Military uniforms influence on fashion

Bob Hudson

I would of loved t see a new-ish member get a hold of a loose example of this RL rate and post it as an unknown, chances are even the more experienced Rate guys would of paused a bit and figure what it was, maybe even thing for a bit that it is a heretofore undocumented rate :lol:

With list price of $1,400 of so for the coat, that would be one expensive rating to obtain!

In the 20/20 hindsight department, that particular CPO white coat in a poly/cotton mix, by Seafarer, was about $20.00 back in 1974. I don't recall what the Navy Exchange cost was..

With list price of $1,400 of so for the coat, that would be one expensive rating to obtain!

:lol: Thats crazy that price. proves that any person that buys that is as dumb as a stump :lol:

• 3 months later...

This was definitely NOT a thrift store find. Target is about as sophisticated as my clothes shopping gets. But I was dragged along kicking and screaming to a high-end mall while out and about with visiting In-laws this weekend. I spotted this thing at Polo Ralph Lauren. I don't remember the price but considering everything else in the store, I doubt if it would have been less than $100 at the least.

post-2687-0-71687600-1551298007.jpg

Mikie

Vietnam tiger stripe and USMC frogskin are a popular design pattern now. One of my friends has some tiger stripe Vans shoes, I saw some tiger stripe boxers at American Eagle too.

• 1 month later...

I'm not surprised people turn to surplus stores for fashion ideas. You can find great stuff for amazing prices. I turned a USN SDB jacket into a Starfleet uniform for a convention. To keep it from being mistaken as an ACTUAL uniform, I replaced the rank stripes with a division color, added shoulderboard loops and handmade shoulderboards. The jacket cost me about $20. 9mm still sitting on a USN officer's dress white uniform that I got for $5 - it was missing some buttons,which were easily replaced. I'm still not sure what I want to do with it.

• 6 months later...

Here is one of my favorite fashion statements. The A2 Jacket. Here is a picture I found on the net of a good looking jacket. Great piece of wardrobe.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-07873000-1573853313.jpeg

Help requested from you New Yorkers or frequent visitors who go on the hunt for surplus to the Big Apple, OK , there was a store on Broadway just past Houston Street in SoHo in the 90s as one heads downtown, south of Houston, the first block south of Houston on the right hand side as one heads downtown to Spring and Canal, it was an "Aviation" orientated store, sold a load of fashion stuff copycatted from aviation things, jackets jump suits and Shades and stuff, expensive stuff, they had on display quite a bit of Pilot Helmets that weren't for sale, and I seem to recall, Model Airplanes on display too, not for sale, there was a Cockpit of some kind too in the place (C-47???)

I'm simply drawing a major blank on it's name, not even sure if it still there, that's how long haven't been around the city from Queens.

Yep that was it, they moved, was at first 595 Bway.

Forgot about that Fuselage they had in there LOL. But anyway, this place only jogged my memory because of the posts of the high end copy's of military stuff, and this place at it's new location still has these items.

https://www.cockpitusa.com/blog/tag/avirex/

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a new instance of not only military influence on civilian clothing, but deliberate cloning of USN deck jackets for the civilian market. You almost think you are buying the real thing.

The link: https://www.newnin.com/products/spg0gem9915?_pos=1&_sid=350567cd8&_ss=r&fbclid=IwAR11sWDDfTuTyNPyw7Rxi40LyQjsYk4HVdpzlfEUPBmy5vpMubpN4bpj_io

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's another, a "Fatigue Shirt" I guess Vietnam, don't know the price, but we imagine it's way more than a Legit with Name Tape patched up 3rd Pattern actually worn in country.

fashion 5.PNG

fashion 1.PNG

fashion 3.PNG

fashion 2.PNG

fashion 4.PNG