Military uniforms influence on fashion

Bob Hudson

My Facebook page keeps getting bombarded with Alpha Industries adds, showing a bunch of hip, cool 20 somethings wearing various combinations of surplus or imitation military clothing and accessories. 

This one does not look half bad... other than a US Army Infantry School patch on an otherwise USAF jacket.  

I specially liked the Alpha Industries shoulder patch... no doubt it will show up someday as a rare contractor's patch.

I posted on our Facebook page that I was going to buy one of these and wear it to the next militaria collectors show for all of my friends to admire, but apparently our moderator for the FB page did not see the humor in that!

Alpha 1.jpg

Alpha 2.jpg

One thing that did get a laugh my veteran's Facebook pages was the offering of vintage M65 field jacket liners for a whopping $90 each!

Per their ads, apparently these are "fashionable" when worn on top of another jacket.  

My opinon is there are a lot of cool looking surplus items out there, but this will truly make one look like a dork who does know how to dress!

https://www.alphaindustries.com/pages/fall-winter-21-resupply

Alpha ad.jpg

Alpha liner.jpg

vintageproductions
23 minutes ago, gwb123 said:

One thing that did get a laugh my veteran's Facebook pages was the offering of vintage M65 field jacket liners for a whopping $90 each!

Per their ads, apparently these are "fashionable" when worn on top of another jacket.  

My opinon is there are a lot of cool looking surplus items out there, but this will truly make one look like a dork who does know how to dress!

https://www.alphaindustries.com/pages/fall-winter-21-resupply

Alpha ad.jpg

Alpha liner.jpg

You see these all over South Orange County here in California. Big ladies fashion

1 hour ago, vintageproductions said:

You see these all over South Orange County here in California. Big ladies fashion

I am speechless. 

I don't believe I ever saw one worn in the army without a jacket.  Maybe inside your tent or vehicle if your field jacket had gotten soaked, but not as outdoor wear.

It reminds me of a time my boss, who was a retired Army colonel and I went to an industry event and ran a young woman wearing a modern German dress uniform jacket minus all the insignia except for the collar tabs.  He could not wrap his head around the fact that it was somehow considered "fashion", for myself all I could think was that it was a uniform.

vintageproductions

Some fashionista added buttons to them and sewed the armpits a little more closed.

They get stupid money for them.

I think it was the GAP or Old Navy ( Not that it matters since they are the same company)  that also did a very similar knock-off jacket.

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2022 at 1:03 PM, gwb123 said:

Apparently the serviceman's stencil is part of the fashion appeal. Mean looking, isn't he?

"I'll give you such a pinch!"

15 hours ago, patches said:

Here's another one I'm going to order YEAH Right LOL LOL. Got that Nuke Missile Crewman feel with a Army Tape to it right LOL LOL

phooy.PNG

phonn.PNG

phony.PNG

phonyt.PNG

High Speed, Low Level Flight?  I can see how that could require special clothing.  Yep, you betcha!  And with insignia for three different USAF major commands, they very much want to convey the wearer of this shirt really, really, really was in the Air Force!

• 1 month later...

I love when I find these outlandish gaudy ones, The R on the 5th AF looking patch no doubt for Ralph, and the R and L on the Technician Grade Stripes no doubt Ralph Lauren  wild redesign on that Air Forces Far East patch too LOL LOL. Be the first one on the Forum to get this and wear it to a Militaria Gun Show LOL LOL.

ralph loren.jpg

ralph lorenm 200 bucks.jpg

ralph lorenn.jpg

ralph loreno.jpg

ShibaLegend

Here's one that i scored in the clearance section at walmart. I use it quite frequently whenever i go flea marketing. Seems to be modeled off a M65, although has some features removed like epaulets and buttons on the inside for nylon liner (which kinda stinks since this jacket is a lot less effective at keeping you warm unlike the M65) color is a bit off too. It looks a lot better here but IRL it has a blueish grey color rather than military green. Overall a really nice jacket.

20220408_131240.jpg

20220408_131327.jpg

20220408_131345.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

about half my daily outfit consists of uniform, from my various field shirts and jackets, belt, and boots, depending on the day, might even wear some trousers

USMC_COLLECTOR

I agree. No pants for me on occasion. It does say no "shirt" no "shoes" no service. Never specifies the need for pants.

1 hour ago, dmar836 said:

So, depending on the day, you may not wear any trousers?

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2022 at 7:37 PM, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

I agree. No pants for me on occasion. It does say no "shirt" no "shoes" no service. Never specifies the need for pants.

no, I did not make that very clear, I mean military trousers specifically. Usually just wear fleet farm cargoes personally. also, remember when putting together a military inspired outfit, mix and match eras, shades, and countries so you dont seem to just be wearing a uniform

• 2 months later...

Be a member of the TC ARMY, whatever that's supposed to mean LOL.

Apart from the insignia and all those Manufacturer Tags, it looks like a good copy of a 2nd Pattern Fatigue Shirt, without the Manufacturer tags in it, one might be inclined to say it is a period Army-Navy Store type.

fashion.PNG

fashion 2.PNG

2 hours ago, patches said:

Be a member of the TC ARMY, whatever that's supposed to mean LOL.

Apart from the insignia and all those Manufacturer Tags, it looks like a good copy of a 2nd Pattern Fatigue Shirt, without the Manufacturer tags in it, one might be inclined to say it is a period Army-Navy Store type.

fashion.PNG

fashion 2.PNG

I know this one! 

it's from my country, Indonesia (not affiliated with me and I'm 100% against them).

I don't mind if they only make a reproduction. I definitely will buy and wear it daily.

But the 2nd armored division patch is going too far IMO.

It's clearly faked instead of "inspired".

and yeah, they are ridiculous.