WWI 17th Aero Pilot's Tunic

mammut08

Hi All,

I thought I might share a piece currently in my possession. The photos below show Leonard Desson's WWI USAS tunic. Desson was one of the Oxford Cadets who trained and flew first with the RFC. Desson was assigned to RFC 209 Squadron before transferring the US Air Service. While with the 17th Aero, he flew Camels 7272 and 751. The unit history indicates that he claimed an unconfirmed kill on 9/24/2018, when he forced down a Fokker biplane (likely a DVII) after unloading several rounds into its cockpit.

post-160270-0-18334800-1481737510.jpg

Thanks Dave! Its the only US tunic I have seen with RFC wings as well as the usual USAS item. I have several more items that I will post for show and tell over then next few days.

Best,

Dave

Nice looking uniform.

Hate to be a fun hater but its a bit odd the lable in the jacket from the tailor is really worn but the sewn in name tag looks fresh?

I fully get where you are coming from, and have noted this myself, but if you look at the first picture you will see that the name tag is hidden under the inner collar lining and protected from abrasion etc. Another reason the tag looks fresh is due to white balance/brightness setting of the photo. When I get a chance I'll re-photograph the tag and you can tell me what you think. The tunic comes from the Bill Dion collection which as I understand it, was sold off several years ago. From the same source, came the tunics of Dudley Manchester and George Turnure, both connected to the LFC and the former was fully provenanced with a letter from Manchester as well as a raft of paper documents and an audio tape. I have no issues with provenance, but of course your mileage may vary.

Best,

Dave