WW2 era Gen. Dev Lab MT signal corps patch

ocsfollowme

Go to solution Solved by ocsfollowme,

I have seen several variations of these.

General Developmental Lab? I have spent a good hour googling signals corps in Montana and different variations of what Gen. and Dev means.

Thanks in advance,

post-122868-0-96075700-1481928718.jpg

As I recall they are college labs used for developing different technologies, I think Harvard and MIT worked on Radar It's killing e I can't find it, I have pictures of about 3 of the different patches and can't locate them.

• 6 years later...
  • Solution
ocsfollowme

Signal Corps Ground Signal Service (SCGSS)

http://tothosewhoserved.org/usa/ts/usatss02/chapter08.html

Signal Corps Provides VHF Command Radio for Army Airplanes

The development of airborne radio and of all other airborne electronic equipment was, of course, the concern of the Signal Corps installations, especially the Aircraft Radio Laboratory, which served the Air Forces at Wright Field in Ohio. To the Signal Corps Aircraft Signal Service fell

Page 238

the whole business of developing, procuring, inspecting, storing, issuing, installing, and maintaining those Signal Corps items of radio, radar, communicational and navigational electronic equipment which went into airplanes. SCASS, which had been organized at Wright Field in May 1942,56 proved effective. Until the Army Air Forces took over altogether toward the end of World War II, SCASS performed its task rather well, which was to coordinate the supply and maintenance functions of the Signal Corps with the materiel commands of the Army Air Forces.57 The success of SCASS led General Olmstead to reorganize his Monmouth activities similarly. Combining the General Development Laboratories with the Radar, or Camp Evans, Laboratory, he created in December 1942 the Signal Corps Ground Signal Service (SCGSS) with headquarters at Bradley Beach, New Jersey.58