culled from the 2nd Division, there were a handful of auxiliary units, such as bakery & laundry companies, etc, attached to the 2nd Division that were also authorized to wear the star & Indian head insignia but without any background shape or color.

post-5143-0-62836400-1482044940_thumb.jpg