Unknown Patch - Military? K9? Labor Service?

Proud Kraut

I just received this patch without any further description. It seems to be postwar German made. The base design reminds me of course on the 5th Infantry Division's patch. A similar looking (reversed) dog's head is part of the GB Sussex Military District insignia but it does not look like other postwar British patches I have seen. Is it military at all? Could this be a U.S. Labor Service unit patch? Any help is highly appreciated!

UID 161214.jpg

Thanks very much, Eric! A patch design influenced by these Sussex home guard patches? That could very well be. Although the diamond base design and the postwar German manufacture make me believe that this is not a British insignia. Has anybody seen other variants of this insignia?

How big is it? It almost looks like a French patch with the diamond shape.

-Ski

It measures 8,5 x 5,5 cm. You're right, Ski. Many French patches are diamond shaped. I haven't thought of this.

Never seen anything like that for a French army unit...(but I'm far from having seen it all).Unlikely french in my opinion.

Thanks very much for your input!

Maybe we are getting closer to an ID. I asked the seller for further infos regarding the patch. Today I received the answer that the former wearer of the patch served in the 1950's and 60's for the US Forces and later for the Bundeswehr as a guard/dog handler in Neubiberg, an Air Base south of Munich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neubiberg_Air_Base

The Neubiberg wiki article mentiones a 7101st Support Group: "...The 7101st Support Group was organized to manage Neubiberg until it was transferred to the German Air Force..." Sounds like Labor Service to me.

The diomond insignia design could be influenced by the 5th InfDiv patch's design then since the 5th ID was garrisoned in Munich and Augsburg in the 1950's but that's wild guessing. Has anybody more infos of the 7101st Support Group? Would be great to solve this riddle completely.

• 5 years later...
Dietgitsson

Hey everyone,

I came across this topic while looking for Information about the German Labor Service in Germany, since my Grandpops was a member of it and I started to look into his way from a Whermacht Gebirgsjäger to be a civilian employee in the Bundeswehr.

So I want to let you @Proud Kraut know that there has been a LS Unit in Neubiberg, it was the 7319th Labor Service Unit (Guard) upper command was 7332d Labor Service Group (USAFE Support), HQ Twelfth Air Fiorce.

Proud Kraut

Hello Dietgitsson & welcome to the USMF!

What a nice surprise. I hadn´t expect to get an ID of this patch but obviously I was wrong. Thanks so much for this hint. I checked Siegbert Mann´s booklet (one of the few LS / CS sources I do have) but unfortunately he didn´t registered this unit. Will try to find out more with the unit´s number you have posted. Great info, thanks again!