M1 Carbine serial #

Tudorp

I have a question on one of my recent acquisitions. I just picked up a few weeks ago, another Winchester M1 Carbine. I think it is an early one, but unsure. The serial # is weird, and I think is missing the first digit in the serial. As I read, Winchester serial numbers started in the 7 digits, but this Winchester is only a 6 digit serial #. Most all the stampings are light strikes, as is the "Winchester Trademark", but it is there and can be identified as Winchester. The name is under the rear sight as many are (I removed the rear sight to confirm). On the serial #, it looks like and aligned as though there is a space for another digit in the beginning of it, but there is no digit there. I am wondering if maybe that first digit was a light strike, and just not legible, OR could this be a 6 digit serial which I think would put this rifle early, in the 1942 time frame? Anyone know of any 6 digit Winchesters? Or could this just be a very light strike on that first digit and it is missing? I am interested in any input. I have another Winchester M1 Carbine, but it is a 7 digit serial putting in in 1944.

post-155295-0-35328200-1481900442.jpg

if you look at your picture, I can see some kind of strike to the left of the 5. It looks like a partial strike. However, it appears to be a 4 or something like that and that would most likely fall outside of the WRA serial range I believe ... without using a reference... I.e I don't believe WRA made carbines in the 4.5M range... I think I see 585XXX ... after a mystery number.. not much help..but it appears that it is not a 6 digit number.

I agree that odds are it is not a 6 digit #. I think maybe a "1" in that first position, but it is not clear at all. I can't remember, I'd have to look up the "4" possibility. With the lining up of the number, there is a space there for a 1st digit, just not clear, or a VERY light strike of something. Winchester did have serials 6-10, but those were sent for testing, and I would assume worth a buttload, but other than that, their serials started at 1M which would not have any 6 digit serials.

Who was the maker of the barrel? There might be some other markings on the receiver [proofs etc.] thet might give a hint as to the manufacture. If a 1 preceded the first 5 it would fall in the Quality Hardware serial number range. A six digit see.# would put in the Inland range of numbers. Hope this helps.

Chuck

The receiver is Winchester. The "Winchester Trademark" stampings can not be seen due to being under the rear sight, but I removed the rear sight to reveal the Winchester stamping. The only M1 Carbines that Winchester made that was under 1,000,000 serial number was the original #6-10 that they sent it for testing. I'm pretty sure it is just missing the 1st digit due to a very light strike.

There were a total of 5 blocks of receivers granted to Winchester for the manufacturing of the M1 Carbine during WWII

The 1st block begun at 1000000 and ended at 1349999 sept 1942 to feb 1944

The 2nd block begun at 4075000 and ended at 4075009 Feb 44 (10 carbines )

The 3rd block started at 5549922 and ended at 5834618 Feb 44 to Nov 44

The 4th Block started ar 7234884 and ended at 7260660 Jan 45 to Sept 45

Your Carbine cannot be a 1.595.xxx since this very serial number is a QUALITY HARDWARE one made between Feb 43 & May 43

The only 2 possibilities are therefore:

5595XXX or 7595XXX

Remark/ WINCHESTER only used their own made barrels which were marked with a single "W" or 'WP" and were NEVER dated

A total of 858059 Winchester Carbines were made during the period of Sept 42 to Sept 45