O-6 Strategic Air Command Wing Commander's Vehicle Placard "Liberated"

Lawdog

Just picked this up today. This SAC Wing Commander's vehicle placard was swiped from its staff car mount by two Captains while it was parked in front of the O Club at CCK Airbase in Taiwan in Sept 1970. Written on ink on the reverse...

"Stolen September 1970 from SAC Wing Cdr car in front of Officers Club Ching Chuan Kang (CCK) Air Base, Taichung,Taiwan R.O.C by Capt's R. Sule & R. B. Boulon 1970."

Posted Image

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

​I've never seen a car placard like that before, only the blue background with silver eagle(no colors).Looks more like something thing for a door are wall. I can't imagine a Colonel having something that has, SAC COMMANDER. Maybe WING, GROUP, or SQUADRON COMMANDER. Plus I can't imagine officers putting their names on the back saying it was stolen, it is Government property.Still a cool item.

​I can't imagine a Colonel having something that has, SAC COMMANDER. Maybe WING, GROUP, or SQUADRON COMMANDER. Plus I can't imagine officers putting their names on the back saying it was stolen, it is Government property.Still a cool item.

I can imagine both. I've seen unit guidons stolen and framed in other unit's orderly rooms and all kinds of stuff like that.

Heck, I used 2 links of Bradley tracks for a doorstop to my office and everyone knew I walked off with them from the field. Nobody cared. Plenty of people laughed when they saw them the first time.

Especially the mid-'Nam era?

Yep, could see that easily happening.

I can imagine both. I've seen unit guidons stolen and framed in other unit's orderly rooms and all kinds of stuff like that.

Heck, I used 2 links of Bradley tracks for a doorstop to my office and everyone knew I walked off with them from the field. Nobody cared. Plenty of people laughed when they saw them the first time.

Especially the mid-'Nam era?

Yep, could see that easily happening.

My thoughts exactly...Im certain this item was framed and then autographed by the two Captains. There's no doubt as to its authenticity.

My thoughts exactly...Im certain this item was framed and then autographed by the two Captains. There's no doubt as to its authenticity.

​I never said it wasn't authentic.I was in durn a different time.I know pilots are crazy.I was thinking a normal officer, admin or something like that, stealing and putting their names on it.I never saw a lot of O-6's with a sense of humor. I would love to see a pic with something like this on a car.

• 3 weeks later...

Officers club? Drunken pilots? Oh hell yeah, I could see it.

My only question would be about the wooden frame. I'm thinking maybe they put the plate into a wooden frame in order to display it? Or is there some indication the wood frame was part of the plate?