Medal Collectors and Militaria Collectors...we have a fight on our hands.

tarbridge

Did I read correctly....he has hundreds PHs stored away that are not returnable? Sounds like he is guilty of the same thing he accuses others of doing. Typical hypocrite!

I looked at Major Fike's website. The website, which is very well done, seems to be a platform extolling the life and virtues of Major Fike. The purple Heart crusade seems to take a backseat to Fike promoting himself. My guess is that he will soon be running for Congress.

Dick

MottTheHoople

Did I read correctly....he has hundreds PHs stored away that are not returnable? Sounds like he is guilty of the same thing he accuses others of doing. Typical hypocrite!

Yes, his site says he has 100's in storage!

I looked at Major Fike's website. The website, which is very well done, seems to be a platform extolling the life and virtues of Major Fike. The purple Heart crusade seems to take a backseat to Fike promoting himself. My guess is that he will soon be running for Congress.

Dick

That was the exact impression that I got when I first looked at his site. He has a rather high opinion of himself for sure and why are these hundreds of hearts not given to a museum or VFW etc if he so truly believes that is where they belong if not with the families? Typical of someone who wants to tell others how to live and what they can and can't own.

Not to be the devils advocate here but here is where some of the WWII Navy Purple hearts KIA hearts end up. I do not believe he has any other outlet for other branches that I have seen. I have never been here to see if they are on display or in storage. Of course each donation ends up in some kind of headlines.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/homeless-purple-heart-medals-get-texas-museum-home/article/feed/2093686/comments

Dick

Thousand+ percent agree

Dick...my thoughts exactly.Seems like a lot of self promotion and a stepping stone to become an elected official

From the article posted above--

"For some families, it brings closure to their lives 60 or 70 years later," said Fike, who received a Purple Heart of his own for wounds he suffered in a rocket attack Sept. 11, 2010, while serving in Afghanistan.
"I get it, I collect antiques," he said. "But for me, this is the one item I just can't see anyone keeping for themself."

I'm not sure what he "gets", but he should have another look at the Constitution that PH recipients fought to defend. That includes the Bill of Rights that protects private property from government taking without due process. Not to mention that if the media ever aired an honest debate with the many valid points people have raised about collectors' preservation of these historical personal property items, many that would otherwise be discarded, the fallacy of his crusade would be exposed.

I have little doubt that a legal challenge based on an unjust taking of personal property and a violation of civil liberties, if it went all the way to an originalist, majority SCOTUS as we will have within a few years, would overturn this proposed law that absolutely is a taking of personal property without due process or compensation by the government and starts down a really dangerous, slippery slope as others here have said.

I'll refrain from comment about what he "just can't see" as far as others' property rights. But It certainly seems like he's building his political profile on the backs of other people's rights with an eye to bigger things. Maybe Bernie Sanders Vermont senate seat when he retires? Scary prospect.

I have had a personal bad experience with then Captain Fike. My Cousin, Rolly Gerych was in HQ Co 172nd Inf Regt in WWII. He was KIA in the Philippines in 45 and there are no direct descendants from which to gather info on him. I became interested in him as I have a V-mail he sent to my Grandfather as well as some photos. Where it got tricky for me was that I have two WWII relatives named Rolly Gerych, the KIA Cousin and a Great Uncle that survived. When my Grandfather was alive he gave me the V-mail letters and a camera from his Brother (my Great Uncle). A couple of years ago during a move I got out the letters and noticed that the units were different and that one was an ETO unit while the other was a PTO unit. Since my Grandfather had passed, I had to research this discrepancy myself and through my research and talks with my Dad I learned of the second "Rolly". Still, my Father and my Uncles did not know how Rolly was killed, all they remembered was the notification and his photo at my Great Grandmothers...

I set out to find out the details of his death and began looking into the unit history. The 172nd was part of the Vermont National Guard, so being retired military, I reached out to their HQ for assistance with this issue. I was immediately directed to.....wait for it.....yep, Capt Zach Fike! I was told what a great researcher he was and how he would contact me and get me what I needed. Well, to be fair, he did contact me and told me there was no info and he that he couldn't get any. I asked him to perhaps point me in the right direction and he declined. He didn't know I was a collector and the topic of the Purple Heart did come up in our brief conversation. Fike never put forth the idea of contacting NARA, doing an SF-180, hiring a researcher etc... Basically he did nothing.

I think it took Mark Sanders a week to get me what I needed from NARA... I think Fike thrives on singling out those medals that will get him maximum media attention. He takes donated money and travels the country staying in hotels, eating out and attending high profile functions to return medals. This can be done for free with the family filling out an SF-180 form or by them contacting their member of congress to do the same. No fundraising, no travel, a ceremony presided over by a member of congress or an officer from their home state. I am not sure if my experience with Fike is helpful in any way, but as I said, he didn't live up to the hype on his webpage. I would still maintain that a deeper look into awards claimed by his associates might be in order...... Scott

I have had a personal bad experience with then Captain Fike. My Cousin, Rolly Gerych was in HQ Co 172nd Inf Regt in WWII. He was KIA in the Philippines in 45 and there are no direct descendants from which to gather info on him. I became interested in him as I have a V-mail he sent to my Grandfather as well as some photos. Where it got tricky for me was that I have two WWII relatives named Rolly Gerych, the KIA Cousin and a Great Uncle that survived. When my Grandfather was alive he gave me the V-mail letters and a camera from his Brother (my Great Uncle). A couple of years ago during a move I got out the letters and noticed that the units were different and that one was an ETO unit while the other was a PTO unit. Since my Grandfather had passed, I had to research this discrepancy myself and through my research and talks with my Dad I learned of the second "Rolly". Still, my Father and my Uncles did not know how Rolly was killed, all they remembered was the notification and his photo at my Great Grandmothers...

