CWU-106/P new USAF flight jacket

phantomfixer

I saw this new era flight jacket being worn at the Dover AFB commissary...goretex lined from what I have read on the net...and the shell is more cloth than nomex/meta-aramid.... I grabbed this pick off the web from worthpoint...I think...

any one come across one yet?

not a fan of the cuff or lack of....and wonder if the 45/P will become obsolete...

post-155518-0-87715400-1481896141.jpg

Before I retired in 2012, I saw a guy wearing one. He was a new dude, so I imagine he got it from his last unit. I still don't think anyone was issued with them in my old squadron; but then again, we're ANG.

TreasureHunter

I found this one at my local thrift store. Paid $10, sold for $150. Its marked outershell and made by Propper, does not come with a liner. Very stiff and canvas like material. Came out with a bunch of US Navy Captain uniforms and his G1 from 2012.

7c44403c4f194775698be79642bd37c4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I've seen these floating around for a number of years now -- in both sage and tan. There seem to be some photos showing these in use by USN(USMC?) aircrew but (IMO) not on a large enough scale to suggest these have replaced the CWU-36/45.

Also, from the examples frequently for sale on eBay, the labels seem to be devoid of the usual NSN/SPO contract info. Most just have the Propper-brand product number. IIRC, these were worn with a nomex/fleece liner underneath for colder weather.

Is the SPO system still used (presuming yes) and, if so, why do these items have no NSN (despite there being NSNs assigned for the various sizes and accompanying trousers) on the labels?

It could just be a label/format change or, alternatively, these are unit-purchases and not something intended for widespread issue? The nearest example I can think of is the USAF version of the two-piece flight suit (Tactical Flight Duty Uniform). All made by Creative Apparel and identical to the Army's two-piece flight suit but in USAF digi-tiger. They don't have NSNs, either.

On the below label, the line "N00421-04-D-0092" is a Navy contract number. On jackets for sale, this line is often inked-out -- not sure why? You'll also see the label with the contract number omitted. Possibly jackets made for USN have this contract and those for USAF do not?

I don't have one of these jackets but have yet to see one with a label indicating CWU-106. Possibly these is a second label somewhere that hasn't been posted yet??

Us-Navy-Usn-Usgi-Cwu-106-p-Green-Nomex-G

usaf-usmc-propper-int-cwu-106p-mcps-gore

These jackets are part of the USN's Multi Climate Protective System -- consisting of a Goretex jacket and trousers; Polartec jacket and vest; Polartec stretch shirt, overalls, and pants; Polartec face mask.

HR 2638 (from September 2008) secures funding of $2.0M for 1, 172 sets of MCPS. The language states the system was developed and introduced in 2004.

MCPS is specifically mentioned in Congressional Record in 2004, 2005, and 2008. I've been unable to locate anything more recent.

So, we have a design 10+ years old and not one single example with a label containing an NSN, official nomenclature, etc. Also, many jackets for sale via military surplus stores or via Propper combined with small numbers seen in actual military use.

No doubt these were issued and used by at least some members of the USN/USMC. Just seems odd that they're so sporadically seen despite being around for a decade.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ascxLrgnlUkC&pg=PA21974&lpg=PA21974&dq=multi+climate+protection+system+Congressional&source=bl&ots=pFkPnUtocM&sig=YNeF1-n91l_QhEQM1KHoHXAlthg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0jJHckIDRAhUBTCYKHZ-xDwYQ6AEIIjAC#v=onepage&q=multi%20climate%20protection%20system%20Congressional&f=false

So, we have a design 10+ years old and not one single example with a label containing an NSN, official nomenclature, etc. Also, many jackets for sale via military surplus stores or via Propper combined with small numbers seen in actual military use.

Ive seen them with CWU-106 on the labels. Found one on ebay which also has a NSN listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USMC-USAF-Cold-Weather-Goretex-Outershell-Uniform-Jacket-CWU-106-P-Large-Reg-/142213477949?hash=item211c95763d:g:~QUAAOSwnHZYUxI9

My buddy that flys USAF CSAR was issued the tan set of MCPS stuff. Not sure what the labels said on his but I saw the jacket and trousers in his gear locker at Nellis in 2013.

No doubt these were issued and used by at least some members of the USN/USMC. Just seems odd that they're so sporadically seen despite being around for a decade.

I have only seen the one locally here at DAFB....They look to be practical in the world of heavy aircraft, were time is spent on the ground outside, inspecting etc...maybe not so much in the fighter world?

Thanks for the link! That's literally the first picture I've seen showing the actual CWU desgination. GS-07F-0228M is a Department of Homeland Security Contract number for a USCG order -- a 4-year contract which began in Dec 2007. post-65562-0-05062100-1482602973_thumb.jpg