I set out to find out the details of his death and began looking into the unit history. The 172nd was part of the Vermont National Guard, so being retired military, I reached out to their HQ for assistance with this issue. I was immediately directed to.....wait for it.....yep, Capt Zach Fike! I was told what a great researcher he was and how he would contact me and get me what I needed. Well, to be fair, he did contact me and told me there was no info and he that he couldn't get any. I asked him to perhaps point me in the right direction and he declined. He didn't know I was a collector and the topic of the Purple Heart did come up in our brief conversation. Fike never put forth the idea of contacting NARA, doing an SF-180, hiring a researcher etc... Basically he did nothing.

I think it took Mark Sanders a week to get me what I needed from NARA... I think Fike thrives on singling out those medals that will get him maximum media attention. He takes donated money and travels the country staying in hotels, eating out and attending high profile functions to return medals. This can be done for free with the family filling out an SF-180 form or by them contacting their member of congress to do the same. No fundraising, no travel, a ceremony presided over by a member of congress or an officer from their home state. I am not sure if my experience with Fike is helpful in any way, but as I said, he didn't live up to the hype on his webpage. I would still maintain that a deeper look into awards claimed by his associates might be in order...... Scott

Yes.This fits what we are learning about Fike.It is all him...

I find this interesting, from the American War Library. If I find a PH (or any military item) in the trash the expectation is that I will send it to the Secretary of Defense? I have never heard of the American War Library.

http://www.americanwarlibrary.com/theheart.htm

1. If I find a PH medal that medal now belongs to me.

Not true. Lost medals (or any other military item) remains the permanent property of the United States government. Found items should be mailed along with a letter identifying the finder and the location where the item was found to the following address:

The Secretary of Defense
    Room 3E880
    The Pentagon
    Washington DC 20301

2. If I find a PH medal it's okay for me to look for the owner.

Not true. Found items should be mailed with a report to the address above.

3. If I buy a PH medal that once belonged to a veteran I can ask the veteran or his family to compensate me for the money I spent when I return the medal to them.

No. United States military medals hold an exalted place in our society. The military recipient of that medal gave part of him or herself. A good citizen should feel patriotic in restoring a lost item to a recipient. Whenever you see a pre-owned military medal being sold you should ask the seller to please return the medal to the Secretary of Defense at the address listed above.

From the American Legion. http://www.burnpit.us/comment/18434

So, if the article is correct, vets and their families would be exempt from the law (according to Cook). Who exactly would they sell the medals to if it would be illegal for anyone else to buy them?

The bill would not affect the sales of veterans selling their own medals, or their families selling one that they inherit, according to Cook.

So, if the article is correct, vets and their families would be exempt from the law (according to Cook). Who exactly would they sell the medals to if it would be illegal for anyone else to buy them?

The bill would not affect the sales of veterans selling their own medals, or their families selling one that they inherit, according to Cook.

Wow...it gets more stupid as things are uncovered. There is not a provision in the bill to cover that.If so, if you go back far enough...we are all kin.

My question...in this one Crook...says we are con artists...which level would very worse...evil profiteers or con artists.

No. United States military medals hold an exalted place in our society. The military recipient of that medal gave part of him or herself. A good citizen should feel patriotic in restoring a lost item to a recipient.

Wow...talk about creepy. I spent years of my life living in a place that had overcome the whole "good citizen" and "patriotism" through their support of the state and its mechanisms.

Thankfully, we live somewhere where we can have private property and our own rights and interests...for now, at least.

12-23-2016 7-36-01 AM.jpg

This is the one that they ambushed Scott...the press edited this article to slant us in a bad light...

Do you have both articles so we can see how it was edited?

That exemption, if it does exist, then makes the entire law void from a practical matter. If they can legally sell it then you or I can buy it. Typical nonsense from yet another idiot politician.

This needs to be turned over to the ACLU for review by a property rights attorney and very soon.

I wouldn't count on the politicians, look what happened with the MoH. They got their foot in the door and no one noticed.

W

Do you have both articles so we can see how it was edited?

They did not include anything that would show collectors and dealers in a positive nature.They left out anything that would highlight our position. Plain and simple...a ambush...with no recourse...said it was a literary decision.

I don't save or collect newspaper articles...call Scott...he can fill in the details as it was much deeper than.I posted.

That exemption, if it does exist, then makes the entire law void from a practical matter. If they can legally sell it then you or I can buy it. Typical nonsense from yet another idiot politician.

My guess is that he is referring to selective interpretation/application of the law. In other words, prosecution will be discretionary. There is no exemption language in the bill but vets/vets relatives will not be prosecuted. Not sure how this is even legal.

Wow...talk about creepy. I spent years of my life living in a place that had overcome the whole "good citizen" and "patriotism" through their support of the state and its mechanisms.

Thankfully, we live somewhere where we can have private property and our own rights and interests...for now, at least.

Unfortunately, the land you speak of no longer exists or at the very least is going downhill fast. Not when you have small groups of radicals or individuals like the one pushing this stupid new law (or other laws) dictating to the rest of the country what they can or can't do with their own property, a President dictating through executive orders bypassing the legal process of going through Congress and people being forced to be PC and "tolerant" lest someone else be offended and made afraid to speak out for fear of being shamed and belittled and insulted by the media, PC politicians etc. This new law proposed is just another assault on individual rights that comes under the guise of doing something noble but is just another way they are showing their contempt for the rest of us slobs who are beneath them and must be told what to do for our own good.